Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mesrop Mashtops University
This Armenian University is ranked last in Europe (#5773).  If you'd like to check out who's first, and everyone in between then you can see it all here.
http://webometrics.info/en/Europe
His last name is MASHTOTS, not Mashtops. And he's a Saint in the Armenian Church. Too bad about the University ranking - St. Mesrop himself was a man of many accomplishments. Among these, he invented the currently-used Armenian alphabet in 405 A.D.

The University bearing his name should try to do better!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesrop_Mashtots

If you're into Armenian distance education at all, you might like this place: Armenian Virtual College. Interesting, to say the least.
https://www.avc-agbu.org/assets/resource...ure_en.pdf

They offer a Master's in Armenian Language and also a Masterclass in Chess, in conjunction with the Armenian Chess Federation. They don't seem to have much in the way of accreditation that would stand up here - but say they're working on accreditation that would be international - I know no details.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Johann's post:
  • Zardoz
They also rank universities in North America. Princeton and the University of Chicago are ranked, respectively, 83rd and 85th, behind institutions such as the University of Alabama-Birmingham, Wayne State University, and the University of Houston. Those are fine schools, don’t mean to disparage them, but they are pretty objectively, at best, the 3rd best universities in Alabama, Michigan, and Texas in terms of academic reputation, value of degree, etc.

If you note in their methodology, the rankings are all about open access to academic information. How they purport to measure that is odd, IMHO. It is worth noting that they are not setting out to rank universities on academic quality, reputations, value of degree or any similar metric.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
(03-07-2021, 12:35 PM)Johann Wrote: His last name is  MASHTOTS, not Mashtops. And he's a Saint in the Armenian Church. Too bad about the University ranking - St. Mesrop himself was a man of many accomplishments. Among these, he invented the currently-used Armenian alphabet in 405 A.D.

Yeah, sorry about messing up the name.  As can be seen, he was quite an accomplished guy
Mesrop Mashtots - Wikipedia
(03-07-2021, 12:35 PM)Johann Wrote: His last name is  MASHTOTS, not Mashtops. And he's a Saint in the Armenian Church. Too bad about the University ranking - St. Mesrop himself was a man of many accomplishments. Among these, he invented the currently-used Armenian alphabet in 405 A.D.

The University bearing his name should try to do better!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesrop_Mashtots

If you're into Armenian distance education at all, you might like this place: Armenian Virtual College. Interesting, to say the least.
https://www.avc-agbu.org/assets/resource...ure_en.pdf

They offer a Master's in Armenian Language and also a Masterclass in Chess, in conjunction with the Armenian Chess Federation. They don't seem to have much in the way of accreditation that would stand up here - but say they're working on accreditation that would be international - I know no details.

The AVC is accredited by the government. So it is legal and recognized there. I enroll in their classes for credits (Eastern Armenian, Armenian History). I didn't enroll in the MA program, but the credits I took can be counted if I take the MA.
In Progress:
BS Statistics + BS Physics, Indonesia, 2023
MSc ML/AI (LJMU, UK), 2022
Completed:
PGDip ML/AI (IIITB, India), 2021
BE Civil Engineering, Universitas Pelita Harapan, 2017
(03-07-2021, 03:52 PM)freeloader Wrote: They also rank universities in North America. Princeton and the University of Chicago are ranked, respectively, 83rd and 85th, behind institutions such as the University of Alabama-Birmingham, Wayne State University, and the University of Houston. Those are fine schools, don’t mean to disparage them, but they are pretty objectively, at best, the 3rd best universities in Alabama, Michigan, and Texas in terms of academic reputation, value of degree, etc.

If you note in their methodology, the rankings are all about open access to academic information. How they purport to measure that is odd, IMHO.  It is worth noting that they are not setting out to rank universities on academic quality, reputations, value of degree or any similar metric.

HAHAHA The schools ranked better than Princeton is HILARIOUS! That place is Ivy League so it's no joke. Love these kinds of lists. They're usually pretty goofy. This one might win as the worst though. 
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Johann
ss20ts: HAHAHA The schools ranked better than Princeton is HILARIOUS! That place is Ivy League so it's no joke. Love these kinds of lists. They're usually pretty goofy. This one might win as the worst though.

Me: Right. Maybe the list should rank #5773 (last) in the World Compilation Of University Ranking Lists!
(03-07-2021, 10:08 PM)asianphd Wrote: The AVC is accredited by the government. So it is legal and recognized there. I enroll in their classes for credits (Eastern Armenian, Armenian History). I didn't enroll in the MA program, but the credits I took can be counted if I take the MA.

Could you tell me more about the Eastern Armenian classes? How do they work, how expensive are they, etc. I've always had a soft spot for languages and Armenian seems fascinating...
(03-13-2021, 03:33 PM)Zardoz Wrote:
(03-07-2021, 10:08 PM)asianphd Wrote: The AVC is accredited by the government. So it is legal and recognized there. I enroll in their classes for credits (Eastern Armenian, Armenian History). I didn't enroll in the MA program, but the credits I took can be counted if I take the MA.

Could you tell me more about the Eastern Armenian classes? How do they work, how expensive are they, etc. I've always had a soft spot for languages and Armenian seems fascinating...

They have three types of classes: Asynchronous (8 or 16 weeks), instructor-guided and blended learning. I enrolled in the 16 weeks Asynchronous one, so it is self-paced. I am not sure how another mode of learning works.
Currently, I take three classes: Eastern Armenian, Armenian History, Chess. I take them for credits (except Chess don't offer for a credit)

The normal tuition fee per class is $199. But they come with another bonus:
- By paying the tuition for one course, applicants can take a second course of their choice tuition-free at another department. The offer is limited to the same academic term.
- A student getting an “A” grade for a course will receive back his/her full paid tuition fee as a credit for a future course at AVC within the same academic year.

They are also offering a scholarship, but you need to apply for it: https://avc-agbu.org/en/enrollment/tutio...rship.html

Nb: I didn't pay for the current class I took because they are offering temporary free tuition during the pandemic. Not sure if the free class is still offered or not.

The class is like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LITU7vlcZI8 (Except the part where you interact with the instructor because I took the asynchronous one) and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsDCF0j84TQ 
In Progress:
BS Statistics + BS Physics, Indonesia, 2023
MSc ML/AI (LJMU, UK), 2022
Completed:
PGDip ML/AI (IIITB, India), 2021
BE Civil Engineering, Universitas Pelita Harapan, 2017
[-] The following 1 user Likes asianphd's post:
  • Zardoz
(03-14-2021, 03:02 AM)asianphd Wrote: They have three types of classes: Asynchronous (8 or 16 weeks), instructor-guided and blended learning. I enrolled in the 16 weeks Asynchronous one, so it is self-paced. I am not sure how another mode of learning works.

I note the language classes have a mid-term and final exam. How are these proctored? Are they written, or is it a spoken exam?

Really interested in this for personal learning. And if they can be transferred as well, that would be amazing.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,578 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 347 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,754 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,799 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 762 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,317 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,782 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 411 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 572 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,623 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff