Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ms in Taxation
At some point next year I will press the graduation button and begin graduate school. I've considered an MBA but it would only be for personal satisfaction to complete this and would serve zero benefit in life. What would benefit me more is a MS in Taxation for when/if I decide to start a business processing personal and corporate taxes. I believe based on marketing myself in the past, that having this type of degree would allow me to easily overcome an objection or concerns for qualification by clients.

I do do not want a degree in accounting nor do I want to be a CPA.

So far the cheapest I've found was Taft University at $440 a credit. The courses cover exactly what I currently work with in taxation and also things I have no experience with such as trusts and retirement accounts.

Does anyone know of any other MS in Taxation other than Taft for around 12-15k? I have not been able to find anything for that price. NA RA accreditation doesn't matter to me, however if there is an RA degree for 12k I would take that over the NA at Taft.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
videogamesrock Wrote:At some point next year I will press the graduation button and begin graduate school. I've considered an MBA but it would only be for personal satisfaction to complete this and would serve zero benefit in life. What would benefit me more is a MS in Taxation for when/if I decide to start a business processing personal and corporate taxes. I believe based on marketing myself in the past, that having this type of degree would allow me to easily overcome an objection or concerns for qualification by clients.

I do do not want a degree in accounting nor do I want to be a CPA.

So far the cheapest I've found was Taft University at $440 a credit. The courses cover exactly what I currently work with in taxation and also things I have no experience with such as trusts and retirement accounts.

Does anyone know of any other MS in Taxation other than Taft for around 12-15k? I have not been able to find anything for that price. NA RA accreditation doesn't matter to me, however if there is an RA degree for 12k I would take that over the NA at Taft.

In my opinion, an MST is overkill for what you are trying to do. It is geared toward CPAs and occasionally lawyers that specialize, and I mean SPECIALIZE in tax. It goes far beyond what is needed for a small CPA shop, much less a non-CPA tax business with relatively small clients.

You may want to look into becoming an enrolled agent (Becoming an Enrolled Agent FAQs | NAEA), which would allow you to practice before the IRS without a CPA or law license. Enrolled agent exam preparation courses covers the tax aspects of trusts and retirement plans. And they cost far less than 12-15k (NAEA Online Enrolled Agent (EA) Examination Preparation Course | NAEA).

I would also add that enrolled agents are more knowledgeable in tax than your typical CPA or lawyer. The EA exam is ALL tax and goes into far greater depth than the CPA or bar exams.
Thank you so much for the info. I was completely unaware there was this type of certification. I've book marked it and added it to my life goal list! I love this board.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
You might consider National Juris University for their MST in Taxation. They are DEAC accredited
https://juris.nationalparalegal.edu/

The MST along with the EA (enrolled agent) designation would be a great combination and I think it could satisfy
continuing education requirements to maintain the EA status.
Sacricolist Wrote:You might consider National Juris University for their MST in Taxation. They are DEAC accredited
https://juris.nationalparalegal.edu/

The MST along with the EA (enrolled agent) designation would be a great combination and I think it could satisfy
continuing education requirements to maintain the EA status.

Thank you, that's a gem.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
Also by becoming an Enrolled Agent you could become qualified to practice before the United States Tax Court. You would have to meet the court's requirements. But take a look at the website. (https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/) That court although based in Washington, D.C. actually travels around the United States at various times of the year. You could have cases before the court when it came near your location (you would have filed a case already with the court).

So as an EA you could practice before the IRS and the United States Tax Court. This is all administrative and federal law but a sweet career. And this work could be in addition to all your other tax work. I think the MST program I mentioned in my earlier post offers courses in Administrative Law and Federal Tax Practice. Good luck.
Sacricolist Wrote:Also by becoming an Enrolled Agent you could become qualified to practice before the United States Tax Court. You would have to meet the court's requirements. But take a look at the website. (https://www.ustaxcourt.gov/) That court although based in Washington, D.C. actually travels around the United States at various times of the year. You could have cases before the court when it came near your location (you would have filed a case already with the court).

So as an EA you could practice before the IRS and the United States Tax Court. This is all administrative and federal law but a sweet career. And this work could be in addition to all your other tax work. I think the MST program I mentioned in my earlier post offers courses in Administrative Law and Federal Tax Practice. Good luck.

Don't get your hopes up on being admitted to the Tax Court bar: The Tax Court Exam
Taking the US Tax Court examination is certainly a daunting task. But not an insurmountable one. There are test preparation courses like this one: USTCP | US Tax Court Practitioners. This particular review/test prep instructor and her students have done very well on the exam. The US Tax Court exam is offered biannually. The pass rate is less than 20% for this 4-hour exam. But it is doable. And I believe our colleague can do it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sacricolist's post:
  • FastTrackDegree

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  No Bachelor's Degree Required for Master of Taxation sanantone 1 1,140 10-03-2021, 10:16 PM
Last Post: BrianFallon