Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved
Hey everyone!

I wanted to make a thread about several problems I encountered and ended up fixing after not seeing any way to resolve them or getting an answer from anywhere (either no one's reported them back or no one's tried it yet).

Originally, I wanted to write everything down here, but it ended up being way too long to do so without doing several posts about it. So, I decided to attach the document that I made that has all the info about it. It also has information on some courses that you can try to do before officially enrolling at Metropolia in case you want to see if it's something you want to dedicate your time and energy to.

I hope you find it useful!

.docx   Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved.docx (Size: 17.9 KB / Downloads: 76)
[-] The following 7 users Like mariobros1985's post:
  • Jaafar, jjlumc, lucillegyl, Pikachu, rachel83az, thunderstruck, Tomas
Thanks, I've already received study rights for path studies and will be arranging log-in soon.
This is great! Because of the popularity of Metropolia, I'll be creating their own page on the wiki (as XAMK has) and this information will be invaluable.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
For the Lurkers that cannot download files:
Quote:
Quote:First, I wasn't able to enroll to Metropolia's Nonstop courses at first using the XAMK HAKA login. I didn't know at first why that was the case, so I went and enrolled to the first course that I would complete called Introduction to Artificial Intelligence and confirmed my identity with Metropolia through secure email.

I was given the login credentials and reset my password according to the instructions. After I finished my first course and received my "H" grade (basically a "Pass" or "Credit" grade in the US), I found out that I couldn't use the HAKA with my Metropolia account to login and enroll for more Nonstop courses because it gave me a system error just like the XAMK HAKA login.

That's when I contacted Metropolia's help desk and they told me this: "I'm sorry, but you can't use HAKA-login cause you don't have  saved Finnish Personal ID number in studentregistry.

You probably don't have Finnish online banking credentials, to use suomi.fi, so better use the weak authentication. Please send a message to avoinamk@metropolia.fi after enrolment and ask to have your new enrolment merged with your old student id when they transfer your new enrolment. Atherwise you get a new ID and email in to the systems.

I will send message to system maintainer, that they have to put there better announsment HAKA, when this situation will came."

That's when I realized that I probably wasn't able to use the XAMK HAKA login as well because I didn't have a Finnish Personal ID number saved in the student registry. Also, the program coordinator as of right now, Virve Prami, ended up helping me do these account changes for changing over my Nonstop courses that I enrolled to to my old account, not avoinamk@metropolia.fi.

So, the basic idea is that it can get a little convoluted to enroll for the initial Nonstop course(s) at Metropolia and then also when enrolling for more, but there's an easier way to enroll for more courses while also getting your final grade at the same time.

Basically, instead of enrolling and having a new account made to you and then requesting to then transfer the courses to your original account and then finally having the new account closed, you can do the following:

For courses that are on this list (https://users.metropolia.fi/~salja/nonst...op_ENG.pdf) or on the Viope platform (not all of the ones on Viope are on the list for some reason), you just follow the instructions to pass the course (some courses want either an 80% or 100% completion and some even a learning diary; please check the notifications of the course you enrolled to for any additional requirements and go to https://www.metropolia.fi/en/academics/open-university-courses/nonstop-virtual-studies-information-and-communication-technology and select the course you want to enroll to to see more information about passing it) and then send an email to viopesupport@metropolia.fi to have the course graded (include your name and Metropolia student number as well as a screenshot proving that you finished the course and a learning diary, if required). The person or people behind that support email will manually add the course to your account along with the grade (either an "H" or a 0-5 grade depending on the course) if everything looks good.

For courses other than the ones listed on the list, you will need to either contact the Viope support email for more information or follow the instructions for these 2 courses that I completed:

For the course "Data Structures and Algorithms", please sign up to the platform or add the course using this link (https://codio.co.uk/p/signup?courseToken=ambient-opinion), complete everything it lets you do and then write a 3–5-page learning diary of what you learned from the entire course.

For the course "Introduction to Operating Systems", please sign up to the platform or add the course using this link (https://codio.co.uk/p/signup?courseToken=ozone-cobra), complete everything and then write a 3-5 page learning diary of what you learned from the entire course.

Once again, once you finish the desired course (please only send one email per finished course), contact viopesupport@metropolia.fi with an attachment/screenshot that proves that you finished the course, attach your learning diary (if needed) and then write your name and Metropolia student number and if everything looks good, they'll give you a grade.

Some of the courses that I did or am doing that are on the Viope platform that have a learning diary are Artificial Intelligence with Python, Robotic Process Automation (RPA), and Software Testing Automation using Robot Framework (the 3 ECTS courses tend to have a 2-page learning diary requirement while the 5 ECTS courses tend to have a 3–5-page learning diary requirement).

Also, please don't contact Viope support if you're not a student or don't have your student credentials yet as I don't think they can help you out yet.

Oh yeah, I think I'll write my experiences of the courses I've taken so far sometime later, but for now, you can try out and do the courses that I've both linked to and listed above.

Next, for the payments to Metropolia, I've got a bit of a story as well.

If you're a foreigner, you will need to select the option to pay later with an invoice when enrolling for the first Nonstop course(s) and they will send you the invoice to your personal email later.

I paid it using a wire transfer with my bank since there aren’t that many other ways to pay it, although you will probably end up paying at least a little more than the fee you owe due to currency conversions and any fees that apply like for sending money internationally.

I sent several emails to Metropolia to see if they received payment for the first course I enrolled for, but never heard back. I even used a Google Voice phone number to call them and they said that they would escalate the issue or something along those lines, but nothing else came of it.

I subsequently enrolled for 2 more courses (Data Structures and Algorithms and Introduction to Operating Systems) and even had Viope support manually add and put the grade for several other courses and they haven’t contacted me to arrange payments or give me an invoice or anything. They also haven’t terminated my right to study neither, so I can at least take more courses as needed. Weird, but I can’t do much else about it.

Finally, for sending official transcript of records to an evaluation service in the US (I haven’t tried it yet as I haven’t completed all the courses that I want yet), I contacted Metropolia to see if they could send the official transcript of records to an evaluation service in the US or any third party with my permission and they gave me a pleasant surprise:

“Hello,

Thank you for your message. If we receive the email address from you, we can send the document via email. We do not send documents via mail.”

This basically confirms that they do indeed send official transcripts to third parties and this opens up the door to many more evaluation agencies in the US (I think even WES)!

I haven’t tried it yet, but if someone wants to try it before me and report back, please be my guest.

[-] The following 3 users Like elcastor21's post:
  • Jaafar, Pikachu, ZO10
I have been unable to log into my metropolia account and it has been like 2 months. I think I did the passport verification and that went fine, but I still can't enter the viope course hurdle. It's like I have the opposite problem everyone else has. I sent at least 2 emails but nobody answers me. At the rate I am unable to enter the account, I guess I am going to get a 0 on the ciurse I enrolled in.
(09-19-2023, 04:03 PM)Avidreader Wrote: I have been unable to log into my metropolia account and it has been like 2 months. I think I did the passport verification and that went fine, but I still can't enter the viope course hurdle. It's like I have the opposite problem everyone else has. I sent at least 2 emails but nobody answers me. At the rate I am unable to enter the account, I guess I am going to get a 0 on the ciurse I enrolled in.

First of all, you need to make a separate account in Viope in order to access the courses that you enrolled to. Follow this link (https://vw4.viope.com/login?org=metropolia) and then follow these instructions: Press on "Enroll on the course" and then fill in the required information (if you enrolled for several courses, select the first one you would like to enroll to in Viope just to sign up). Make sure you send an email to viopesupport@metropolia.fi and let them know that you finished the course to get it graded (follow the instructions that I included in my attachment from this thread).

Next, if you haven't gotten your login credentials yet, you may want to contact virve.prami@metropolia.fi in order to get them and tell her that you already verified your identity. You may get a secure message to either verify it again or you will get your login information. I remember that I went to this website to get my password reset to use my account for the first time: http://activation.metropolia.fi/

Also, I have something else to say.

First, I think I should clarify something as I think I might've explained it a little poorly. Basically, you don't get a HAKA login when you enroll to courses with Metropolia using the method to verify your identity later with the passport or with a driver's license like I did. You only get an account that can be used exclusively for Metropolia's services. I found this out when I tried to enroll for more courses with the HAKA method and when trying to log in with HAKA to Metropolia's Moodle services; it didn't let me at all. The email that I received saying that I didn't have a saved Finnish personal ID number in the student registry explains why. I had to use the Metropolia login for Moodle and had to use the option to verify my identity later and transfer the courses from the new to the old account in order to enroll for the courses.

Second, I think it's not important for most people, but if you want to use your Metropolia email account located at mail.metropolia.fi, you need to either be in Finland or use a VPN set to Finland. I tried using it without a VPN and in other virtual locations and it didn't let me access the mail.metropolia.fi page.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mariobros1985's post:
  • Pikachu
That is precisely the email that I sent twice in vain, the viope support one. Almost 6 weeks and crickets. I have a Metropolia login, that was oddly the smooth part for me. Everyone has a hard time getting that and it was so easy for me. But nope, the viope hurdle so far has been impossible. I don't know if you have to email them on the viope email everyday or any tips.
(09-19-2023, 04:59 PM)mariobros1985 Wrote:
(09-19-2023, 04:03 PM)Avidreader Wrote: I have been unable to log into my metropolia account and it has been like 2 months. I think I did the passport verification and that went fine, but I still can't enter the viope course hurdle. It's like I have the opposite problem everyone else has. I sent at least 2 emails but nobody answers me. At the rate I am unable to enter the account, I guess I am going to get a 0 on the ciurse I enrolled in.

First of all, you need to make a separate account in Viope in order to access the courses that you enrolled to. Follow this link (https://vw4.viope.com/login?org=metropolia) and then follow these instructions: Press on "Enroll on the course" and then fill in the required information (if you enrolled for several courses, select the first one you would like to enroll to in Viope just to sign up). Make sure you send an email to viopesupport@metropolia.fi and let them know that you finished the course to get it graded (follow the instructions that I included in my attachment from this thread).

Next, if you haven't gotten your login credentials yet, you may want to contact virve.prami@metropolia.fi in order to get them and tell her that you already verified your identity. You may get a secure message to either verify it again or you will get your login information. I remember that I went to this website to get my password reset to use my account for the first time: http://activation.metropolia.fi/

First, I think I should clarify something as I think I might've explained it a little poorly. Basically, you don't get a HAKA login when you enroll to courses with Metropolia using the method to verify your identity later with the passport or with a driver's license like I did. You only get an account that can be used exclusively for Metropolia's services. I found this out when I tried to enroll for more courses with the HAKA method and when trying to log in with HAKA to Metropolia's Moodle services; it didn't let me at all. The email that I received saying that I didn't have a saved Finnish personal ID number in the student registry explains why. I had to use the Metropolia login for Moodle and had to use the option to verify my identity later and transfer the courses from the new to the old account in order to enroll for the courses.

Second, I think it's not important for most people, but if you want to use your Metropolia email account located at mail.metropolia.fi, you need to either be in Finland or use a VPN set to Finland. I tried using it without a VPN and in other virtual locations and it didn't let me access the mail.metropolia.fi page.

Just a small clarification - HAKA is for logging into other universities. You cannot log in via HAKA at XAMK if the credentials are provided by XAMK. You cannot login via HAKA at Metropolia if the credentials are provided by Metropolia. You have to use the universities own login. HAKA is strictly for credit logging at institutions other than your own "home" one, that is the whole point of the HAKA network. So it is unsurprising that you were not able to do this at Metropolia - this is not a glitch.

I am surprised you couldn't log in via HAKA at Metropolia using XAMK credentials though. Worked fine for me, and I don't have a Finnish ID. Also at U Helsinki.
(09-19-2023, 05:48 PM)Avidreader Wrote: That is precisely the email that I sent twice in vain, the viope support one. Almost 6 weeks and crickets. I have a Metropolia login, that was oddly the smooth part for me. Everyone has a hard time getting that and it was so easy for me. But nope, the viope hurdle so far has been impossible. I don't know if you have to email them on the viope email everyday or any tips.

That's weird. Viope support has always responded to my questions and has graded my classes and let me know when it was done. The most they've taken was like 5 days for my Intro to Operating Systems class, but they've always been not too slow to respond.

First, I would make sure that you have written the right email and then check if your messages were sent correctly. Make sure your mailbox can receive messages and that the messages you're sending aren't encrypted.

If none of the basic troubleshooting works, I would probably assume that they missed your email if you only sent one because they should take a max of 4 weeks to grade your course. Send them another email and wait a few days for them to respond. If that doesn't work, I would probably email avoinamk@metropolia.fi and let them know that Viope support didn't respond to you. They will likely forward the email to them and then you will likely get a faster response that way.

(09-19-2023, 08:31 PM)sarahmac Wrote:
(09-19-2023, 04:59 PM)mariobros1985 Wrote:

Just a small clarification - HAKA is for logging into other universities. You cannot log in via HAKA at XAMK if the credentials are provided by XAMK. You cannot login via HAKA at Metropolia if the credentials are provided by Metropolia. You have to use the universities own login. HAKA is strictly for credit logging at institutions other than your own "home" one, that is the whole point of the HAKA network. So it is unsurprising that you were not able to do this at Metropolia - this is not a glitch.

I am surprised you couldn't log in via HAKA at Metropolia using XAMK credentials though. Worked fine for me, and I don't have a Finnish ID. Also at U Helsinki.

I couldn't enroll for courses using the XAMK HAKA login at all. I kept getting a system error message and I couldn't get it fixed at all. I ended up doing the alternative way of enrolling by proving my identity through secure email.

Thanks for the HAKA info as well! I guess I might be mistaken and I could probably login to another Finnish university that way, although I did get the email saying that I didn't have that Finnish ID thing to enroll for more courses with the HAKA login method.
For whatever it's worth, I was initially not able to sign up with my XAMK HAKA login either. But I did as much as I could, then emailed Metropolia. Someone fixed something at that point and I was able to log in.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,666 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 355 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,767 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,835 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 778 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,347 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,812 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 420 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 603 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia onboarding Sherwood 1 345 02-18-2024, 11:12 AM
Last Post: Tomas