Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Journey: BA in English from TESU
Still not understanding the endgame here....but OK
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

The link to the Harvard Summer school course catalog is here https://www.summer.harvard.edu/course-catalog/courses

For some reason the Harvard Extension School and Harvard Summer School are separate and the catalog is under the Summer School.

They are offering the Poetry in America Whitman to Hip Hop Course for $250 but they are also offering the PIA Civil War for full price.
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
(02-16-2019, 09:16 PM)hsfamfun Wrote: The link to the Harvard Summer school course catalog is here https://www.summer.harvard.edu/course-catalog/courses

For some reason the Harvard Extension School and Harvard Summer School are separate and the catalog is under the Summer School.

They are offering the Poetry in America Whitman to Hip Hop Course for $250 but they are also offering the PIA Civil War for full price.

Thank you! 

I hope they offer 2 discounted ones in the fall.

In case others are interested, it says registration begins March 4th. I'm guessing regular registration goes until at least the end of May.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • hsfamfun
I decided against Biology. I really want English, but hate the Non-Western requirement. Now I'm thinking of taking Non-Western at TESU at the same time as the Capstone, instead of doing PLA.

(12-29-2018, 09:56 AM)jsh1138 Wrote: no, i didnt take the Harvard poetry or the Coopersmith one either. I might check those out but tbh I would pay more money not to have to take a poetry class so it wouldn't be my first choice. I'll see what the advisers say about this UL Africa thing and go from there I guess

I considered suggesting you just go for poetry, but you are smart to avoid the HES courses if you don't love poetry. (Coopersmith seems okay to me for someone who doesn't love poetry, if you can get it done fast. Especially anyone who has studied Judaism already.)

These spring HES courses are winding down. I feel like they've been going on for six months, but it's been only three. The quicker summer courses would be more of my style, but two at once would be a lot of poetry.

The courses are incredibly well done, not surprisingly, and classmates are generally so insightful. Most seem to be experienced teachers and/or to have advanced degrees.

I don't think I would have coped well with these final papers if I were young (unless I had a parent/tutor to work with).

I lost a lot of my motivation because I decided again that I probably won't do the English degree, but I may use these grad credits in some way sometime. I'm tempted to do the HES grad cert by taking two courses next year, but by then I may have other plans that are more important. But maybe sometime!

Or I might find some other grad cert that will take these. I'd especially like a writing cert, but then these probably won't count. If anyone finds a good cert (writing or not), please share. I could be interested in a variety of types including a writing instruction cert. I'm aware of one or two writing instruction grad certs that were mentioned before.

Just a few more thoughts about the poetry courses for anyone taking them: I expected essay grading to be a little easier, but I think it's fair for graduate level at a good school. And it is easy to get full credit for the discussion portion of the grade and the thesis statement portion. In the courses I took, those were half the grade put together. The exit surveys might have counted in the grade slightly, but that is unclear to me. Quizzes were somewhat challenging in a good way, but they dropped your lowest scores, at least in one of the classes.

Unlikely, but I still may do English at TESU. Even if I cannot get the third major (English), I might complete all the English requirements anyway, as I think I have very little left. I believe it's just Non-Western Lit and the English CLEP (and the Coopersmith exam which I still plan to do, I paid for it). (The CLEP would be relatively easy for me.) And perhaps a cheaper/faster Non-Western Lit becomes available in the next year. (Study.com and others know that it's in demand).

Looking back to the feedback I got on my thesis paragraph, I felt that one grader was not too specific and made me think that I was on the right track, when I was farther off. The grader feedback did help me improve, just nearly as much as I would have liked. I guess I felt that feedback should have made it more obvious that I needed to do much more. Both graders pointed out a lot of specific things with my essay grades, and on the one hand, that's great to know. Most graders don't do that. On the other hand, it did greatly add to the feeling that the thesis feedback wasn't enough.

I don't think that most Eng grad students would have this issue because they would write their thesis more correctly off the bat, I am just an English undergrad student Smile

The paper/essay seemed basically unstructured to me. They give you some examples of topics and papers, but my feeling was you could pretty much pick whatever topic/theme. You either pick 2 poems from the course or 1 poem. I decided 1 poem wouldn't give me enough to write about unless it was a longer poem, but others might prefer having the one focus. There are so many poems to choose from, so I feel like it's basically open-ended. You don't have to find academic or other references to cite, but you can.

I'm glad I was able to take 2 of these, but both at once was a little much for me.

So, your second BA from TESU is a BA Comp Sci? If you really want the third major in English, you can do a double major. I finally decided to do a double major in Comp Sci and Math after going back and forth in dropping the Math.

BTW, I forget, what was your ASNSM in and your BSBA concentration? You can try to use up to 9 credits from the previous degree and see if it helps your BA Comp Sci. Hope this helps...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-23-2019, 10:49 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: So, your second BA from TESU is a BA Comp Sci? If you really want the third major in English, you can do a double major.  I finally decided to do a double major in Comp Sci and Math after going back and forth in dropping the Math.

BTW, I forget, what was your ASNSM in and your BSBA concentration?  You can try to use up to 9 credits from the previous degree and see if it helps your BA Comp Sci.  Hope this helps...

I'm already doing a double major in Comp Sci and Biology. I don't have much left, but I'm a lot slower with Comp Sci and Biology than other courses. Plus I thought I was going to do English so I spent time on some of those courses.

My ASNSM was Comp Sci and Biology. At the time I didn't think I'd ever do a Bio degree and wasn't sure I would complete the Comp Sci degree as planned.

Good luck with Math!

I have no idea if this would work or not, but there is quite a bit of discussion about a Non Western Literature class and I saw this LIT 912 African Folktales class at Fresno Pacific Continuing Education.  These classes transcribe as graduate classes and I was told they can be taken by anyone.  It is $435 for a 3 hour class and they send out coupons frequently to those on their email list, although they are usually only $10 or $20 off per class.

Here is the link:https://ce.fresno.edu/independent-studies/lit-912
23 year old son: BOG AAS from Pierpont CTC Dec 2019
Myself: BS Business/French-1991, Masters of Rehabilitation Counseling-1995, Completed the Poetry in America Series from HES for 20 credits in English in May 2019.
[-] The following 2 users Like hsfamfun's post:
  • Ideas, Muldoon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Information TESU Debuts New Logo jch 15 698 03-22-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: bluebooger
  Business 421 capstone | TESU | Tips from our members akr680 10 1,976 03-22-2024, 12:00 AM
Last Post: TopHatWombat
  TESU Research Methods in Experimental Psychology amleigh 4 261 03-18-2024, 09:25 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  TESU Response Time For Application joshua27 3 230 03-02-2024, 02:24 PM
Last Post: joshua27
  Free ways(e.g. TECEP)to register at TESU? Also say thank you to@bjcheung77@LevelUp Felisa 2 301 03-01-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  SAS Programmer Certificates at TESU jg_nuy 5 267 02-29-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: mog538
  Conflicting info from TESU for dual degrees?? ACI 32 2,158 02-22-2024, 12:19 PM
Last Post: faptaincrunch
  Admitted BA Computers Science - TESU Chan.kckn 3 391 02-21-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Transfer to TESU Questions homeschoolmom1 14 726 02-20-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Remaining Classes for TESU Degree faptaincrunch 7 568 02-20-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: faptaincrunch