Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maximize Pell Grant by changing Majors
Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking on this forums for a while now and just decided to join.

I have mostly finished my Gen. Ed courses from a foreign school. I am just waiting for the course by course evaluation to be sent to WGU.

My question is, I know that once I receive my Bachelors Degree, I will no longer qualify for Pell Grant for another Bachelor's or Master's.
I am just curious is there a way lets say I enroll at WGU for a BS in Business Management then once I finish my Lower Level (Minor) Courses and then finish half way or 3/4 way to my AOS (Major) Courses in BM. Is there a way I can change to BS in Information Technology?
The reason is I wanted to maximize the Pell Grant by at least knocking off Business Management courses along the way maybe finish 110/120 of the college credits required then change to BSIT and finish/get my Bachelor's degree in IT.

I am aware that you can do the trick on some community colleges by finishing multiple Associate degrees as long as you dont max-out the 12 semesters covered by Pell Grant. I was thinking of this trick on the above question.

Thank you
(10-13-2019, 07:02 PM)nosideedison Wrote: Hello Everyone,

I have mostly finished my Gen. Ed courses from a foreign school. I am just waiting for the course by course evaluation to be sent to WGU.

My question is, I know that once I receive my Bachelors Degree, I will no longer qualify for Pell Grant for another Bachelor's or Master's.
I am just curious is there a way lets say I enroll at WGU for a BS in Business Management then once I finish my Lower Level (Minor) Courses and then finish half way or 3/4 way to my AOS (Major) Courses in BM. Is there a way I can change to BS in Information Technology?
The reason is I wanted to maximize the Pell Grant by at least knocking off Business Management courses along the way maybe finish 110/120 of the college credits required then change to BSIT and finish/get my Bachelor's degree in IT.

I am aware that you can do the trick on some community colleges by finishing multiple Associate degrees as long as you dont max-out the 12 semesters covered by Pell Grant. I was thinking of this trick on the above question.

Thank you

The approach you are considering, you would be in the negative after factoring in WGU tuition cost. Depending on what state you live in, qualify for State grant and pell grant, take 12 credits at community college and use the remaining grant funds to take SL, SDC, CLEP, etc. Then finish up at WGU with another pell grant in one term.
Yes you can. You can also accomplish the same by switching schools. WGU probably isn’t economically viable though?

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
I am a bit confused by this post and not sure what exactly you are trying to accomplish. What is the goal here (what degree and what major)? And how far along are you now?

Also did you already apply for and receive the pell grant? not everyone gets it and even those who do might not get the full amount.

The best way to maximize the pell grant would be going to cheap CC either in person or online and then using the overage to pay for ACE credit. Then when you are at 90 credits finish at WGU in one term using pell for that as well.

You said you have foreign credits, note that WGU is for US residents only, if you aren't currently residing the in the US you might want to choose another school.
(10-13-2019, 09:09 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote:
(10-13-2019, 07:02 PM)nosideedison Wrote: Hello Everyone,

Thank you

The approach you are considering, you would be in the negative after factoring in WGU tuition cost. Depending on what state you live in, qualify for State grant and pell grant, take 12 credits at community college and use the remaining grant funds to take SL, SDC, CLEP, etc. Then finish up at WGU with another pell grant in one term.

Thank you for your input.
Let me breakdown my scenario to make it more detailed.
I actually prequalify for $6,195 a year on Pell Grant.
Given that the tuition cost at WGU is around $3,500 for a semester (6months). The only out-of-pocket cost for me is around $500 per semester.
The maximum transferrable credits for a BA at WGU is 75% which is around 90 credits. (I would get all those 90 credit from my previous CC credits plus taking SL, SDC and Saylor courses.
So I would need at least 30 credits to get a BSBM..
My question is on my first semester at WGU, Out of the 30 credits needed, I will only finish 21-27 credits and then I will ask them on my second semester if I can change my Major into BSIT and continue finishing BSIT and stop BSBM.

So in the end I will have a BSIT Degree, and then I am 3-9 credits away of having a BSBM degree.

(10-13-2019, 10:34 PM)natshar Wrote: I am a bit confused by this post and not sure what exactly you are trying to accomplish. What is the goal here (what degree and what major)? And how far along are you now?

Also did you already apply for and receive the pell grant? not everyone gets it and even those who do might not get the full amount.

The best way to maximize the pell grant would be going to cheap CC either in person or online and then using the overage to pay for ACE credit. Then when you are at 90 credits finish at WGU in one term using pell for that as well.

You said you have foreign credits, note that WGU is for US residents only, if you aren't currently residing the in the US you might want to choose another school.

I currently reside in the USA.

Let me breakdown my scenario to make it more detailed.
I actually prequalify for $6,195 a year on Pell Grant.
Given that the tuition cost at WGU is around $3,500 for a semester (6months). The only out-of-pocket cost for me is around $500 per semester.
The maximum transferrable credits for a BA at WGU is 75% which is around 90 credits. (I would get all those 90 credit from my previous CC credits plus taking SL, SDC and Saylor courses.
So I would need at least 30 credits to get a BSBM..
My question is on my first semester at WGU, Out of the 30 credits needed, I will only finish 21-27 credits and then I will ask them on my second semester if I can change my Major into BSIT and continue finishing BSIT and stop BSBM.

My End Goal is: Maximing Pell grant in 2-3 semester
So in the end I will have a BSIT Degree, and then I am 3-9 credits away of having a BSBM degree.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nosideedison's post:
  • natshar
But would you have to pay $3500 to do those 3-9 credits or could you somehow get them cheaper? Seems better to start on a Masters degree or grad cert.

I already asked WGU this question. Which is effectively you "double majoring" there. The answer was basically no. You can even ask their financial aid. You do one program at a time. You can't transfer in anything after starting a program (see my 'Bad Vibes about WGU' post). I thought I was clever planning the following edu hack: taking all the courses except one required in two programs at WGU and then transferring it in graduating in both programs. Nope, they have all the angles covered there.

Your best bet, start a program in Fall and Spring separately that has lax residency requirements and allows for post-enrollment transfer credits to be transferred (most except WGU allow this I find). Someone here posted the General Studies program at Eastern Illinois Uni with the 20 credit minimum. You have options.
(10-13-2019, 11:03 PM)Ideas Wrote: But would you have to pay $3500 to do those 3-9 credits or could you somehow get them cheaper? Seems better to start on a Masters degree or grad cert.

Yeah, you got a very good point there. Thank you.
I just need to weigh-in if $3500 is worth it for double BA or use that for the Master's.

(10-13-2019, 11:20 PM)ivythrowaway Wrote: I already asked WGU this question. Which is effectively you "double majoring" there. The answer was basically no. You can even ask their financial aid. You do one program at a time. You can't transfer in anything after starting a program (see my 'Bad Vibes about WGU' post). I thought I was clever planning the following edu hack: taking all the courses except one required in two programs at WGU and then transferring it in graduating in both programs. Nope, they have all the angles covered there.

Your best bet, start a program in Fall and Spring separately that has lax residency requirements and allows for post-enrollment transfer credits to be transferred (most except WGU allow this I find). Someone here posted the General Studies program at Eastern Illinois Uni with the 20 credit minimum. You have options.

Thanks for your input. I was trying to do a double major hack but I guess it won't work without spending another $3500.
I research more for options.
(10-14-2019, 09:31 AM)nosideedison Wrote:
(10-13-2019, 11:03 PM)Ideas Wrote: But would you have to pay $3500 to do those 3-9 credits or could you somehow get them cheaper? Seems better to start on a Masters degree or grad cert.

Yeah, you got a very good point there. Thank you.
I just need to weigh-in if $3500 is worth it for double BA or use that for the Master's.

(10-13-2019, 11:20 PM)ivythrowaway Wrote: I already asked WGU this question. Which is effectively you "double majoring" there. The answer was basically no. You can even ask their financial aid. You do one program at a time. You can't transfer in anything after starting a program (see my 'Bad Vibes about WGU' post). I thought I was clever planning the following edu hack: taking all the courses except one required in two programs at WGU and then transferring it in graduating in both programs. Nope, they have all the angles covered there.

Thanks for your input. I was trying to do a double major hack but I guess it won't work without spending another $3500.
I research more for options.

Pell Grants are only available for undergraduate (bachelor degrees).  Also Pell Grants are per year, so half would cover about 1 term at WGU - you would not just sign up for one 6 month term and then get a refund back on the Pell Grant balance. I would suggest you pick the bachelor degree you'd prefer and get it done; trying to beat the system often leaves you without a degree - or worse in debt.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Honestly, I'd go straight to the BSIT degree, get a good job, then pay out of pocket for the BSBA (or an MBA!) from either one of the Big3 or WGU. I expect you'd be ahead of the game over delaying your degree. You might even end up with an employer who would pay for a masters!
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  People Who Regret Their College Majors Are Sharing What Their Major Was LevelUP 22 1,348 02-26-2024, 07:34 PM
Last Post: jsd
  These associate degree majors lead to higher incomes than a 4-year bachelor's. LevelUP 4 559 10-07-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  2023-2024 Pell Grant Max: $7395 (Options to use this) bjcheung77 8 1,335 07-31-2023, 10:53 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Double Majors in College: What to Know LevelUP 0 416 06-08-2023, 10:03 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  5 Random Questions [LOR, Pell, SNHU, etc] omicreativedev 5 743 01-07-2023, 04:03 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Top 10 most-regretted majors and the degrees graduates wish they had pursued instead EDUxplorer 1 562 11-26-2022, 12:31 PM
Last Post: nomaduser
  College majors (again) and career training... bjcheung77 2 559 11-13-2022, 10:44 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Changing Demographics Alpha 0 383 10-19-2022, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Most underemployed majors according to the U.S. Census American Community Survey sanantone 33 2,831 09-01-2022, 09:43 AM
Last Post: sanantone
  10 Year Trends In College Majors Alpha 1 571 07-24-2022, 02:14 PM
Last Post: ss20ts