Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
My Journey from Dead End Job to Success
Companies are funny. I think that if you leave some companies... Proctor and Gamble comes to mind, don't think about going back. Other companies? Well, why should they do all the training, mentoring, etc. within if they can pull someone from another organization that took care of that? If you go back to the "old boyfriend," just know that he's not Mr. Right, he's just Mr. Right-now. Be prepared to move on when a better bet comes along.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
I am postponing my MBA degree for a few years. My father has decided to end his 22 year fight with a chronic disease by going on hospice. He is finally comfortable and pain free for the first time in a long time but is fading fast. Selfishly, I am miserable he will not be at my commencement on Sept 26th The tickets for the ceremony came in the mail the day he became bed ridden and I can barely look at them. My dad is only 68...a manufacturer's device that did not have adequate safety standards poisoned him on the job when he was 45. The age I am now.

There is going to be a lot to do when he passes, not just with settling his estate but I've got to help Mom sell the house, find a smaller place and settle into a new routine. And my own daughter is only 9, she needs a mom and my sweet hubby needs a wife. And I'm the primary wage earner so I have to keep working...

I've already emailed WGU. Sorry to anyone reading this for the colossal bum-out.
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
MBA - Management & Strategy, WGU, July 2016
BSBA - Operations Management, TESU, Sept. 2015
AAS - Dietetic Technology, Middlesex County College, May 1999
Congrats and great story!
Denise

MS - Management and Leadership, WGU 2022
BS - Liberal Arts - Depths in Healthcare and Psychology, Excelsior College 2014
Certificate - Workers Comp Admin, UC Davis Extension, 1995
AA - Licensed Vocational Nursing and Selected Studies, Mesa College 1989
Certificate - Licensed Vocational Nursing (LVN), Mesa College 1977

Also, someday maybe a MS in Forensic Psychology, just for fun.   Oh, and a BS in Animal Behavior.  And, maybe when I'm 85 a PhD in something fun.

Dad's gone. But will never be forgotten.

On an almost absurd note....my old company called and I have an interview for Senior Director of Strategic Planning next week. I'm going on the interview but have no idea what to expect. Previously, I was in the Healthcare division and this position is in the Corporate division. The client is a major pharmaceutical company. Maybe a different division of my old company might do things differently? I guess they do, they're interviewing me for a higher level position whereas the Healthcare division never did. And the person interviewing me is a female executive which is not the norm in the Healthcare division. I'd be really excited if we didn't just have my dad's service yesterday. I miss him.
-Dina
DBA - researching options currently (if you have any wisdom to share, please do!)
Received 2 more hits from CareerBuilder after uploading my new resume that included my degree. Did a telephone interview with one that went well but I didn't so so well on the Excel test. So I signed up for a MOOC to teach me the ins and outs of the formula for data manipulation.

Interview with my old company went OK. But the position is new, the people interviewing me didn't really have a clear idea of what the responsibilities would be and the site is 60 miles from my house - if I don't get a call back, I won't be heartbroken.

My diploma came in the mail yesterday - it was great to see it.
-Dina
Commencement for TESC was wonderful. Wish my dad could have been there but he knew I had finished college before he passed. And because I hyphenated my last name, Silbernagel appears on a 4 year college diploma. As far as I know, the only time that will ever happen. TESC had a "Tell Your Story" booth before the ceremony and I did a video. Everyone should know college is possible, no matter what the circumstances.
-Dina
passit1, I haven't been following this thread so only got caught up today.

So sorry to hear about your Dad, sounds like he raised a wonderful daughter who must have made him very proud. thanks for sharing your story and I wish you much continued success.
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Sorry to read about your Father's passing.

It is great to see how your degree is already paying dividends. This has been a great and touching thread.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
I too did not know your backstory until today - you're a true inspiration to not only your family, but to all of us here as well.

You look awesome in your cap and gown...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!:hurray::hurray::hurray:
"I dwell in Possibility."  Emily Dickinson
2011-12  CLEP
 Int Psych - 75 / H G & D - 69 / Ed Psych - 72 / Am Lit - 80  / A & I Lit - 75 / Eng Lit - 73 2012-13  SL  Eng Comp I - 95.3% P /
Eng Comp II - 97.5% P 2014  EC/UEXCEL  Ab Psych - A / Soc Psych - A / Psych A & A - A  / Gerontology - A / Info Lit - P 2015 BYU Sport Psych - A / DSST Sub Abuse - 470 / Int World Rel - 481 / H T Y H - 465 / Tor College HIS 301 - 81% P 2016 EC LA498 Capstone - A
1991 AA Liberal Arts USNY Regents College
2016 BSLA Magna Cum Laude Excelsior College  - A 5 year journey COMPLETED!

2017-2019 Study.com Certs. - Am Lit/Brit Lit/Shakespeare/Poetry Review Shmoop - Shakespeare's Plays/Shakespeare in Context/Women's Lit
I am sorry to hear of your fathers passing but I am sure he was proud of you for getting your degree. Good luck on the job search!
Bachelors in Liberal Studies TESC 12/11/15

Various certifications and 1 community college class

TESC English 101
TESC Living in the Information age
TESC Intro to Psychology
TESC Intro to Computers

DSST Personal Finance 1/14
DSST Hear's to your health 3/14
DSST Intro to Business 4/14
DSST Organization Behavior 5/14
DSST Substance Abuse 5/14
DSST Intro to World Religion 6/14
DSST Environment and Humanity 7/14
DSST Human Resource Management 8/14
DSST Money & Banking 8/14
CLEP A&I Lit 8/14
CLEP Intro to Sociology 9/14
DSST Intro to Modern Middle East 12/14
DSST Western Europe since 1945 12/14
ALEKS Intermediate Algebra 2/15
ALEKS College Algebra 2/15
ALEKS Intro to stats 2/15
ALEKS PreCalc 2/15
CLEP History of US I 3/15
CLEP History of US II 4/15
CLEP American Gov 5/15
DSST Principles of Sup 5/15
CLEP Amer Lit 6/15
CLEP Social Science 7/15
CLEP Human growth Dev 8/15
CLEP College Comp 9/15
CLEP Humanities 9/15
TESC Capstone 10/15

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior University & StraighterLine success story! bjcheung77 0 606 03-07-2023, 07:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Article about DegreeForum journey smartdegree 11 1,285 02-19-2023, 05:32 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Union Plus Free Degrees are Dead TINASAM 9 1,794 09-11-2022, 02:14 PM
Last Post: redheadguy03
  9 Self Limiting Beliefs That Are Holding You Back from Success LevelUP 0 326 08-24-2022, 06:09 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Success Stories With Your Degrees Dlynn1219 2 904 01-02-2022, 01:39 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  StraighterLine - Success Stories bjcheung77 0 864 11-08-2021, 10:03 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  College For America Is Dead harrypotter 10 1,680 06-17-2021, 04:31 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Any "Start From Scratch" members willing to share their journey? Idreamofadegree 23 4,763 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Journey Thread -- BS Cybersecurity quigongene 106 24,920 01-26-2019, 12:39 PM
Last Post: quigongene
  My WGU BS in Accounting Journey! airricklee 10 6,568 04-04-2017, 11:30 AM
Last Post: airricklee