Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Microsoft MTA - Certiport Exams from home with IT Expert System
To receive ACE-endorsed credits for the Microsoft MTA exams, testing must be done through Pearson Certiport. Pearson's other testing brand, PearsonVUE, is not covered by the ACE reviews for some Microsoft certifications.  

Certiport does not have very many authorized testing centers. At this time, there are none in my state. Right now, due to the pandemic, Certiport is temporarily offering an Exams from Home option. The website only documents instructions for educational institutions to register their own candidates. However, thanks to Certiport support, I discovered how to utilize this option as an unaffiliated individual. Unlike most remote proctoring systems, which use a proctoring service, test takers must find an authorized organization to sponsor and proctor their exam. This process is not intuitive or documented anywhere, so I've described it below. 

First, you'll need a Certiport voucher for the exam. Buy one at https://shop.certiport.com/Default.asp or any other source. Then, go to your Certiport portal. Make an account if you don't already have one. Set the password to something memorable because you'll need to remember it when logging in to the exam. Take the voucher code that you purchased, and assign it to yourself using the box near the bottom of the main portal screen. This voucher will then be ready and waiting for you when you sign in to the exam from home.  

Next, you'll need to find a Certiport authorized testing center willing to proctor outside individuals remotely. I emailed several centers I found via the locator. Several responded right away, offering to work with me. In the end, I selected IT Expert System in Northern Illinois. 
Here are the steps to register and take a Certiport exam from home with ITEXPS: 
Email info@itexps.com and request their upcoming slots for Certiport Exams from Home. Include your name and the specific exam you want. Someone should reply to you soon with a list of sessions with openings. Pick one, and head over to the payment page. Pay the proctoring fee ($30.90 weekday, $41.20 weekend), and include your personal/exam details in the notes as instructed. After paying, you'll receive an enrollment number on the payment screen. Respond to the staff email from earlier with your selected slot, enrollment number, and a picture of the front of your photo ID. They'll reply with confirmation and test instructions.  

Fifteen minutes before the scheduled slot, the proctor sends a link to your email. This link will not be active until the beginning of your exam timeslot. Clicking it will open a remote session to the proctoring center's computer within your browser. Be sure to make the browser window full screen, so it works correctly. The proctor will check you in, and then you'll sign in to your Certiport account and select the voucher you assigned earlier. After that, you'll take the exam using the software on the remote computer. There is quite a bit of jank and control weirdness due to the remote application system. Despite that, my exam worked well enough. At the end, you'll get to review your score report. My results were instantly reported to Certiport.  

I would definitely recommend IT Expert System to anyone looking to take a Certiport Exam from home. They were great to work with, responded to my emails right away, and handled everything smoothly and efficiently. I did not have to wait at all when starting or finishing my exam.
TESU Class of 2024 BSBA-CIS+GM, BSIT, ASNSM-CS+Math, AAS-GEN
Earned credits from Sophia, SDC, ASU ULC, TEEX, Microsoft, Strayer, TESU, Saylor, DSST, CLEP, CompTIA, StraighterLine, and others since starting in April 2020
[-] The following 3 users Like jch's post:
  • DaveO, katsiki, rachel83az
That sounds super complicated to figure out on your own. Thank you so much for sharing the process here.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210