Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Experience at the Harvard Extension School Information Session
(07-07-2018, 03:04 PM)bluebooger Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 08:03 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Thank you for sharing!! That was lovely to read.

did you really need to quote that entire wall of text for a one sentence reply ?

@jane_eyre11
    why in the world would you not use paragraphs ? 

or line breaks ?

You'll see that when someone hits the "reply" button, that the post is automatically quoted. The quote feature is a staple of forum etiquette because it helps in threads to see who is talking to whom. As you can see from my post and Jane's post, we were speaking to each other. It's kinda like when that person walks up to you at a party and interrupts you and someone having a conversation. the reply button helps avoid that awkwardness that comes from having bad manners.
(07-07-2018, 05:53 PM)allvia Wrote:
(07-06-2018, 08:03 AM)cookderosa Wrote: Thank you for sharing!! That was lovely to read.

did you really need to quote that entire wall of text for a one sentence reply ?

@jane_eyre11

or line breaks ?

I'm guessing jane_eyre11 did have it set up that way while typing when the 'post' button was hit it removed all the formatting. I know it happens to me all the time (I've learned to Preview before Posting to fix the formatting).  Personally, I feel the real problem here was skipping a thankful acknowledgement that someone (a real person) took the time to post about this previously unshared experience with the forum, and instead was instead greeted with what read as a disparaging response (by sanantone -  don't know if it was meant to read in that manner, just stating fact).    I hope jane_eyre11 does reply to the sincere inquiries made here, but I would also completely understand if further public comment was avoided.

I have poor eyesight, so I couldn't read the whole thing. I was just letting the OP know how to make the post more readable because I'm sure there are many others who might try to read this, but can't. You can't get any information out of anything if you can't read it. I don't expect most of you to understand the concept of having consideration for those with vision problems. I also expect you to continuously gang up on me simply because I'm liberal. I didn't get a thank you from you when I provided you with valuable information. Originally, I didn't even get a response. Most of you here are hypocrites.

You found my info helpful enough to forward it to your daughter, but you couldn't even say thank you. If you aren't going to practice what you preach, then it's best to stay quiet. All the people who liked your post look like fools.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I too found it hard to read, so I just didn't. But I didn't want to say TL;DR because it was a new poster.

Regarding replying, I try to condense the original so that it's not too long, like using ellipsis (...) so that I can use the beginning and end or whatever. Or so that if I'm only replying to a specific part of the original post, I just delete everything else that's not pertinent. I feel that I should be trying to make it easier for people to follow what's going on, while also not making the thread longer than it needs to be.

As for not caring about vision problems, I don't think people really think about that. I certainly don't. It's not that I'm uncaring, it's just not top of mind when I think about what I'm going to post. I'm certain the OP didn't try to make life difficult for you sanantone, she just didn't realize it would be hard for some people to read. Especially if she's new, and doesn't know a lot about forum etiquette.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • Sapientes, warriortaupou
(07-07-2018, 11:20 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I too found it hard to read, so I just didn't.  But I didn't want to say TL;DR because it was a new poster.

Regarding replying, I try to condense the original so that it's not too long, like using ellipsis (...) so that I can use the beginning and end or whatever.  Or so that if I'm only replying to a specific part of the original post, I just delete everything else that's not pertinent.  I feel that I should be trying to make it easier for people to follow what's going on, while also not making the thread longer than it needs to be.

As for not caring about vision problems, I don't think people really think about that.  I certainly don't.  It's not that I'm uncaring, it's just not top of mind when I think about what I'm going to post.  I'm certain the OP didn't try to make life difficult for you sanantone, she just didn't realize it would be hard for some people to read.  Especially if she's new, and doesn't know a lot about forum etiquette.

Which is why I gave her the advice to break her post into paragraphs. It's really the others here who are inconsiderate. How is she going to learn forum etiquette if no one says anything?
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
(07-07-2018, 11:23 PM)sanantone Wrote:
(07-07-2018, 11:20 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I too found it hard to read, so I just didn't.  But I didn't want to say TL;DR because it was a new poster.

Regarding replying, I try to condense the original so that it's not too long, like using ellipsis (...) so that I can use the beginning and end or whatever.  Or so that if I'm only replying to a specific part of the original post, I just delete everything else that's not pertinent.  I feel that I should be trying to make it easier for people to follow what's going on, while also not making the thread longer than it needs to be.

As for not caring about vision problems, I don't think people really think about that.  I certainly don't.  It's not that I'm uncaring, it's just not top of mind when I think about what I'm going to post.  I'm certain the OP didn't try to make life difficult for you sanantone, she just didn't realize it would be hard for some people to read.  Especially if she's new, and doesn't know a lot about forum etiquette.

Which is why I gave her the advice to break her post into paragraphs. It's really the others here who are inconsiderate. How is she going to learn forum etiquette if no one says anything?

You are absolutely right.  Instead, I just didn't read the post, which isn't helpful either.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(07-07-2018, 10:49 PM)sanantone Wrote:

@jane_eyre11

or line breaks ?

I'm guessing jane_eyre11 did have it set up that way while typing when the 'post' button was hit it removed all the formatting. I know it happens to me all the time (I've learned to Preview before Posting to fix the formatting).  Personally, I feel the real problem here was skipping a thankful acknowledgement that someone (a real person) took the time to post about this previously unshared experience with the forum, and instead was instead greeted with what read as a disparaging response (by sanantone -  don't know if it was meant to read in that manner, just stating fact).    I hope jane_eyre11 does reply to the sincere inquiries made here, but I would also completely understand if further public comment was avoided.

I have poor eyesight, so I couldn't read the whole thing. I was just letting the OP know how to make the post more readable because I'm sure there are many others who might try to read this, but can't. You can't get any information out of anything if you can't read it. I don't expect most of you to understand the concept of having consideration for those with vision problems. I also expect you to continuously gang up on me simply because I'm liberal. I didn't get a thank you from you when I provided you with valuable information. Originally, I didn't even get a response. Most of you here are hypocrites.

You found my info helpful enough to forward it to your daughter, but you couldn't even say thank you. If you aren't going to practice what you preach, then it's best to stay quiet. All the people who liked your post look like fools.

I have been on this forum for less than six months and the vast majority of these users have been extremely helpful, encouraging, and POSITIVE with our educational journeys.

Lately Sanantone, you have been extremely negative and just accusatory to people on here (using the race card in another thread and now using the liberal card). The poster was just sharing their experience and maybe didn’t even know how to format their post so it was easy to read. If your posting on a mobile vs computer it can come out distorted.

But really, we are fools because we liked her post? She actually said a lot in her post (only one line was about you anyway).
[-] The following 1 user Likes acamp's post:
  • Sapientes
(07-07-2018, 05:53 PM)allvia Wrote: I'm guessing jane_eyre11 did have it set up that way while typing when the 'post' button was hit it removed all the formatting. I know it happens to me all the time (I've learned to Preview before Posting to fix the formatting).  Personally, I feel the real problem here was skipping a thankful acknowledgement that someone (a real person) took the time to post about this previously unshared experience with the forum, and instead was instead greeted with what read as a disparaging response (by sanantone -  don't know if it was meant to read in that manner, just stating fact).    I hope jane_eyre11 does reply to the sincere inquiries made here, but I would also completely understand if further public comment was avoided.

I truly don’t care what your politics are, and I have never gained up on you – so I’m not sure what is motivating this accusatory statement.  You however have turned it around and attacked me in your response here, and I will address your statements promptly.  

You did provide me with information in response to a post I made regarding my daughter’s interest in a graduate program.  I did not thankfully acknowledge every response individually, nor did I devalue any contribution (whatever information shared that didn’t help me, could very well help another).  I did however acknowledge yours, as well as answer your questions to me – it appears I did not do so in what you consider a timely manner.  It was 4 days later that I responded to the initial replies made to my posting at all, and you were responded to directly within 2 hours of that first response (based on I had not yet reviewed the program that you had recommended).  My clarifying of this would normally be out of place in this thread, but it so happens that my first thankful response on that thread was for the first suggested program – which happened to be the one offered through the Harvard Extension School (HES). It seems possible your annoyance is driven by your opinion of the HES degrees.

It is unfortunate about your visual impairment issues, and I’m going to assume you bring this up as a clarifier and not as an excuse for the tone. As I pointed out in my post I did not know if you had intended your response to be disparaging, but it read that way. It is well known that you are educated, and I would hope that you possess both the aptitude and the empathy to recognized that your opening remark could have been softened by a small recognition of effort on the part of a member that is new to contributing to the forum.

As far as you suggesting that I am a hypocritical person, that is ludicrous – and I don’t see how calling out an unnamed majority of an online forum as such, along with claiming that random people who agree with me are foolish, is helpful or positive commentary.  I realize that you don’t know me (nor I you) personally, so I won’t take your mudslinging to heart and wish you well.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • Sapientes
(07-08-2018, 07:37 AM)acamp Wrote:

@jane_eyre11

or line breaks ?

I have been on this forum for less than six months and the vast majority of these users have been extremely helpful, encouraging, and POSITIVE with our educational journeys.  

Lately Sanantone, you have been extremely negative and just accusatory to people on here (using the race card in another thread and now using the liberal card).  The poster was just sharing their experience and maybe didn’t even know how to format their post so it was easy to read.  If your posting on a mobile vs computer it can come out distorted.  

But really, we are fools because we liked her post?   She actually said a lot in her post (only one line was about you anyway).

I'm only negative towards those who are negative toward me. I never accused anyone here of being rude to me because I'm black. I'm just honest about the fact that denying things like genocide and racism despite the facts proving the contrary is a tactic used by hate groups. If it doesn't apply, let it fly.

If you're referring to my exchange with Dfrecore, all I did was paraphrase what she said to me. 

(07-08-2018, 09:02 AM)allvia Wrote:
(07-07-2018, 05:53 PM)allvia Wrote: I'm guessing jane_eyre11 did have it set up that way while typing when the 'post' button was hit it removed all the formatting. I know it happens to me all the time (I've learned to Preview before Posting to fix the formatting).  Personally, I feel the real problem here was skipping a thankful acknowledgement that someone (a real person) took the time to post about this previously unshared experience with the forum, and instead was instead greeted with what read as a disparaging response (by sanantone -  don't know if it was meant to read in that manner, just stating fact).    I hope jane_eyre11 does reply to the sincere inquiries made here, but I would also completely understand if further public comment was avoided.

I truly don’t care what your politics are, and I have never gained up on you – so I’m not sure what is motivating this accusatory statement.  You however have turned it around and attacked me in your response here, and I will address your statements promptly.  

You did provide me with information in response to a post I made regarding my daughter’s interest in a graduate program.  I did not thankfully acknowledge every response individually, nor did I devalue any contribution (whatever information shared that didn’t help me, could very well help another).  I did however acknowledge yours, as well as answer your questions to me – it appears I did not do so in what you consider a timely manner.  It was 4 days later that I responded to the initial replies made to my posting at all, and you were responded to directly within 2 hours of that first response (based on I had not yet reviewed the program that you had recommended).  My clarifying of this would normally be out of place in this thread, but it so happens that my first thankful response on that thread was for the first suggested program – which happened to be the one offered through the Harvard Extension School (HES). It seems possible your annoyance is driven by your opinion of the HES degrees.

It is unfortunate about your visual impairment issues, and I’m going to assume you bring this up as a clarifier and not as an excuse for the tone. As I pointed out in my post I did not know if you had intended your response to be disparaging, but it read that way. It is well known that you are educated, and I would hope that you possess both the aptitude and the empathy to recognized that your opening remark could have been softened by a small recognition of effort on the part of a member that is new to contributing to the forum.

As far as you suggesting that I am a hypocritical person, that is ludicrous – and I don’t see how calling out an unnamed majority of an online forum as such, along with claiming that random people who agree with me are foolish, is helpful or positive commentary.  I realize that you don’t know me (nor I you) personally, so I won’t take your mudslinging to heart and wish you well.

Summary: You didn't say thank you, therefore, you have no place to berate someone for not saying thank you.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
and yet again a perfectly helpful thread devolves into biting criticisms. Seems to be a pattern lately, which is very unfortunate.
(07-08-2018, 09:29 PM)cookderosa Wrote: and yet again a perfectly helpful thread devolves into biting criticisms.  Seems to be a pattern lately, which is very unfortunate.

Agreed, Can we take the discussion on etiquette et al to another post?  

@OP: Thank you for your description of the session. I enjoyed the detail you provided.  I've often wondered what I was missing from these events by studying remote (but didn't want to purchase a plane ticket to find out).
Currently studying for: Still deciding.

Done!
2020 - Harvard Extension School - ALM IT Management 
2019 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Data Science
2018 - Harvard Extension School - Graduate Certificate Cyber Security
2016 - WGU - MBA Mgmt & Strategy
2015 - Thomas Edison State College - BSBA Marketing & CIS
[-] The following 2 users Like mednat's post:
  • cookderosa, Sapientes

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 883 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,843 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,343 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,280 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,244 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Article bashes Harvard Extension ALM Grad smartdegree 50 8,272 12-25-2023, 09:32 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,352 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,062 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Caribbean Immigration (Med School Discount! - Secrets - Shhh...) bjcheung77 19 4,502 09-29-2023, 10:14 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  WGU MS Information Technology Management quigongene 22 7,480 09-05-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: ss20ts