Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Minimum age for alt-credit attainment?
Hi,

Does anyone know if there's a minimum age for use of sites like SDC, Sophia, Straighterline, etc?  I have a friend with an extremely precocious child who is interested in taking some classes over the summer (college credit is nice but not crucial.)

I took a quick look at Sophia's TOS and could not see any mention of age requirements.  I know she would not be able to get admitted to many colleges until 18 or 20, but could she earn alt credits between now and then?
[-] The following 1 user Likes studyingfortests's post:
  • akr680
Just a couple of quick questions. Alternative credit can be anything from AP to ACE/NCCRS. How young is the child? Is she here in the US or international? If she's in her junior/senior year, that's when I highly recommend dual enrollment vs AP and ACE/NCCRS. Here's a post from yesterday: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid361190
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
My son is 15 and he is able to create an account on Sophia
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
If your student is international, Onlinedegree.com is the only one they won't be able to attend. Further to that, for OD.com they require the student to be 18 years old. All other major ACE/NCCRS providers we use, I recall require the student to be 13 years of age at minimum and there are no other restrictions regarding their geography.

I don't think there's a minimum age for all of these. I don't know that Study.com has a minimum age, I've never heard of that before.

Khan Academy is a good free option. ModernStates (and I think you can take a CLEP at any age).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
@OP, Yes and No, there are age requirements... All content or course providers (college credit bearing or not) have to follow Privacy Policy Acts, it's been the case since COPPA came into effect for children's privacy protection, that act is directed to anyone under 13.  As an example, since Sophia.org was mentioned, they do have an age requirement of 13, here's an old post in 2020.  https://www.facebook.com/sophia.org/post...5623775119

There is a workaround of course, have the guardian or parent sit with the student and sign up, thus getting parental consent or permission to do so!  Technically it's just for "legal" purposes, it's not fully enforced, most of the details are hidden in their Privacy Policy or Terms of Service/Use.  And an FYI, for Study.com, it's weird they have it at age "sweet 16"... If you're under that "age", just get your parents to pay for it anyways, thus bypassing the age requirement.

My stepdaughter has 17 units from Sophia completed, and halfway through another course. She was 13 when we set up her account. Can’t speak first hand for any of the other sources.
Old Salt w/ New Papers
Pierpont: AAS BOG BUSINESS FOCUS 8/5/22
Excelsior: BS NUCLEAR ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY 10/21/22
(03-16-2022, 11:46 AM)studyingfortests Wrote: Hi,

Does anyone know if there's a minimum age for use of sites like SDC, Sophia, Straighterline, etc?  I have a friend with an extremely precocious child who is interested in taking some classes over the summer (college credit is nice but not crucial.)

I took a quick look at Sophia's TOS and could not see any mention of age requirements.  I know she would not be able to get admitted to many colleges until 18 or 20, but could she earn alt credits between now and then?
My teens have had a study.com account for years. They are currently using Sophia for Dual Enrollment and will complete their last 30 credits using Liberty Online (unless plans change.)
How do you use Sophia for Dual Enrollment?
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(04-19-2022, 12:42 PM)Vle045 Wrote: How do you use Sophia for Dual Enrollment?

Just Homeschooling and using the gen ed to meet HS requirements.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  3 Additional Google Certificates Approved for ACE Credit MNomadic 8 947 02-02-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: lynnii2
  Sophia Credit Transfer StudyKing21 1 497 01-19-2024, 12:57 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free credit course website for non-American Pinko64 3 676 11-04-2023, 05:51 PM
  Does Clovis Community College accept Sophia credit? eliment 7 821 10-29-2023, 07:45 PM
  Study.com: Upcoming Changes to Credit-Granting Courses inf 28 3,784 09-19-2023, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  Send Saylor credit to credly vetvso 4 1,517 09-09-2023, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  TADA credit NapoleonInRags 16 1,874 05-05-2023, 11:11 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ACE Credit Recommended Professional Cook Certification lumina 5 1,022 01-26-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: bellbaby
  Online Self-Paced Certified Personal Trainer course ($19.99/month) worth 3 ACE credit MNomadic 1 932 01-07-2023, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Education and alternative credit platforms Londinium7 0 616 10-31-2022, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Londinium7