Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ModernStates Update + Passed my first CLEP!
Star 
According to what I read on this forum and on the Modern States website, they reimburse you for purchasing the CLEP (after you complete their course and after you actually take the exam). However, I just went through the MS Principles of Management course and submitted for the voucher. Moder States emailed me a voucher code in one day, which I used to purchase the CLEP on College Board's website. When I applied the voucher code, it showed a charge of $0, so I never had to pay anything except the $30 sitting fee that the college charges.

That's the first thing. Secondly, I just took the Management CLEP and passed with 70! This is my first modern CLEP. The previous three were taken with pencil and paper, and they were scored in the hundreds (420).

By the way, my printout says the score is "70" and the ACE scroe is "50". What does that mean? I did pass, right? And is there a corresponding grade score (I know the school doesn't record it, but my kids are asking me the grade. Is it just a very low "C" like it would be on any normal test?)

Thanks.
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
Exams/Courses Taken (99 Credits)
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
  • Study.com - Coming soon...
[-] The following 3 users Like SCYankee's post:
  • cookderosa, Jonathan Whatley, MSK9
It means that ACE requires a minimum score of 50 for a pass.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • SCYankee
Modern States not only gives you a voucher for the test, but also reimburses you for the testing center fee if you can provide a receipt from the test center. So you could get a check in the mail for your $30 sitting fee.

The ACE score is the minimum score required to pass the exam (for most schools - some have different requirements). A 70 is an excellent score, depending on the test it's probably the equivalent of an A-/B+ or so (CLEPs are scored from 20-80, not 0-100 like most tests). Congrats on the score and the credits!
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 3 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • alexf.1990, SCYankee, suzycupcake
Oh! He he. Now I understand.  Blush

Well I'll give the $30 away for a good lesson. I'm happy and in a really nice situation here; the college is only a mile down the road, with no street lights between us.

I will add that the ModernStates course did not prepare me well for the CLEP booklet practice exams, as there were many more theories by various people who were not mentioned on MS. But it helped with the actual CLEP, as did simple word decoding (in the case of guessing an answer).
Working towards:
  • BS Entrepreneurship @ Franklin U or BA Human Relations & Business @ Amberton U
  • CLEP (36) - English Comp, Natural Science, College Math, Principles of Mgmt, Intro Marketing, Intro Sociology, Analyzing & Interpreting Lit, Intro to Educational Psychology, Human Growth & Dev 
  • DSST (12) - Principles of Supervision, Intro to Business, Human Resources Mgmt, Organizational Behavior
  • Sophia Learning (51) - Developing Effective Teams, Student Success, Essentials of Managing Conflict, Conflict Resolution, Intro to Ethics, Visual Communication, Intro to Psychology, Public Speaking, Intro to Info Tech, Accounting, Statistics, Algebra, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Communication at Work, Principles of Finance, Business Law, US History 1&2
[-] The following 1 user Likes SCYankee's post:
  • hsfamfun
Just an FYI from back in the day, for the Marketing CLEP, a score of 65 is equivalent to a B. So I'm guessing you got a B+?
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(06-21-2019, 02:59 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Just an FYI from back in the day, for the Marketing CLEP, a score of 65 is equivalent to a B.  So I'm guessing you got a B+?

Yeah, I figured it's just a matter of dividing 70 (my score) by 80 (total), which equals 87.5%. So that feels good. Thanks.
Working towards:
(06-21-2019, 01:18 PM)SCYankee Wrote: According to what I read on this forum and on the Modern States website, they reimburse you for purchasing the CLEP (after you complete their course and after you actually take the exam). However, I just went through the MS Principles of Management course and submitted for the voucher. Moder States emailed me a voucher code in one day, which I used to purchase the CLEP on College Board's website. When I applied the voucher code, it showed a charge of $0, so I never had to pay anything except the $30 sitting fee that the college charges.
I think it's always been a free voucher system, it's the testing center fee that's reimbursed.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Congrats! My son passed his first CLEP yesterday as well (Biology, got a 53) and also went through Modern States for the voucher. Modern States alone was not nearly enough to pass the Biology CLEP, but the voucher was certainly appreciated.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mom23boys's post:
  • alab21
Good job. I'm sure that's encouraging for him.

My advice to anybody at this point (having only taken one modern States course and the subsequent CLEP) would be to use MS for all CLEPs (since it's completely free, no-brainer) but also purchase and use CLEP books online.
Working towards:
(06-22-2019, 11:38 AM)Mom23boys Wrote: Congrats! My son passed his first CLEP yesterday as well (Biology, got a 53) and also went through Modern States for the voucher. Modern States alone was not nearly enough to pass the Biology CLEP, but the voucher was certainly appreciated.

I don't think Modern States was intended to be a complete course to learn a subject from scratch.  I consider it a CLEP-prep course, and tell anyone I suggest it to, that they should only use it after already knowing the material (which they may know, or need to find another way to learn it).

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  InstantCert w/CLEP and DSST tomheany 0 144 03-13-2024, 02:52 PM
Last Post: tomheany
  CLEP and Modern States in the UK BritStudent 4 461 03-06-2024, 09:21 AM
Last Post: asianphd
  CLEP - BIOLOGY Recommendations? GoBroncos95 11 759 02-19-2024, 06:13 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  CLEP Spanish advice? Stanislav 8 488 01-31-2024, 08:52 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Is there a limit to CLEP? GoBroncos95 8 634 01-28-2024, 12:23 PM
  Cancelled clep scores?: Please HELP! lyssiethekitty 2 405 01-11-2024, 06:18 AM
Last Post: Ghostwill
  Military CLEP/DSST transcript issues defscarlett 4 446 01-10-2024, 07:43 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  What is Modern States? (AKA How to Take CLEP Tests for FREE) sgloer 1 1,977 12-10-2023, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Dango375
  ACE Recommendations for several CLEP Exams expiring today jch 2 935 12-01-2023, 05:30 AM
Last Post: jch
  Is the CLEP College Composition Modular easier than Sophia's English Composition I? whiverem 4 551 11-08-2023, 11:24 AM