Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern States almost out of vouchers?
I know there has been some speculation that the voucher request numbers correspond to the number of vouchers Modern States has given out (they are giving out to the first 10,000 students), and I just got a voucher number in the 9300s. Are we thinking this godsend is almost through?
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
I guess will see in the next few weeks. Modern states did say they intended to continue the vouchers for the foreseeable future though.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • mysonx3
I would guess that wherever the money came from in the first place, if they are happy with the plan, more could be coming. There are lots of rich people who want to help others, and like to give money to proven ventures. MS can come in and say "we had 10,000 people come through and take our courses and pass 10,000 CLEP exams, for 30,000+ free college credits." It's something I would be interested if I was a rich philanthropist. Education is HOT these days for gazillionaires to throw money at.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(08-26-2018, 08:10 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would guess that wherever the money came from in the first place, if they are happy with the plan, more could be coming. There are lots of rich people who want to help others, and like to give money to proven ventures. MS can come in and say "we had 10,000 people come through and take our courses and pass 10,000 CLEP exams, for 30,000+ free college credits." It's something I would be interested if I was a rich philanthropist. Education is HOT these days for gazillionaires to throw money at.

Bill and Melinda gates come to mind.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
(08-26-2018, 08:10 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I would guess that wherever the money came from in the first place, if they are happy with the plan, more could be coming.  There are lots of rich people who want to help others, and like to give money to proven ventures.  MS can come in and say "we had 10,000 people come through and take our courses and pass 10,000 CLEP exams, for 30,000+ free college credits."  It's something I would be interested if I was a rich philanthropist.  Education is HOT these days for gazillionaires to throw money at.

I'm not disagreeing with you, and I hope that's the way it works out. I'd be very surprised if 10,000 of the vouchers given lead to a passing score. I know you were just making a point, but that brings a question to my mind. I am curious as to what MS's pass/fail rate actually is. You the option to select "this is my second attempt" on the voucher request form. I would be concerned that if not enough people that got vouchers passed, they will discontinue the program.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tedium's post:
  • mysonx3
Ive spoke with the founder who funded the program multiple times this year and he intends to keep modern states going but i do not think the free vouchers will continue.
(08-27-2018, 09:21 PM)Jimmy999 Wrote: Ive spoke with the founder who funded the program multiple times this year and he intends to keep modern states going but i do not think the free vouchers will continue.

Why do you say this? Did the founder say something that brought you to this conclusion?

I sent an email asking if they were nearing the 10,000 cutoff and received the following reply on August 8. It is a somewhat vague answer but if they were ending soon it would have been an opportunity for her to say so. 

Quote:Modern States will be providing vouchers at no cost to our learners for the foreseeable future. 

Sadie Glenn
Operations Coordinator
Modern States Education Alliance
I asked him point blank in a conversation and he told me the site and learning courses will remain open, however they are unsure if they will receive funding to continue the program for free vouchers. I know they purchase the vouchers in discounted blocks so possibly they still have a large number remaining. I could never get an answer regarding how many have been issued or what was remaining.

I didn't waste any time and I hammered out 12 passed cleps since March. Get it while the getting is good
(08-27-2018, 02:37 PM)Tedium Wrote: I'm not disagreeing with you, and I hope that's the way it works out. I'd be very surprised if 10,000 of the vouchers given lead to a passing score. I know you were just making a point, but that brings a question to my mind. I am curious as to what MS's pass/fail rate actually is. You the option to select "this is my second attempt" on the voucher request form. I would be concerned that if not enough people that got vouchers passed, they will discontinue the program.

I thought about making a similar post. Modern States just sent out an email with some details. "In fact, more than 5,500 learners have taken CLEP (College Level Examination Program) exams paid for by Modern States. Of those, 4,208 have earned free college credit by passing the tests — that's a 77 percent pass rate!"

I believe that means out of 9300+ vouchers, only 5500 exams were taken. But vouchers last a while, and once a voucher is used, the test date can be months after. So they could have another 2000+ taken before those vouchers expire.

I would guess that pass rate includes second tries.

I'd say those are very good results. Some of CLEPs are fairly difficult.

(08-30-2018, 09:51 AM)Ideas Wrote: TediumI'm not disagreeing with you, and I hope that's the way it works out. I'd be very surprised if 10,000 of the vouchers given lead to a passing score. I know you were just making a point, but that brings a question to my mind. I am curious as to what MS's pass/fail rate actually is. You the option to select "this is my second attempt" on the voucher request form. I would be concerned that if not enough people that got vouchers passed, they will discontinue the program.

I thought about making a similar post. Modern States just sent out an email with some details. "In fact, more than 5,500 learners have taken CLEP (College Level Examination Program) exams paid for by Modern States. Of those, 4,208 have earned free college credit by passing the tests — that's a 77 percent pass rate!"

I believe that means out of 9300+ vouchers, only 5500 exams were taken. But vouchers last a while, and once a voucher is used, the test date can be months after. So they could have another 2000+ taken before those vouchers expire.

I would guess that pass rate includes second tries.

I'd say those are very good results. Some of CLEPs are fairly difficult.

Even if the pass rate includes 2nd tries, it still shows the first try as a fail.  So I can't imagine it would skew the numbers much.

Do the vouchers expire?  If so, then I'm guessing that they go back to MS to reuse - in which case the numbers on the vouchers will go well past 10,000.

But, I wouldn't wait too long, as they're bound to go away at some point.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Modern States announces additional funding, continued CLEP vouchers jsd 8 1,873 02-08-2021, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Brand new - looking for courses similar to Modern States kevie 14 2,864 02-18-2020, 09:06 PM
Last Post: Giantzebra
  Modern States Time natshar 9 3,025 09-18-2019, 02:32 PM
Last Post: tendrils
  modern states courses and Saylor tests or study.com? gingermama 6 1,943 07-17-2019, 05:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Modern States If You Fail CLEP nosey561 4 2,272 04-12-2019, 11:24 AM
Last Post: mysonx3
  Modern States voucher question magflo 7 1,460 09-29-2018, 07:52 PM
Last Post: magflo
  Modern States rlw74 4 2,285 03-21-2018, 11:05 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Modern States Question collegechick 8 1,996 01-30-2018, 02:22 PM
Last Post: collegechick
  Modern States issues getting voucher BingCherry 6 2,979 08-23-2017, 10:07 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  Modern States Announcement quigongene 21 6,756 08-12-2017, 11:28 AM