Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morse Code
When, I am not busy applying for jobs; I have been listening to Morse Code. I have started learning Morse Code and one day, I hope to become proficient in the use of Morse Code, which has often saved people lives. Here's one message that was sent in Morse Code, a long time ago. I was thinking about the Titantic since the Concordia ran aground on a reef--CQD CQD SOS SOS DE MGY MGY.
Respect Yourself and Respect others.

Passed
DSST Technical Writing
DSST Principle of Statistics
DSST Astronomy
DSST MIS
Very interesting.... Is it just for fun or for some other purpose?
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
You should read The Victorian Internet for more about the history behind the telegraph. It's pretty amazing. Turns out Morse code was only one of many competing methods one one of many competing technologies. There were visual telegraphs (you had to watch the next tower through a telescope to see moving flags) and telegraphs with a separate cable for each letter, and telegraphs that boiled liquids with the current, or turned dials, etc.

Plus there were entire "online" communities and an "online" subculture with its own norms and values and lingo, complete with "online" relationships and marriages.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
@burbuja0512, I am learning Morse Code so that I can talk to amateur radio operators using the radio that a relative of mine built for me to motivate me to learn Morse Code. Without learning Morse Code, I cannot use that radio.
@dcan, I do know quite a bit about those other methods of telegraphing a message due to my interests. I will have to keep that book in mind.

Passed
DSST Technical Writing
DSST Astronomy
DSST MIS
I remember the good old days when I was a grunt, I was in a Recon and Sniper team with the 82nd Abn Div, I used to carry a HF Radio in my rucksack and always carried a morse code adapter and other encryption devices. I wasn't too good at it, but we still had to learn it. Our commo sergeant would teach us once a week to stay proficient. We used to send messages to teams in Germany and Africa with that radio. But don't ask me about it now, it is a diminishing skill and if you don't practice it, you lose it.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
nleamons Wrote:@burbuja0512, I am learning Morse Code so that I can talk to amateur radio operators using the radio that a relative of mine built for me to motivate me to learn Morse Code. Without learning Morse Code, I cannot use that radio.
@dcan, I do know quite a bit about those other methods of telegraphing a message due to my interests. I will have to keep that book in mind.

nleamons

Morse code is not required to transmit on Ham radio frequencies although if you have a home made CW transceiver then it would be good to get used to it. I have a general class licence in the United States and a full class licence in The Republic of Ireland under the call EI 2 HCB. Morse traffic is no longer used in shipping with the Russian navy being the last Navy in the world to cancel its use for transmissions. A technican class licence in the United States can be obtained fairly easy with about four weeks study which will allow you to use your radio on certain bands. You don't have to know morse to get the license but it does help if you can send at at least five words per minute. Once you get the time check out the ARRL website for local clubs/societies and you'll get all the help you need.
73 de EI2HCB/KB3LKM
Des
Although, you would not have known that I am a licensed General class Amateur Radio operator, I know the requirements; but if you had paid more attention to my second post; you would have realized that I am talking about a CW transceiver. Back in the day, when I first attempted to get my General class license Morse Code was required, but I got busy with more important things in life because I started learning Morse Code, I would like finish learning Morse Code. Several times, I have visited the local club.

Passed
DSST Technical Writing
DSST Astronomy
DSST MIS
nleamons Wrote:Although, you would not have known that I am a licensed General class Amateur Radio operator, I know the requirements; but if you had paid more attention to my second post; you would have realized that I am talking about a CW transceiver. Back in the day, when I first attempted to get my General class license Morse Code was required, but I got busy with more important things in life because I started learning Morse Code, I would like finish learning Morse Code. Several times, I have visited the local club.

Indeed that's possible! I'm glad you're relative built you a CW transceiver its nice to have an Elmer that will help out like that. If you have a chance check out EI7DAR website as I think we still have the morse sections available there was begining and advanced sending on the site. What's your call? Maybe we'll get a chance to QSO someday. *Dundalk Amateur Radio Society EI7DAR*
conditions have been good lately and I haven't had time to turn on the radioSad
Des
If was not for my relative, I probably would not have become an amateur radio operator. I will look at the website. I have sent a PM with my call sign. I will check out that link. It is always possible for us to QSO someday, but that could be a good while. Well, I have not QSO'ed lately as I have been adjusting my antenna.
nleamons

Passed
DSST Technical Writing
DSST Astronomy
DSST MIS

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  any way to change the search code ? bluebooger 3 1,141 01-13-2020, 05:14 PM
Last Post: mysonx3
  Amazon book sale coupon code - HOLIDAY30, 30% off any printed book OfficerA 1 1,205 11-27-2014, 01:40 PM
Last Post: lavagirl