Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Grad School Thoughts - Masters/PHD
Well, that's wishful thinking for you (actually for me)! I'll see what program is of least resistance and "cheap/easy/fast" as well as better recognized for my future goal... Still thinking Capella is very attractive as well... I'll research those 5 more and do one of them when the time comes... maybe a new program will spring up sometime in the future for an applied doctorate that's more competency based than the current Capella version.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
There is really no purpose in having a doctoral program if it doesn't lead to an advanced license or advanced research. Doctoral students are supposed to make some sort of contribution to their field.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(09-02-2017, 04:35 PM)sanantone Wrote: Arizona State University's DBH has no dissertation requirement. 

The Behavioral Health Management is a program I looked at as a possibility. Then I priced it out ($77k+)....Yikes!!! Now my brother lives in Arizona and there's a creative option to work the tuition down to $37k+ - still more than what I would want to pay but definitely an interesting degree.
PhD, Leadership, University of the Cumberlands - What Have I Done!!?!!
MBA, Healthcare Management, Western Governors University - in progress
MS, Management and Leadership, Western Governors University - 2017
BS, Business Administration, Thomas Edison State University - 2016

RANSOMSOUL: Exchange Good For Great

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
(09-02-2017, 07:16 PM)RANSOMSOUL Wrote:
(09-02-2017, 04:35 PM)sanantone Wrote: Arizona State University's DBH has no dissertation requirement. 

The Behavioral Health Management is a program I looked at as a possibility. Then I priced it out ($77k+)....Yikes!!! Now my brother lives in Arizona and there's a creative option to work the tuition down to $37k+ - still more than what I would want to pay but definitely an interesting degree.

You're supposed to have a qualifying master's degree, and that will count for 30 of the credits in their program.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
The total program is 84 credit hours (54 after transfer credits)....I was actually being really kind on $k+ in the numbers stated.

The Ultimate Route to Earning a Bachelor's Degree in Business: A StraighterLine Success Story
Hmm, I thought the end date was 3 months, but it shows as 4, even more time to "learn the ropes"... I'll busy Dec 28, 2017, up to April 28, 2018. I'll still apply for an early start for my Masters though, as most of the Masters allow entry into the program every month, I'll just start it when I get my Cisco Cybersecurity Scholarship completed.

We have not heard from you regarding a change to your enrollment information. Our records confirm that you are enrolled in:

Cohort 5 which officially starts on December 28, 2017 and ends on April 28, 2018*.

Earlier this week an email was sent to some of our students in error. This email was intended for people who were not admitted into the Cybersecurity Scholarship program. If you received this email, please disregard. We appreciate your patience.

As we approach your start date we will contact you with directions on how to access materials and your mentors.

If you would like to update your information, please complete the form here, by September 13, 2017. These updates will be processed on 9/14 and email confirmations will be sent to students no later than 9/18.

In the meantime, if you have any questions or concerns please visit http://www.cisco.com/go/certsupport to request assistance.

Thank you,
Learning@Cisco

*You may have noticed that the end dates for the cohort has changed. This is a recent development as we strive to continuously improve the program.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(09-02-2017, 07:14 PM)sanantone Wrote: There is really no purpose in having a doctoral program if it doesn't lead to an advanced license or advanced research. Doctoral students are supposed to make some sort of contribution to their field.

Exactly this!!!!! Cheap and fast have there place in undergrad or even masters (most times) but when you get to PhD level this is not acceptable. As you stated, the goal of a PhD is to expand to the existing level knowledge in a particularly finite area of study. This takes time, sacrifice and at times bringing many students to the brink of breaking down because.........IT IS REALLY HARD. Casually shopping around for a no name online PhD or doctorate makes no sense and such degrees are treated with the respect they deserve which is none.
[-] The following 2 users Like cardiacclep's post:
  • Muldoon, PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
(09-11-2017, 11:08 PM)cardiacclep Wrote:
(09-02-2017, 07:14 PM)sanantone Wrote: There is really no purpose in having a doctoral program if it doesn't lead to an advanced license or advanced research. Doctoral students are supposed to make some sort of contribution to their field.

Exactly this!!!!! Cheap and fast have there place in undergrad or even masters (most times) but when you get to PhD level this is not acceptable. As you stated, the goal of a PhD is to expand to the existing level knowledge in a particularly finite area of study. This takes time, sacrifice and at times bringing many students to the brink of breaking down because.........IT IS REALLY HARD. Casually shopping around for a no name online PhD or doctorate makes no sense and such degrees are treated with the respect they deserve which is none.

I agree with both of you -- to a point. I don't necessarily think a doctorate should be fast, but I would like to see a reasonably inexpensive program.

If you want a cheap doctorate, you can always look at international schools. The added benefit is that most of what I've seen can be completed as quickly as you can reasonably provide a cogent, quality piece of original research (probably a minimum of two years if you are really dedicated). Oh, and if someone really wants to skip the defense part, just dig deep into Australian schools. Some of them don't require you to defend your dissertation because of the vast distances the committee would be required to travel for a true viva voce.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
(09-12-2017, 11:16 AM)Thorne Wrote: I agree with both of you -- to a point. I don't necessarily think a doctorate should be fast, but I would like to see a reasonably inexpensive program.

When I look at moving forward with one the many doctoral programs, the ranking factors shake out like this:

Key - I want a program to assist with personal growth and allow me to bring value back to the market because of it.

Cost - Value, Bargain, Cheap sounds like a perfect trifecta

Time - 2 years seems close to impossible minus some selective EdD and possibly UNISA's DBL. 3 & 4-year programs seem like a more realistic option for select programs.

(09-12-2017, 11:16 AM)Thorne Wrote:
(09-11-2017, 11:08 PM)cardiacclep Wrote:

I agree with both of you -- to a point. I don't necessarily think a doctorate should be fast, but I would like to see a reasonably inexpensive program.

If you want a cheap doctorate, you can always look at international schools. The added benefit is that most of what I've seen can be completed as quickly as you can reasonably provide a cogent, quality piece of original research (probably a minimum of two years if you are really dedicated). Oh, and if someone really wants to skip the defense part, just dig deep into Australian schools. Some of them don't require you to defend your dissertation because of the vast distances the committee would be required to travel for a true viva voce.

I don't have a problem with cheap, but expecting a competency-based doctorate goes against what a doctoral program is all about. The competency is being able to do research. If you want a competency-based doctorate, then find a dissertation-only doctorate. Those aren't fast, though, because foreign schools expect longer dissertations.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Grad Degrees with generous credit transfer NotJoeBiden 8 400 03-02-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  PhD for as little as $1290,66 p/a at a top 150 school. Personherebb9 44 6,405 01-25-2024, 01:00 PM
Last Post: Tireman4
  Online MS Biological Sciences - 8 Months - Automatic Admission to Medical School Captainrekt000 4 506 12-07-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  PhD - Swiss School of Business Research? michaeladsmith2 15 2,178 10-23-2023, 05:47 PM
Last Post: cacoleman1983
  Has anyone tried esneca business school? aquickquestion 8 1,725 10-06-2023, 09:02 AM
Last Post: elcastor21
  ESC Clermont Business School DBA durain 9 1,647 08-02-2023, 09:54 AM
Last Post: durain
  Texila & UCN - Masters/PhD Programs bjcheung77 5 2,816 06-13-2023, 04:21 AM
Last Post: ZoeRo
  EdS/Phd Hybrid/Online School Psychology programs? nyvrem 7 2,260 09-02-2022, 03:58 PM
Last Post: allvia
  funding sources for Law School without six figures of loan debt EducationSeeker 8 1,162 07-28-2022, 03:51 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  Montpellier Business School Online DBA, AACSB durain 14 3,428 06-14-2022, 07:34 PM
Last Post: durain