Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Maximizing Sophia courses at COSC
(05-27-2020, 06:18 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 12:26 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I would not consider switching between the Big 3 at all, because it's just too expensive to do so.

Instead, I'd enroll at the school where you ultimately want to get your degree, and then do that.  An AA is an unnecessary expense, and slows everything down if you switch schools.  It's thousands of dollars you don't need to spend.
Thanks,  I am currently enrolled at TESU, I agree, was just exploring different options, as for example, with COSC i'd get in-state tuition. Also with a ton of credits I already have, was wondering where to get the AA and save some time. Once that is completed it is considered as a block and do not have to worry about it anymore. There are a couple of courses that are slowing me down because they are just not my thing, and if other courses I already have can satisfy that category, that would be a time saver.

Most schools do not take an AA as a block transfer, no matter what.  You would have to tell us what school you're transferring to, to show that this is the case.  If you are referring to TESU, I guarantee you they don't take block transfers of AA's from ANY school, but definitely not from an out-of-state 4yr school.  That has never been the case.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • Tedium
Back on topic: I think I'm going to take as many of the Sophia courses as I can before the deadline. I'm going to start with Statistics to replace my ALEKS for math, then move on to Project Management for the UL credit, and then just start knocking as many out as possible.

Is there a good reason why I shouldn't do this besides the time investment? Some will duplicate CLEP exams I took 12 years ago, but they will eventually expire after 20 years anyway, and credit is credit as long as it fulfills requirements. I'm not going to try and kill myself getting through them all, just see how many I can knock out before the buzzer sounds, so it shouldn't interfere with other life/work/school plans.

Any other compelling arguments?
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
(05-24-2020, 12:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: WRITTEN COMMUNICATION
English Comp I
English Comp II

ORAL COMMUNICATION
Public Speaking

ETHICAL DECISION-MAKING
Intro to Ethics

US HISTORY/GOVERNMENT
US History I

US History II

GLOBAL UNDERSTANDING and NON-US HISTORY OR CULTURE
Religion

LITERATURE & FINE ARTS
Art History I

Art History II
Visual Communication

SOCIAL/BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE
Psychology

Sociology
Microeconomics
Macroeconomics

MATHEMATICS
College Algebra or Statistics

NATURAL SCIENCES W/O LAB
Environmental Science

Biology (don't take if you want a Bio w/Lab for the Lab science requirement)
It doesn't show that Ethics is accepted by COSC on the Sophia website.  Is this right?  Is the list on the website up to date?
(05-27-2020, 08:36 PM)nilahti2 Wrote:
(05-24-2020, 12:19 PM)dfrecore Wrote: WRITTEN COMMUNICATION
English Comp I
English Comp II

ORAL COMMUNICATION
Public Speaking

ETHICAL DECISION-MAKING
Intro to Ethics

US HISTORY/GOVERNMENT
US History I

US History II

GLOBAL UNDERSTANDING and NON-US HISTORY OR CULTURE
Religion

LITERATURE & FINE ARTS
Art History I

Art History II
Visual Communication

SOCIAL/BEHAVIORAL SCIENCE
Psychology

Sociology
Microeconomics
Macroeconomics

MATHEMATICS
College Algebra or Statistics

NATURAL SCIENCES W/O LAB
Environmental Science

Biology (don't take if you want a Bio w/Lab for the Lab science requirement)
It doesn't show that Ethics is accepted by COSC on the Sophia website.  Is this right?  Is the list on the website up to date?
The list on the Sophia site is not up to date. I’m not sure of a good way around that other than contacting COSC. Good news is that it is free right now, so you’re only out the time it takes you to complete it.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
(05-27-2020, 04:16 PM)Tedium Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 06:18 AM)Lacedonia4 Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 12:26 AM)dfrecore Wrote: I would not consider switching between the Big 3 at all, because it's just too expensive to do so.

Instead, I'd enroll at the school where you ultimately want to get your degree, and then do that.  An AA is an unnecessary expense, and slows everything down if you switch schools.  It's thousands of dollars you don't need to spend.
Thanks,  I am currently enrolled at TESU, I agree, was just exploring different options, as for example, with COSC i'd get in-state tuition. Also with a ton of credits I already have, was wondering where to get the AA and save some time. Once that is completed it is considered as a block and do not have to worry about it anymore. There are a couple of courses that are slowing me down because they are just not my thing, and if other courses I already have can satisfy that category, that would be a time saver.

What's your planned major at TESU? Just curious. Surely there is something between all the concentrations available at COSC (including Liberal and Individualized Studies) that would be easier or at least a little tempting for you. It's ultimately your call, but I would be all over that in-state tuition if I were in your shoes.

If you're interested, I'm sure we can help you piece something together.
Thanks, sorry wasn't trying to derail the topic. I was having a little crisis, and I honestly had all those questions because I wanted to arrive to a final decision.

1 Didn't know that a completed AA didn't transfer as a block.

2 I had just changed my previous major to a BA in Art but was asked to consider a different major

3 Was trying to maximize time with courses I already have. And I prefer history courses to political science ones.

4 That said I finally looked at the what ifs on TESU and with all the courses I have completed, I finally changed my major to English and I am going to continue my progress.

Thank you all for your patience with all my questions. This forum is priceless.
(05-27-2020, 10:05 AM)Clepper43 Wrote: Just be aware you are linking the 2017 requirements above. It denotes the year at bottom of page. I think they are the same, but here is the 2019-2020 requirements: https://www.charteroak.edu/catalog/curre...ements.php

interesting              
I started here                      
https://www.charteroak.edu/

clicked on Academic Programs / Associate / General Studies 

then on the new page under "Complete an Associate Degree" 
it says 
General education credit requirements must also be met. Read more about our Undergraduate Programs of Study and Degree Requirements in our Catalog.

clicking on the link for "our Catalog" takes me to the 2017 requirements            
I've never noticed before that page was an older version -- I just followed the links                  

thanks for the correct link
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • Clepper43
I know that the Sophia project management class will come in as an upper level business course, too.

I approved it with my counselor there to make sure it was pre-approved and I am taking the course now.
(05-27-2020, 06:22 PM)Tedium Wrote: Back on topic: I think I'm going to take as many of the Sophia courses as I can before the deadline. I'm going to start with Statistics to replace my ALEKS for math, then move on to Project Management for the UL credit, and then just start knocking as many out as possible.

FYI, you do not have to COMPLETE the Sophia courses before July 31st. You only have to enroll in them. You can enroll in them and set the start date to August and/or keep pushing the start date forward indefinitely until you can actually begin working on them. They'll still be free.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • Clepper43
(05-28-2020, 03:59 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(05-27-2020, 06:22 PM)Tedium Wrote: Back on topic: I think I'm going to take as many of the Sophia courses as I can before the deadline. I'm going to start with Statistics to replace my ALEKS for math, then move on to Project Management for the UL credit, and then just start knocking as many out as possible.

FYI, you do not have to COMPLETE the Sophia courses before July 31st. You only have to enroll in them. You can enroll in them and set the start date to August and/or keep pushing the start date forward indefinitely until you can actually begin working on them. They'll still be free.

I appreciate that and that is good information for people to keep in mind. I only need a math (I'm going to try and do both Statistics and Algebra) and the Project Management course, though. That's just three courses. The rest would just be for fun. July 31st is just a good stopping point for me, so I don't procrastinate anymore.

Also, I realize that I never thought it would take this long to get my BA. I never thought I would be looking at the tail end of CLEP expiration dates. I have waited so long to graduate that the FEMA, NFA, Institutes, Shmoop, and ALEKS credits I earned are no longer usable. And one of the CLEP exams I originally took, Freshman College Composition, has been retired. So finishing these courses is just an insurance policy against my bad life/decisions getting in my way again. 

That second paragraph is a little lagniappe you didn't need to know, but I'm just feeling down about it at the moment.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:

COMPLETED:
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tedium's post:
  • rachel83az

Any other compelling arguments?

Sophia has statistics available and it's FREE right now until the end of July. They have project management. Do you know for sure COSC will accept that course as an UL?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible to submit a blank page to Sophia histourism 12 409 4 hours ago
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Sophia | US Government bradonomics 6 875 Yesterday, 03:22 PM
Last Post: hsufeng
  Recent Sophia.org Membership Code bjcheung77 118 61,927 Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Sophia Human Biology lab tdat314 1 108 04-22-2024, 06:31 PM
  Can sophia credit transfer to two different schools? GoBroncos95 11 494 04-18-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  Is there a list of which Sophia courses have touchstones? MaMichelle 9 7,430 04-17-2024, 06:22 AM
Last Post: mdn
  Does Sophia track what sites you've visited? Chickenfat2024 10 738 04-13-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Sophia English Comp II vs CLEP College Composition davemodular 15 993 04-09-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia.org while attending UMPI your pace - history major Atwygon 4 256 04-08-2024, 05:06 PM
  New Sophia Courses: Health, Fitness, and Wellness and Anatomy & Physiology II Lab LevelUP 16 982 04-08-2024, 11:51 AM
Last Post: Kab