Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
More Then One Way To A Fast Degree
Thank you to everyone on this site that came before me! I started my journey April 2, 2011 with 3 college credits and today July 31, 2012 I just completed my application for graduation to receive my Bachelor of Science, Business Management from Western Governors University.

I started at Oklahoma City Community College in I believe 2001 where I received 3 credits from a American Government class.

Fast forward 10 years.

After finding this site I signed up with Aleks (4-2-2011) and completed.

College Algebra
Intermediate Algebra
Introduction to Statistics
PreCalculus
Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences

Then I signed up with Straighterline (5-15-2011) and completed.

English Comp I
English Comp II
Intro to Biology for Nonmajors

So once I completed all of this I decided after a TON of research to attend WGU.

A few reasons why I chose WGU over clep test and the BIG 3.

Because I really didn't have the money to pay for each clep.

I knew I would be able to get most of my school paid for with grant money because of my income.

Because WGU has regional accreditation.

WGU is a competency-based school. (I could still speed my degree up as if I was taking clep test)

I started at WGU on 9-1-2011 because the financial aid department was a little slow getting everything approved.

In my first term I ended up completing 42 Competency Units
$2,890 flat rate for 6 months = $68.80 per CU

In my second term (took me 5 months to finish up) I ended up completing 70 Competency Units
$2,890 flat rate for 6 months = $41.29 per CU

I'm not at all trying to brag but simply giving back and letting people just starting the journey know that there is more then one way to a fast degree.

Any questions about what I did or about WGU ask and I'll try and help.
Congrats on your hard work!!! Great job!!! It's also nice to see someone post here regarding alternative options to schools. I've looked at costs and overall, I think it does depend on your individual situation and what works best, but that's why it's good to have a post mentioning options other than the Big 3. WGU is regionally accredited as are each of the Big 3, and none are famous big names, but each can be an important stepping stone to a stronger career or graduate school if desired.

Good luck!!!!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Thank you very much.

burbuja0512 Wrote:Congrats on your hard work!!! Great job!!! It's also nice to see someone post here regarding alternative options to schools. I've looked at costs and overall, I think it does depend on your individual situation and what works best, but that's why it's good to have a post mentioning options other than the Big 3. WGU is regionally accredited as are each of the Big 3, and none are famous big names, but each can be an important stepping stone to a stronger career or graduate school if desired.

Good luck!!!!
Awesome post, very well done!!!
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Thank you very much. I can't wait to hang that degree on the wall.

rebel100 Wrote:Awesome post, very well done!!!
That degree plan sounds incredibly interesting. I was unaware of this path, and it sounds great. Congratulations for completing such an achievement, and thanks for sharing the details with us!
Thank you very much. I hope it helps someone.

silvis Wrote:That degree plan sounds incredibly interesting. I was unaware of this path, and it sounds great. Congratulations for completing such an achievement, and thanks for sharing the details with us!
Cool! Thanks for sharing this option with us! Congratulations on earning your degree!!!
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!
A detailed thread on WGU....a nuts and bolts view....would be a great addition to the site IMO.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
No problem at all. Thank you very much.

NAP Wrote:Cool! Thanks for sharing this option with us! Congratulations on earning your degree!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help - Math Degree for Grad School Frederico.Sandoval 9 584 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New UK Bachelors Degree Online coming soon! Leedeedee 1 261 04-03-2024, 11:54 AM
  Cheapest degree in graphic design? blablablox 10 600 03-30-2024, 12:44 PM
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 27 5,688 03-16-2024, 06:22 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 566 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 497 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 283 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 848 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  NA to RA Degree Plan Assistance McManus 8 2,231 01-29-2024, 04:59 PM
  After getting the degree Harrynguyen 24 2,828 01-13-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: ArielB74