Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving credits around?
(05-06-2019, 07:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You are asking multiple questions here, not all related.

1) TESU will list everything you transfer in, like I said, nothing shows what is used for the degree or not. It is just a list.  BUT it doesn't matter, because

2) TESU only gives you a GPA for the courses you take through TESU.  You get a school GPA that's for THAT school.  Each school will give you a GPA for THAT school.  I took courses at 5 schools, so I have 5 GPA's.  If I were to apply to grad school, they would want all 5 of my transcripts, and they would calculate an internal GPA there using the grades I got from all 5 schools.  BTW, my TESU GPA is based on a single course.

3) No idea on what the grad school will look at, there is no one-size-fits-all.  Every school is different, programs within each school are different, everyone has different requirements.  No one here can tell you what a particular school will require.

Ah, so all courses I would transfer in—even if not used for the degree—would appear in the list on the transcript? That would be to my advantage, since I would have both all the B&M courses, and the extra education courses I add during the time I'm doing the Capstone, no?

If graduate schools would only look at the TESU transcript, that would make things difficult, but since they look at all your transcripts—TESU, B&M, BYU-IS, Harvard Extension, for example—I think this gives me a much better chance of being accepted. The only thing that was worrying me was having too many B&M courses completely unrelated to education or even English (as almost all my GEE and FE). By having a whole bunch of education courses, I'm hoping this could balance things out. However, doing them during the time I'm also doing the Capstone would work out better (month with little to do but study).
(05-06-2019, 08:32 PM)pws Wrote:
(05-06-2019, 07:53 PM)dfrecore Wrote: You are asking multiple questions here, not all related.

1) TESU will list everything you transfer in, like I said, nothing shows what is used for the degree or not. It is just a list.  BUT it doesn't matter, because

2) TESU only gives you a GPA for the courses you take through TESU.  You get a school GPA that's for THAT school.  Each school will give you a GPA for THAT school.  I took courses at 5 schools, so I have 5 GPA's.  If I were to apply to grad school, they would want all 5 of my transcripts, and they would calculate an internal GPA there using the grades I got from all 5 schools.  BTW, my TESU GPA is based on a single course.

3) No idea on what the grad school will look at, there is no one-size-fits-all.  Every school is different, programs within each school are different, everyone has different requirements.  No one here can tell you what a particular school will require.

Ah, so all courses I would transfer in—even if not used for the degree—would appear in the list on the transcript? That would be to my advantage, since I would have both all the B&M courses, and the extra education courses I add during the time I'm doing the Capstone, no?

If graduate schools would only look at the TESU transcript, that would make things difficult, but since they look at all your transcripts—TESU, B&M, BYU-IS, Harvard Extension, for example—I think this gives me a much better chance of being accepted. The only thing that was worrying me was having too many B&M courses completely unrelated to education or even English (as almost all my GEE and FE). By having a whole bunch of education courses, I'm hoping this could balance things out. However, doing them during the time I'm also doing the Capstone would work out better (month with little to do but study).

Your grad school will most likely look at ALL transcripts.

It is very common for people to go to multiple schools and change majors multiple times, so I wouldn't worry about that part of things.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • pws
Just want to confirm, so that I don't take the courses for nothing: if I switch some of my B&M courses for credits from newly completed Study.com courses—just before the audit—will those courses appear on my transcript, which graduate schools will then be able to see?
(05-08-2019, 12:27 PM)pws Wrote: Just want to confirm, so that I don't take the courses for nothing: if I switch some of my B&M courses for credits from newly completed Study.com courses—just before the audit—will those courses appear on my transcript, which graduate schools will then be able to see?

Don't switch anything! Just take the extra courses and get them sent in to TESU, they'll appear on your transcript. There is one trick you should use. Add another degree (could be another bachelor's or an associate's) to your student account. You won't be earning it, just pretending. That will leave you enrolled past graduation since TESU will think you're still working on a degree. That way you won't suddenly hit a day where they won't accept any more transfer credit.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • badooble

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debate/speech competition transfer credits? Fave advisors? PLEX 4 163 03-20-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: PLEX
  Is an academic certificate a degree for the purposes of "new" credits? Am I screwed? ItsNeverTheLionsYear 3 238 03-13-2024, 08:53 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Organizational Leadership Cert SDC transfer credits Kones 5 470 02-10-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  What constitutes "new" credits for 2nd degree? homeschoolmom1 8 496 01-15-2024, 10:50 PM
  Emailing TESU about planning external credits into academic evaluation aperantosbias 9 611 12-29-2023, 10:37 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Less Than 15 Credits Left for TESU Flat Rate Term mariobros1985 7 791 11-22-2023, 09:38 PM
  TESU AS in electronics. Transfer credits options? shows55 2 433 11-12-2023, 11:40 AM
  Competency based certifications for Electronics and Nuclear credits? sciencemathematics1 5 492 09-23-2023, 12:31 PM
  RA Credits from a Community College? mulhearnmusic 2 322 09-16-2023, 04:54 PM
Last Post: mulhearnmusic
  Is there a grade requirement to transfer credits? kowenboy 2 346 09-12-2023, 11:43 AM
Last Post: dfrecore