Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meeting TESU's waiver requirement as an 18 year old
I'll have 5 AP courses under my belt when I leave HS this year, but I know I still need to either be in the military, have 24 RA credits, or take an Accuplacer test to enroll at TESU since I'm under 20. 

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/u...ons-policy

I was planning on taking 8 TECEPs that overlap with my eventual plan for a BABS in Accounting. 

Does that seem like a sensible approach to this? I'm also assuming that the TECEP counts as RA for the waiver which I'm not 100% sure on either. Undecided
I would not rely on the TECEPs being RA for this purpose. You do have to apply to TESU to be able to take TECEPs in the first place. For most people, this isn't an issue. But for international and "underage" students it could be.

Instead, I would suggest using TEL Learning and/or Olivet to get credits. TEL would be $200 per class and Olivet would be $150. TEL would allow you to start taking classes immediately while Olivet requires that you have a HS transcript. I assume that by "this year" you mean approximately May or June so waiting until then to start ONU classes (if you choose them over TEL) shouldn't be a huge burden. Use the extra time to start making plans and/or obtaining any necessary credits from Sophia.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/TEL_Learning
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ol...University
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • thecontrarian
(04-25-2021, 09:26 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I would not rely on the TECEPs being RA for this purpose. You do have to apply to TESU to be able to take TECEPs in the first place. For most people, this isn't an issue. But for international and "underage" students it could be.

Instead, I would suggest using TEL Learning and/or Olivet to get credits. TEL would be $200 per class and Olivet would be $150. TEL would allow you to start taking classes immediately while Olivet requires that you have a HS transcript. I assume that by "this year" you mean approximately May or June so waiting until then to start ONU classes (if you choose them over TEL) shouldn't be a huge burden. Use the extra time to start making plans and/or obtaining any necessary credits from Sophia.

https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/TEL_Learning
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Ol...University

@rachel83az - thank you!!!! I'm not planning to start until June at the earliest so Olivet will work out great.
(04-25-2021, 09:19 AM)thecontrarian Wrote: I'll have 5 AP courses under my belt when I leave HS this year, but I know I still need to either be in the military, have 24 RA credits, or take an Accuplacer test to enroll at TESU since I'm under 20. 

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/catalog/u...ons-policy

I was planning on taking 8 TECEPs that overlap with my eventual plan for a BABS in Accounting. 

Does that seem like a sensible approach to this? I'm also assuming that the TECEP counts as RA for the waiver which I'm not 100% sure on either. Undecided

I would apply with the accuplacer. You take it online through TESU. They will send you the info when you fill out the age waiver petition request. https://eforms.tesu.edu/appnet/adm3.html...1619380086  My daughter did it a few months ago. The process and test were super easy. The accuplacer for TESU only includes reading comprehension, sentence skills, and arithmetic. That's it.

By doing this you would get up to 3 academic evaluations. Then you would need to enroll (using a TECEP) and the evaluations are unlimited.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Murdockb's post:
  • thecontrarian
Instead of doing the 24 RA credits why not just do the accuplacer. Seems easier to me if you already plan on using TECEPs for your 24 RA credit.

Oh and to clarify. TECEPs do count towards the 30 RA credits. But they don't count towards the 16 RA credits at TESU so you still have to pay the residency waiver.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • thecontrarian
(04-25-2021, 03:13 PM)natshar Wrote: Instead of doing the 24 RA credits why not just do the accuplacer. Seems easier to me if you already plan on using TECEPs for your 24 RA credit.

Oh and to clarify. TECEPs do count towards the 30 RA credits. But they don't count towards the 16 RA credits at TESU so you still have to pay the residency waiver.

The TECEPs do count if you are 20+ years old, yes. But I'm not sure that you're allowed to even take TECEPs if you're not at least 20 years of age. You can't just rock up and take a TECEP in the same way that you can sign up to take a UExcel.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • natshar, thecontrarian
(04-25-2021, 03:55 PM)rachel83az Wrote:
(04-25-2021, 03:13 PM)natshar Wrote: Instead of doing the 24 RA credits why not just do the accuplacer. Seems easier to me if you already plan on using TECEPs for your 24 RA credit.

The TECEPs do count if you are 20+ years old, yes. But I'm not sure that you're allowed to even take TECEPs if you're not at least 20 years of age. You can't just rock up and take a TECEP in the same way that you can sign up to take a UExcel.

Yeah I think we are different things. Yes TECEPs count as the RA credit.

But if you are under 20 my understanding was to have 24 RA credits OR take the accuplacer. 

To me the accuplacer seems easier, especially since OP plans on using TECEPs anyways. Then once admitted after sufficent accuplacer scores, then the student would be admitted as TESU student. Which would make it so they would be able to register for TECEPs. However, the TECEPs don't count towards the 16 credits taken at TESU (those must be actual courses) so then the student would have to pay the residency waiver fee if didn't have 16 credits in actual courses at TESU.
[-] The following 1 user Likes natshar's post:
  • thecontrarian
I would say that if you're a good test-taker, you might want to consider some UExcel exams. You might also want to consider COSC or EC instead of TESU - they're both cheaper.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • samiam, thecontrarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 195 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  LUO or TESU for BSBA kimberlyagapril 5 186 04-16-2024, 01:06 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Going back to school at 29 for CS with only freshman year of college completed RejuvenationOclock 8 646 04-10-2024, 11:40 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU - BA CS + BS CIS ahmedeo0510@gmail.com 12 385 04-03-2024, 12:34 PM
  Almost 40 year old with foreign BA in English degree and Santa Monica College Cert KMcLean 12 1,002 03-25-2024, 08:12 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 453 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  TESU BACS course selection for OMSCS warre 29 1,016 03-14-2024, 03:47 PM
Last Post: warre
  LU to TESU or UMPI - please help! CharisandJon 17 779 03-14-2024, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA in Communications at TESU Deetzin 2 225 03-12-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  BSBA CIS Area of Study @ TESU Vin 21 1,378 02-09-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: LevelUP