Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moving to Dallas!
Are you going to have to change your username now? Tongue
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(04-09-2019, 11:53 AM)topdog98 Wrote: Congratulations! I hope everything works out great for you.

Thank you. Are you finishing soon? Some cities are hiring in a second wave in August.

(04-09-2019, 05:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Are you going to have to change your username now? Tongue

I haven't lived in San Antonio for several years. I lived in that godforsaken place for almost 30 years, so my username describes where I grew up and reminds me that I escaped.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • Ideas
(04-09-2019, 05:41 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Are you going to have to change your username now? Tongue

Am I a moron for not realizing until now what the username is referencing? (Don't answer that.)
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • jsd
(04-09-2019, 06:03 PM)sanantone Wrote: Thank you. Are you finishing soon? Some cities are hiring in a second wave in August.

Thanks for this information. Believe it or not, graduation was four years ago. I am in a good position and not currently looking for a change, but I am glad to know about different options, just in case.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
(04-10-2019, 11:11 AM)topdog98 Wrote:
(04-09-2019, 06:03 PM)sanantone Wrote: Thank you. Are you finishing soon? Some cities are hiring in a second wave in August.

Thanks for this information. Believe it or not, graduation was four years ago. I am in a good position and not currently looking for a change, but I am glad to know about different options, just in case.
I must have misremembered. I know someone other than Upton Sinclair was working on an accounting degree and looking for a career change.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(04-10-2019, 12:10 PM)sanantone Wrote: I must have misremembered. I know someone other than Upton Sinclair was working on an accounting degree and looking for a career change.

I think you are right that someone was working on a career change to move into accounting. I think maybe it was Tedium.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
This is definitely a new experience. I've practically always lived in a big city, but this is the first time I've done urban living. I couldn't afford to live downtown before. I'm not really sure how I'm liking the apartment design. All of the doors are inside, so it's like being in a hotel.

I went from living in a wannabe luxury apartment complex to living in a real luxury apartment complex. There are real wood floors, stainless steel appliances, and they just wired the apartments to be smart homes. I can watch video of my apartment from a phone app. Some cons, though, are that I have to rent a washer and dryer (a place this expensive should come with a set), and there's no dog park. I'll have to walk to a public or private dog park.

There are a hundred different restaurants to choose from for delivery. The skyline in Downtown Dallas is amazing! There's a lot more green here than in the drier South Central Texas.

It wasn't my plan to live in a luxury apartment. I just wanted to be close to work, and my options were limited to apartments owned by the same company as my previous one. It saved me from having to break my lease; I just had to pay a transfer fee.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • dfrecore, jsd, quigongene
So, Dallas is currently having some issues with people shooting each other. I believe there were 41 murders in May, alone, and there's been this strange pattern of transgender women being killed. Hopefully, it's not a serial killer. I'm not concerned with the violence because it's believed that most of the people killed knew their killers. The Dallas Police Department lost a lot of officers over the years due to its low pay. They recently increased the pay to be higher than that of other large cities in Texas, but it's going to take a while for them to hire and train the 600 officers they need. They need assistance with investigating the murders, but I don't think there's much they can do to prevent the murders. It's Texas; everyone has a gun. People just need to choose better ways to resolve their problems.

It turns out that I'm the second youngest person my office hired. The youngest person (one year younger than me) left for another department, though, so I'm now the youngest in my cohort. I'm not just a little bit younger; I'm 7 to 20 years younger than everyone else. I was surprised because I'm in my early 30s and was older than most of my coworkers in my last counseling job. The recent college graduates that they plan to hire at other locations will likely be in their 20s, but I think new revenue officers tend to be 30+. There are a lot of veterans and employees transferring from other departments.

It sounds like the IRS will continue to hire next year, so those who haven't finished their degrees yet might still have a chance. The last time they hired new revenue officers was in 2016.

Our job title is supposed to be changing to civil enforcement officer, and they might start giving us badges. We currently have pocket commissions that we display. There's a bipartisan bill in the House and Senate that would extend law enforcement retirement to revenue officers, revenue agents, and other non-1811 police officers in the federal government. But, I'm not holding my breath. Similar bills have been introduced every year for the past few years.

I found out that locality pay is not based on cost of living. It's based on private sector salaries in a given field. Austin is a tech city with high tech pay. Dallas and Houston have more highly-paid financial services workers, so that's probably why revenue officers and agents get paid more in those cities.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
[-] The following 3 users Like sanantone's post:
  • jsd, Life Long Learning, MrBossmanJr
Congrats Smile on moving to Dallas!
(06-08-2019, 08:49 PM)sanantone Wrote: So, Dallas is currently having some issues with people shooting each other. I believe there were 41 murders in May, alone, and there's been this strange pattern of transgender women being killed. Hopefully, it's not a serial killer. I'm not concerned with the violence because it's believed that most of the people killed knew their killers. The Dallas Police Department lost a lot of officers over the years due to its low pay. They recently increased the pay to be higher than that of other large cities in Texas, but it's going to take a while for them to hire and train the 600 officers they need. They need assistance with investigating the murders, but I don't think there's much they can do to prevent the murders. It's Texas; everyone has a gun. People just need to choose better ways to resolve their problems.

It turns out that I'm the second youngest person my office hired. The youngest person (one year younger than me) left for another department, though, so I'm now the youngest in my cohort. I'm not just a little bit younger; I'm 7 to 20 years younger than everyone else. I was surprised because I'm in my early 30s and was older than most of my coworkers in my last counseling job. The recent college graduates that they plan to hire at other locations will likely be in their 20s, but I think new revenue officers tend to be 30+. There are a lot of veterans and employees transferring from other departments.

It sounds like the IRS will continue to hire next year, so those who haven't finished their degrees yet might still have a chance. The last time they hired new revenue officers was in 2016.

Our job title is supposed to be changing to civil enforcement officer, and they might start giving us badges. We currently have pocket commissions that we display. There's a bipartisan bill in the House and Senate that would extend law enforcement retirement to revenue officers, revenue agents, and other non-1811 police officers in the federal government. But, I'm not holding my breath. Similar bills have been introduced every year for the past few years.

I found out that locality pay is not based on cost of living. It's based on private sector salaries in a given field. Austin is a tech city with high tech pay. Dallas and Houston have more highly-paid financial services workers, so that's probably why revenue officers and agents get paid more in those cities.

What do you need to qualify for those types of jobs?
Georgia Institute of Technology: MS in Analytics (3/32 Credits)
Boston University: MS in Software Development
Thomas Edison State University: BA in Liberal Studies

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looming Food Shortages Is the Next ‘Slow-Moving Disaster’ to Hit World LevelUP 8 1,587 03-28-2022, 11:17 AM
Last Post: uncapentin
  Colleges moving online because of virus natshar 11 1,813 03-14-2020, 02:59 AM
Last Post: alab21
  Article: Moving From 5% to 85% Completion Rates for Online Courses PrettyFlyforaChiGuy 1 1,140 06-12-2019, 01:32 AM
Last Post: Merlin
  OT: We are moving! cookderosa 10 1,574 05-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  I am Really moving this time. Lindagerr 9 1,425 08-28-2011, 12:18 PM
Last Post: alleycat