Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mistakes were made; or: How to deal with a bad GPA at TESU?
I got a reply from the 'Senior Academic Program Advisor', no exception will be made for me. I have to bring up my GPA first.

So I might as well do SOS-110, and will have to figure out what I want to do beyond that. I filled out the FAFSA last night to see if I would be eligible for anything.
In Progress: MBA - HAUniv, Anticipated 2024
Completed: BSBA OpMgmt - TESU June 2021

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
GR - HAUniv: 9 credits
That sucks. At this point, I would definitely suggest going for both degrees. Take the necessary LL classes at TESU to help boost your GPA and not have to also pay the residency waiver.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I made one last plea, we'll see what they say. @bjcheung77 gave me a plan of attack for both degrees that I may follow. Frustrating, but I have no one but myself to blame.

UG - AP Tests: 20 credits | APICS: 12 Credits | CLEP: 6 credits | Saylor Academy: 6 credits | Sophia.org: 27 credits | Study.com: 12 credits | Davar Academy: 3 credits | TESU: 15 credits | Other College: 99.5 credits
They referred me to make an appeal directly to the Dean... Fingers crossed.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Flelm's post:
  • ss20ts
It really makes no sense that they wouldn't allow you to retake a course you've already taken! Senseless.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
So after my (unhelpful) call with the advisor yesterday, the registration hold was taken off my account. I can register for classes (including the Capstone?!) but I haven't heard back from the dean yet... Does anyone have an idea of how long that might take?

In either case, I think I might do the LL business classes at TESU anyway, just to get my GPA up if I ever decide to do an MBA, and since I'm in-state, it will only a bit more expensive to do the balance of the classes through TESU (13 credits more) rather than pay the residency waiver. It will just take longer. I've definitely decided to only do the one degree (and ASNSM Math and CompSci), but I might pick up a CIS dual AoS with SDC.

Thanks for the input all.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Flelm's post:
  • allvia
Don't take anything more yet, If it's unlocked, you're authorized to take it!  Just sign up for it and see what happens, if you aren't provided a link to pay for the course, then you email registration@tesu.edu to get the link.  When you pay for the course, it's all done!

Update 1 - Reality Check:  You have a pretty good GPA from your previous studies going back (past 7-10 years).  If you are applying to a semi competitive MBA program from a local B&M college/university, external GPA will be looked at, unless you're going for a competency based degree provider, you should be fine either way.

Having said that, if you want to bump up your GPA, I would not recommend re-doing any course prior to your TESU studies, as your character/references/style has changed the more you have matured.  However, the only way to bump up your GPA at TESU to show your prospective MBA schools you're doing well and can succeed is to "redo" the failed courses.

Have a read through this thread if you have the time, this is exactly the same issue, if you need a better GPA you can take extra courses for residency purposes and bump up the GPA, but it won't be as fast or great an option than re-doing the failed course.  I recommended this person the same thing - Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...egree-plan

Update 2 - Residency Waiver - 13 more credits:  How will you slice this to get 13 credits?  I would recommend doing two terms at the very least, if you can wait for Sept 2021 graduation.  If you can extend that, even better!  I would take some easy LL for one term such as the following example:  BTW, Associates Capstone has no exams, pretty easy grading too! And if you need to, get an extension to the classes - 8 weeks extension.

Term 1: ENG-298 Jane Austen, SOS-110 Cornerstone, APS-295 Associates Capstone (7 credits)
Term 2: BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone, APS-401 Capstone (expand on/re-purpose APS-295)
First term is pretty easy as the courses for 7 credits are the simplest of the bunch offered at TESU
Second term is a bit harder, I would spend 30 APS/70 BUS on the course load as the BUS-421 is complex
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(12-04-2020, 02:03 PM)Flelm Wrote: So after my (unhelpful) call with the advisor yesterday, the registration hold was taken off my account. I can register for classes (including the Capstone?!) but I haven't heard back from the dean yet... Does anyone have an idea of how long that might take?

In either case, I think I might do the LL business classes at TESU anyway, just to get my GPA up if I ever decide to do an MBA, and since I'm in-state, it will only a bit more expensive to do the balance of the classes through TESU (13 credits more) rather than pay the residency waiver. It will just take longer. I've definitely decided to only do the one degree (and ASNSM Math and CompSci), but I might pick up a CIS dual AoS with SDC.

Thanks for the input all.

I'd just retake the capstone and be done with it.

If you want to bump up your GPA, I'd suggest doing some cheap RA credits like the ones through TEL - only $67/cr, self-paced.  That's just as useful as anything else, unless you're going to go to a competitive MBA program later.  If you're just going to a regular one, then they most likely will look at your last 30cr or last 60cr or just a combination of your GPA from all of the schools you've gone to.  So no need to spend the time and money at TESU if you don't need to.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I agree with dfrecore -  retake the capstone (commit, do well) and be done with it.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

So I followed up with the dean, because... well, paranoid. And I got official approval to just retake the capstone. So that's what I'm going to do. Capstone, 3 courses at SDC, and I'm done.

[-] The following 3 users Like Flelm's post:
  • alab21, allvia, MDW2447

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cheapest/Fastest way to get TESU transcript only for ACE credits without degree cpaisannoying123 12 637 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Credit Transfer Evaluation colonelcamp 7 152 1 hour ago
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 20 2,568 04-23-2024, 02:44 PM
  Applying for a Master's in Computer Science with undergraduate degree from TESU DONG 9 617 04-11-2024, 03:27 PM
Last Post: spohara
Exclamation Doing a TESU BS Information Technology Degree in One Term Is Now Possible! LevelUP 7 541 04-05-2024, 11:24 AM
  TESU TECEP® APS-1000-TE Medical Terminology emmaya 6 276 04-02-2024, 10:56 PM
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 21 1,329 04-01-2024, 03:11 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  BSN Grant opportunity at TESU indigoshuffle 2 253 03-31-2024, 01:38 AM
  TESU Second degree jakill2 7 405 03-30-2024, 12:48 PM
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 311 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az