Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military Language Test
For those in the U.S. military who happen to be multi-lingual, you can take the Defense Language Proficiency Test for college credit. The credit recommendations can be found at:

http://www.acenet.edu/AM/Template.cfm?Se...entID=6962

There are three sections of the test: Listening, Reading, and Speaking. It is possible that not all three sections of the test will be available at your testing center. Contact your military college office for more information.

I bring this up because the potential credits earned are HUGE. One of my coworkers recently took the Korean version of the DLPT version 5. At our college office you can only take the Listening and Speaking. She maxed out the version she took, and netted herself 30 credits of Korean (10 lower, 20 upper) for about 5 hours of her time.
[SIZE="1"]CLEP exams passed:
Management, Accounting, Marketing, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

M.S. in Leadership: Business Ethics from Duquesne University [/SIZE]
Old Rusty Pipe Wrote:She maxed out the version she took, and netted herself 30 credits of Korean (10 lower, 20 upper) for about 5 hours of her time.

[COLOR="Navy"]What an incredible benefit!!

Now it's off to watch M*A*S*H re-runs to see how much Korean I can pick up! Rolleyes Big Grin [/COLOR]
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
Old Rusty Pipe Wrote:For those in the U.S. military who happen to be multi-lingual, you can take the Defense Language Proficiency Test for college credit. The credit recommendations can be found at:

http://www.acenet.edu/AM/Template.cfm?Se...entID=6962

There are three sections of the test: Listening, Reading, and Speaking. It is possible that not all three sections of the test will be available at your testing center. Contact your military college office for more information.

I bring this up because the potential credits earned are HUGE. One of my coworkers recently took the Korean version of the DLPT version 5. At our college office you can only take the Listening and Speaking. She maxed out the version she took, and netted herself 30 credits of Korean (10 lower, 20 upper) for about 5 hours of her time.

Can non-military take these exams??? I passed the Spanish CLEP pretty good and would love to have these units.
ImustStudy
----------------------------------------
A.S. Liberal Arts- Excelsior College 2007
B.S. Criminal Justice- Excelsior College 2008
M.B.A.- California Coast University 2012
EdS- Liberty University 2014
EdD- Liberty University 2016

Miscellaneous graduate coursework from University of The Rockies and California InterContinental University (that did me absolutely NO GOOD whatsoever)
IMustStudy, I have to give you a probable no. There are specific instances of non-military taking the DLPT, but I do believe you either have to be a civilian employed for a miltiary branch or another branch of the government.

A note of caution, I am not that intimately familiar with the ins and outs of this exam. I'm not bilingual, so I haven't had a lot of reason to investigate this avenue of credit to much.

The Defense Language Institute is the body responsible for creating and overseeing the DLPT. Their website is:

Defense Language Institute Foreign Language Center

You coult try contacting them. Perhaps there is a way for you to take the test. You could try emailing them, or just give them a direct call. I'd encourage you to be persistent until you get an answer either away.

Alas, the best answer I can give is one of ignorance. All I know is that I could take it. I'm not sure about civilians.

It doesn't hurt to kick the issue around until you get an answer.

It is a lot of credits.

DSST exams passed:
Human Resources Management, Organizational Behavior, Statistics, Management Information Systems

Earned:
B.A. in Business Administration: Technology Management from Saint Leo University

IMustStudy, I'd like to add for you to please post whatever you find out. I'm very interested in what the answer might be.

DSST exams passed:

Earned:

Hello ImustStudy, I can tell you of an alternative to get several credits on languages. I have been able to get 40 credits just in languages. I'm currently enrolled with EC.
Here's the breakdown: 16 credits [4 UL] from NYU Language Proficiency Exam (Spanish), 12 credits [2 UL] from ACTFL, Oral Proficiency Interview approved by ACE (Spanish), plus 12 credits CLEP (French).
The NYU exam will test your listening, grammar and writing abilities. You can get a maximum of 16 credits for Spanish. If you are proficient in a different language, you may be able to get more credits since they scale it differently. The ACTFL Oral Proficiency Interview is basically that _ a proctored interview over the phone. You may get up to 12 credits in Spanish and again, if you speak something other than what the call Level 1 languages, you may be able to get more than that. Check the ACE website under the ACTFL for the breakdown on the different languages. As I read, you are familiar with the CLEP. I took the French version and counts as 12 credits for Humanities (with a score of 62 or more).
A word of caution though, the NYU exam is a lot different than the Clep; you will have to write a lot. In order to get the 16 credits, you will have to write an essay (I think it has to be over 300 words) on a subject that they give you. Also, the CLEP Spanish and the NYU Spanish exam duplicate each other. On the Oral Interview, they check your level of oral proficiency by having you talk about an array of subjects. In order to get the 12 credits, they want you to have a pretty good command of the language.
I suggest you look into these options and check specifically for the languages that you feel comfortable with. If you speak some middle eastern or oriental language, you may be able to get more credits.
This is one of the instances where speaking more than one language really pays off.
Good luck!
Mateo
I have to update you, I received a status report from EC, and they are taking away 4 lower level credits for the Oral Proficiency Interview. I guess they can only award you with a certain amount of lower level credits in one language. So from the 40 credits I mentioned, I got 36 credits, 6 of which are UL.
Still, it is a good deal.
Good luck!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 2,929 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,574 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,532 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Temporary GRE General Test Option ROYISAGIRL 3 1,326 04-14-2020, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Clepper43
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,773 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,874 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,924 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,254 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,358 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DraftKings Partners With VetsinTech to Offer Free Coding Training to Ex-Military Memb decimon 0 2,090 06-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Last Post: decimon