Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Grad School Thoughts - Masters/PHD
(12-04-2018, 01:14 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: If I go for the double major with Math, I'll be taking extra math courses from Westcott (transcripts are going to come from Brandman University - each course is expensive at roughly $550) and APU/AMU which is more expensive at about $810.  But for sure I am going for the BACS or BSIT since it is doable as there are cheaper CS/IT courses now.  I am still creating my template to compare the difference or requirements between the BACS/BSIT at Excelsior/TESU/WGU.

What does your spreadsheet and cost analysis look like for the BACS? I've got my BSIT, but a true CompSci degree from a state school would look better on a resume

Plus it would preempt my need for a more reputable Grad degree for another 5-6 years.
BS Information Technology - Security, Western Governors University, 2017. Journey thread here.
AAS Information Systems Cybersecurity, CC, 2017
AAS Computer Networking, CC, 2017

Certifications: A+, Linux+, Project+, CCNA, CCNA: Security, and CCNP

Credits:
Community College (79cr):
College Algebra (4), Comp I (3), Speech Comm (3), Federal Govt (3), Intro to Humanities (3), IT Courses (63)
WGU (35cr): IT Foundations & Applications (8), Project Management (4), Principles of Management (4), Spreadsheets (3), Database Management (4), Operating Systems I & II (8), IT Capstone (4)
StraighterLine (9cr): Org Behavior (3), Business Stat (3), English Comp II (3)
ALEKS (18cr): [Beginning, Intermediate, & College] Algebra (9), Trig (3), PreCalc (3), Intro to Stats (3)
Free Courses (8cr): Ethics (Institutes), Cyber 101 & 301 (TEEX), Developing Effective Teams & Essentials of Managing Conflict (Sophia)
I copy/pasted everything I had in a reply post and then PM you in the info as well... (maybe because I had them both open in two tabs, one of them didn't save). Weird...Anyways, here we go again... Here is how it shows on my end...

Capstone $1098
Residency $2200
Grad fee: $332
12 courses: $779
BACS Requirements and AOS Total: $4409

Required Courses 18 credits

Introduction to Programming - OnlineDegree.com $9
*Data Structures - Study.com $70 (waiting for ACE/NCCRS recommendation for credit)
Calculus I - Study.com $70
Discrete Math - Study.com $70
Introduction to Operating Systems - Study.com $70 (LL)
Computer Architecture - Study.com $70 (UL)

B. Capstone 3

LIB-495 Liberal Arts Capstone $1098 @TESU

C. Computer Science Electives* 18 credits

*Operating Systems - $70 Study.com, waiting for it to be UL soon
Programming Language 1 - $70 (Study.com C Programming Language)
Programming Language 2 - $70 (Study.com Java Programming Language)
Management Information Systems - $70 Study.com UL
Database Management - $70 Study.com UL
Information Systems Analysis & Design - $70 Study.com UL

I am taking more ACE/NCCRS Comp Sci courses such as the Study.com Comp Sci ones for learning purposes and review.

Update: I am looking into some Masters degree programs that are not test-out or competency-based, are there any that are "assignment or essay based"? I think the Purdue Global MBA is all essay work and has two courses only. I think the Amberton MBA is the same, I forget...

I kind of find it fun writing now after doing so many SL/Study.com courses that required writing assignments, it's feeling a bit weird just to test out of any courses. Furthermore, I really didn't test out of anything as I didn't do any CLEP/DSST... The only test-out-able Masters I recall are the HW ones...
Done: TESU ASNSM Biology, ASBA/BSBA (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)
Working on: TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Deferred: **Deciding on several Masters/PHD programs**

2018 BALS and BSBA Spreadsheet using mainly SL/Study.com (post#28,31)
The Basic Approach | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Review Beginners Guide sticky for info on TESU BALS/BSBA in 4 months (post #16)
~Note: Read Wiki guide links for TESU equivalency - CLEP/DSST/SL/Study.com, etc
Yeah, someone described the MBA as one paper for each of the 1 credit courses, then two courses which had multiple assignments. I'm not sure if the two have tests at all.
Working on second TESU degree. Graduate in June?
First Masters complete.
TESU BSBA (with ASNSM) in March 2018.
Introduction to Programming - OnlineDegree.com $9

is a bit of a gamble, with 3 months to retake, this can balloon fast. It's also not available outside the US Sad.

Personally I'm considering taking it with TESU with my capstone in March, and hopefully by the time I finish my capstone Data structure will be ace approved.
TESU BACS, Expected 2019, 117/120.
----
UPenn MCIT (Accepted in 2018, see story here).
NAU MCIT (Accepted in 2018, not pursuing)
TESU BSBA, 2018.
TESU ASNSM in Computer Science, 2018.
(12-17-2018, 07:13 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Update: I am looking into some Masters degree programs that are not test-out or competency-based, are there any that are "assignment or essay based"?  I think the Purdue Global MBA is all essay work and has two courses only.  I think the Amberton MBA is the same, I forget...

I think Purdue Global's counts as competency-based. Another is JFK U. JFK is the place that bought Patten. Theirs has a lot of papers, but I think it has one exam per course. So about 10 exams. They are $8500 for the year.

I hope you do CompSci at TESU. I just decided to restart my TESU CompSci journey Smile
Working on second TESU degree. Graduate in June?
First Masters complete.
TESU BSBA (with ASNSM) in March 2018.
(12-18-2018, 09:36 AM)Ideas Wrote:
(12-17-2018, 07:13 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Update: I am looking into some Masters degree programs that are not test-out or competency-based, are there any that are "assignment or essay based"?  I think the Purdue Global MBA is all essay work and has two courses only.  I think the Amberton MBA is the same, I forget...

I think Purdue Global's counts as competency-based. Another is JFK U. JFK is the place that bought Patten. Theirs has a lot of papers, but I think it has one exam per course. So about 10 exams. They are $8500 for the year.

I hope you do CompSci at TESU. I just decided to restart my TESU CompSci journey Smile

Just 1 exam per course? Dang that would be nice. I have approximately, on average, 3 exams per course and each course is 7 weeks long. All of that in addition to homework assignments and essays.
Beginning August 19, 2019

Master of Business Administration (MBA) - Management
Southeastern Oklahoma State University
AACSB-Accredited
Conferred 2019

Bachelor of Science (BS) - Biology
East Central University
Conferred 2015
Update: I'm closing in on my BA Comp Sci degree, finishing the last couple of UL courses and will start working on the Bio courses.
I have some time and was looking at possible masters. I am adding the following to my list of interests...

Edx.org Masters - Several degrees from $10-$25,000 https://www.edx.org/masters
Udacity Georgia Tech OMS CS - Tuition $510/3 credit course, https://www.udacity.com/georgia-tech
Coursera ASU MSCS - $15,000, 10 courses, 18-36 months - https://www.coursera.org/degrees
FutureLearn ARU Masters Project Management $6700GBP - https://www.futurelearn.com/degrees
FutureLearn Deakin MS Sustainable Development & Humanitarian Action $12,000AUD
Done: TESU ASNSM Biology, ASBA/BSBA (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)
Working on: TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Deferred: **Deciding on several Masters/PHD programs**

2018 BALS and BSBA Spreadsheet using mainly SL/Study.com (post#28,31)
The Basic Approach | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Review Beginners Guide sticky for info on TESU BALS/BSBA in 4 months (post #16)
~Note: Read Wiki guide links for TESU equivalency - CLEP/DSST/SL/Study.com, etc
(07-13-2019, 03:12 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Update: I'm closing in on my BA Comp Sci degree, finishing the last couple of UL courses and will start working on the Bio courses.  
I have some time and was looking at possible masters.  I am adding the following to my list of interests...

Edx.org Masters - Several degrees from $10-$25,000 https://www.edx.org/masters
Udacity Georgia Tech OMS CS - Tuition $510/3 credit course, https://www.udacity.com/georgia-tech
Coursera ASU MSCS - $15,000, 10 courses, 18-36 months - https://www.coursera.org/degrees
FutureLearn ARU Masters Project Management $6700GBP - https://www.futurelearn.com/degrees
FutureLearn Deakin MS Sustainable Development & Humanitarian Action $12,000AUD
Bjcheung77 which one you will go to take the course for your career?
Missouri State university MBA
TEEX: Cybersecurity 101 (4), Cybersecurity 201 (3), Cybersecurity 301 (3)
NEXT: In Future Ph.D in ???

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NAU - Online Masters CIT anjan42 5 528 08-01-2019, 12:43 PM
Last Post: Lewis.Yim
  New from Harvard Extension School Jonathan Whatley 91 3,677 07-29-2019, 08:54 PM
Last Post: ThatBankDude
  Masters/PhD in Psychology/Neuroscience options Supermind 23 861 07-26-2019, 10:26 PM
Last Post: Supermind
  BSB/HR Grad. MASTERS? Whenyousee20 17 377 07-18-2019, 03:28 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Thoughts on CSU Global? Dee12 0 194 07-10-2019, 08:49 AM
Last Post: Dee12
  Affordable Data Science Masters? NolaRice 10 779 06-10-2019, 05:18 PM
Last Post: martialartist
  Online grad schools, cheapest option, no GRE saraholson 16 1,426 06-07-2019, 06:55 AM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Masters in EE Colorado Boulder Cousera armstrongsubero 2 223 06-05-2019, 03:45 PM
Last Post: jonesy20
  Masters Help Patten Replacement armstrongsubero 12 481 06-05-2019, 02:16 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Cheapest Online History Masters Programs... am I missing any? npk32 17 2,882 06-05-2019, 09:16 AM
Last Post: dewisant