Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Most Friendly / Affordable Option for Non-US / International Students
Hello, I'm from outside of US, seeking to obtain a Bachelor's (in Business / BA) from one of the Big Three. 

I've been mainly looking at TESU and Excelsior but can't quite figure out which would be the "easiest" and most affordable option for international students and was hoping to get some advice from this site! 

To provide a bit of background - I've a Diploma in Mass Communications from my country (which I understand translates to something like an Associate Degree in US) and did a short stint at University of London (completed Intro to Econs, Maths 1, and Maths 2), hoping to transfer those credits over of course.

Also have some professional certifications on capital market instruments, regulations, insurance etc. - not sure if those can be translated into any credits. 

Would be great if I can get some advice on which channel to go through (fastest, easiest, most affordable) so I can get things started by getting a transcript evaluation from WES / ECE / wherever.

Thank you!!
If a nationally-accredited degree works for you then University Of People or Pennfoster College are some good options.
FYI EC only uses ECE as a company. Do not waste money by using someone else... like I did. Start there and see who gives you the most credits.
1) The only transcript evaluation company that all 3 schools will take is ECE - so you should go ahead and do that, and then send it to all 3 schools.

2) You can also check your certifications against the ACE and NCCRS databases to see if they're there. If not, then send them as well, and see if any of the schools will give you credit.

3) If you want a BSBA, all 3 schools have them and are all similar, with some minor exceptions
MATH: TESU requires College Algebra & Stats, COSC requires Business Stats (not just stats); and EC requires Precalc and Business Stats
SCIENCE: COSC requires a lab science and an additional non-lab science, the other 2 just require a non-lab science (and TESU will even take some CompSci courses here)
ENGLISH: COSC and EC will only take exams or courses where you have to write essays (so no College Comp Modular CLEP + Advanced Comp DSST)
UPPER LEVEL CREDITS: EC & COSC require 30cr UL, TESU only requires 15cr UL

If it were me, I'd be deciding between 2 things:
1) Price - starting from scratch, COSC is going to be cheapest, by about $2k over TESU, and we know more about what they'll take than EC, so COSC wins
2) Accreditation: TESU has programmatic accreditation through ACBSP, the others don't, so TESU wins that
So if ACBSP matters, go with TESU; if it doesn't (it may not), then go with COSC. Of course, this assumes that the playing field is level, and that all schools will give you roughly the same credit coming in. YMMV.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(10-15-2019, 12:26 PM)dfrecore Wrote: ENGLISH: COSC and EC will only take exams or courses where you have to write essays (so no College Comp Modular CLEP + Advanced Comp DSST)

The COSC Master Exam List seems to still indicate that they will accept the DSST Principles of Advanced English Comp for the second half of the Written Communications requirement/"e" General Education requirement. Has this changed?
(10-15-2019, 12:55 PM)shadowgem Wrote:
(10-15-2019, 12:26 PM)dfrecore Wrote: ENGLISH: COSC and EC will only take exams or courses where you have to write essays (so no College Comp Modular CLEP + Advanced Comp DSST)

The COSC Master Exam List seems to still indicate that they will accept the DSST Principles of Advanced English Comp for the second half of the Written Communications requirement/"e" General Education requirement. Has this changed?

Maybe I'm wrong - but I know they won't take the CLEP for Comp I, so I think I assumed they wouldn't take anything for Comp II.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
If English is not your motherlanquage the best choice is COSC, because you dont need a English proficiency test when you apply.
For Excelsior you need a toefl score 69 and for TESU 79.
COMPLETED

ASU: Human Origins (3)
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams (1) Student Success (1)  The Ess. of Managing Conflict (1) Art History 1 (3) US History 1(3) Religions (3) Environmental science (3) Ancient Greek Philosophers (3) English Comp 1 (3) 
Visual communications (3) Art History 2 (3) Introduction to psychology (3) Introduction to Ethics (3) US History 2 (3) Human Biology (3) 
Communication at Work (3) Conflict resolution(3)

The institute: Ethics 312 (3)
Shmoop: Holocaust Literature (3) American National Government (3) Introduction to Drama (3)

IN PROGRESS
Sophia:    

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb ASU to Launch a Free Global Initiative and enroll 100 million students MNomadic 203 28,660 03-11-2024, 10:55 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Free or affordable Christian Chaplaincy Online Sowak777 4 366 02-21-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: The need 2 learn
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 435 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  MBA students receive free Apple Vision Pro Imbanewbie 0 246 02-07-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Affordable Educational Institution Consultant 16 1,186 01-29-2024, 11:50 AM
  International University of Applied Sciences (IU) acquires University of Fredericton. bjcheung77 0 535 07-01-2023, 01:39 AM
  International Transcript Evaluation bradonomics 14 1,216 06-27-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Grand Canyon Uni: 86K online students, over 960 Million in revenue. bjcheung77 1 460 05-17-2023, 10:00 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Two 16 year old students are recognized... bjcheung77 0 352 05-14-2023, 04:10 PM
  More than a third of community college students have vanished in the United States JPN 18 2,084 04-12-2023, 01:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore