Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Military breaking a lease?
Does anyone have experience getting out of the military and moving back to your home of record?

I know the Navy will pay to move all of my stuff back to my home of record, but I don't believe I can break my current lease unless I have permanant change of station orders in hand... which (I don't think) I can break my lease just because I'm voluntarily separating.

It wouldn't do anyone any good to be able to move all your household goods across the country on the militarys' dime, but not be able to get out of your current lease...

Does anyone have experience on this?
You CAN break your current lease. You will receive seperation orders from your seperations clerk at PSD; these will serve as official military orders. The military clause requires 30 days notice, so be sure to allow them plenty of time to get them to you, however they are not difficult to produce.

Be sure to attend TAP class and take as many of the benefits the Navy has to offer.
Yes I'm actually in TAPS now... quite informative.

There are some things they leave out... like (in my opinion) some BS clauses to the VA home loan and what not, but eh, it's the VA so I don't expect much.
If I were you I would not get out of the military now. Jobs are few an far in between and even people who have degrees are finding the job world hard to swallow. I retired in 2006 and I thought I had enough experience and credentials to get a good paying job, there were really not there. So my advice is to stay in until the economy is better. Also when you get out you loose benefit you thought you would never miss. Just something for you to chew on.

MA2 Wrote:Does anyone have experience getting out of the military and moving back to your home of record?

I know the Navy will pay to move all of my stuff back to my home of record, but I don't believe I can break my current lease unless I have permanant change of station orders in hand... which (I don't think) I can break my lease just because I'm voluntarily separating.

It wouldn't do anyone any good to be able to move all your household goods across the country on the militarys' dime, but not be able to get out of your current lease...

Does anyone have experience on this?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  opinion on military school for ADHD teen EducationSeeker 18 3,043 10-14-2022, 02:22 PM
Last Post: martamarti
  ACE credit for possible military enlistment? dfrecore 33 5,703 05-27-2020, 09:59 PM
Last Post: anewmanx
  Have a military education exit strategy. vetvso 26 5,592 05-07-2020, 10:11 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  20% off Coopersmith for Active Military Zachcleigh 0 1,797 12-04-2019, 12:37 PM
Last Post: Zachcleigh
  AMU Reducing Military-Affiliated Master's Tuition to $250/credit (and free books) TheMaskedMutant 1 1,895 11-22-2019, 12:16 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Military Residency Requirement natshar 3 1,945 07-08-2019, 11:13 AM
Last Post: natshar
  Military waiver for residency charge at tesu Zachcleigh 4 2,309 05-09-2019, 07:59 AM
Last Post: ECH90
  TESU database of military credits? dfrecore 8 3,433 02-14-2019, 01:00 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  DraftKings Partners With VetsinTech to Offer Free Coding Training to Ex-Military Memb decimon 0 2,114 06-14-2018, 09:08 PM
Last Post: decimon
  The most Military/Veteran friendly College Commencements! Life Long Learning 42 8,909 06-07-2018, 07:18 PM
Last Post: ShotoJuku