Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Transfer Plan - Please Advise
Hello, All. 

Thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge. I came across this forum while I was in the process of applying to WGU without any college credits (only a 4 on the AP English exam from high school). Since browsing these pages I have learned so much, and now I think UMPI would be a better fit for me. I would like to apply for the Bachelor in Liberal Studies with the Education Minor. 

I have always stayed home with my children and due to my lack of education I felt stuck in that role, but now that they are old enough to go to school, I also really want to work. I think I would enjoy a support role in the school system, which is why I chose the education minor. Initially, I felt like earning my degree was hopeless, but since learning about competency based education, everything suddenly feels possible. 

Using the information I gathered here, I made this plan, but I am hoping someone with UMPI experience could review it to see if you have some different suggestions. I have already gotten started with Sophia and have been able to complete about a course a day. (So far I've finished Algebra, Communication at Work, and Environment Science)

I hope to finish these courses in time to be able to begin at UMPI in July, transferring in as many of the 90 credits as possible. Being able to finish my degree soon is more important to me than reducing the cost. I will be eligible for Pell Grants for UMPI. This degree could change everything for me. I can't begin to express how grateful I am for all of the information you have shared. 

AP English score for English composition requirements

Sophia Courses:
Art History I
Art History II
College Algebra
Conflict Resolution
Developing Effective Teams
Environmental Science
Human Biology
IT Career Exploration
Introduction to Business
Introduction to Ethics
Introduction to Psychology
Introduction to Sociology
Macroeconomics
Microeconomics
Essentials of Managing Conflict
U.S. History
U.S. History II
Visual Communications
Project Management
Business Law
Principle of Finance
Introduction to Information Technology
Accounting
Ancient Greek Philosophers
Communication at Work
Introduction to Web Development

Straighterline:
Biology Lab
American Government
Spanish

Thank you in advance.
The Intro to Psych class from Sophia doesn't appear to be transferring these days so I would skip that one. I'd also skip StraighterLine. I'd take Biology with Lab from Study.com along with an additional UL course. Then I would take Spanish and American Government on InstantCert. It's cheaper and faster. Good luck!
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • ISKBizz15
Why did you pick SL for those classes? I would instead do Biology 101L at Study.com. The virtual lab is cheaper and easier than the physical lab kit that SL ships you. Do American Government and Spanish at InstantCert. Again, cheaper and easier than SL here.

Since a SDC membership gives you two courses in one month for $200, I would choose a relatively easy UL elective there. While you have to complete most of your ULs at UMPI, taking an easy one from SDC won't hurt.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(04-08-2022, 10:53 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Why did you pick SL for those classes? I would instead do Biology 101L at Study.com. The virtual lab is cheaper and easier than the physical lab kit that SL ships you. Do American Government and Spanish at InstantCert. Again, cheaper and easier than SL here.

Since a SDC membership gives you two courses in one month for $200, I would choose a relatively easy UL elective there. While you have to complete most of your ULs at UMPI, taking an easy one from SDC won't hurt.

I think the format/appearance of study.com initially intimidated me and I have no experience with Spanish, so I thought the Rosetta Stone component with Straighterline would help me learn it better. I didn't realize the Straighterline required a physical lab kit and Study.com did not. I am so glad I asked! I didn't see any upper lever education courses on SDC, but maybe I missed it. Thank you very much for the advice!!

(04-08-2022, 10:49 AM)ss20ts Wrote: The Intro to Psych class from Sophia doesn't appear to be transferring these days so I would skip that one. I'd also skip StraighterLine. I'd take Biology with Lab from Study.com along with an additional UL course. Then I would take Spanish and American Government on InstantCert. It's cheaper and faster. Good luck!

Thank you for letting me know! I was planning to take Psych next. Do you know of anything I don't have on my plan yet that I could replace it with that would transfer?
You don't need to replace Psych. Take an UL course on Study.com. You can take 2 exams a month on Study.com so I recommend taking an UL course along with Biology with Lab.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • larabell
I don't know about the Rosetta Stone aspect of SL, but plenty of students from this forum with no prior foreign language experience have passed Spanish at InstantCert for UMPI.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • larabell
(04-08-2022, 11:44 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I don't know about the Rosetta Stone aspect of SL, but plenty of students from this forum with no prior foreign language experience have passed Spanish at InstantCert for UMPI.

Great, thank you!
Basically, I would follow what was mentioned earlier, just curious if you already have invested in a second monitor for more screen real-estate to multi task easier? If not, I highly advise investing in one, you can get things done much easier and faster.

Another thing is, since you mentioned "finishing sooner is more important than cost", I would recommend not rushing things and complete the Sophia.org, InstantCert according to your pace and speed. You've waited this long already, continue onward...

Essentially, I would work on the Study.com courses last and verify your courses are complete and ready to transfer on a spreadsheet, use this to record and track your progress. These are the required courses for the Education Minor https://online.umpi.edu/programs/bls-edu...minor.aspx
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Mr T
(04-08-2022, 02:24 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Basically, I would follow what was mentioned earlier, just curious if you already have invested in a second monitor for more screen real-estate to multi task easier?  If not, I highly advise investing in one, you can get things done much easier and faster.  

Another thing is, since you mentioned "finishing sooner is more important than cost", I would recommend not rushing things and complete the Sophia.org, InstantCert according to your pace and speed.  You've waited this long already, continue onward...

Essentially, I would work on the Study.com courses last and verify your courses are complete and ready to transfer on a spreadsheet, use this to record and track your progress.  These are the required courses for the Education Minor https://online.umpi.edu/programs/bls-edu...minor.aspx

Thank you for all of the suggestions. I will keeping pressing onward.
Rosetta Stone will be complete overkill for the language requirement at UMPI. InstantCert's Spanish 1 is really all you need.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Transfer and see what transfers, BEFORE starting the degree? ecdw94 8 362 03-24-2024, 01:27 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  HELP! SDC to UMPI transfer jrock87 3 198 03-16-2024, 12:14 AM
Last Post: jrock87
  Study Plan to Earn 30 Credits in a Single 8-week Session FM1 14 1,423 03-04-2024, 11:49 PM
Last Post: CCCollege
  Can I transfer credits after applying? annanotherone 8 473 02-22-2024, 11:39 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI - Degree Plan Help NJC2023 16 1,549 02-19-2024, 11:44 AM
Last Post: NJC2023
  BLS Management Minor Degree Plan mohelena02 3 250 02-18-2024, 12:42 PM
  Help - UMPI Degree Plan Lorvey 45 4,309 02-08-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: Lorvey
  Transfer credit help needed - UMPI for BA in Accounting Sarajane 15 1,742 02-06-2024, 07:12 PM
  UMPI Psychology Degree Plan natshar 1 402 01-30-2024, 04:09 PM
  UMPI BABA PM&IS Degree Plan Help (Advice) 4KJB 1 475 01-18-2024, 08:10 PM