Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
My WGU BS-CSIA Journey
This will be my WGU BS-CSIA thread where I plan to keep a record of my progress and offer any advice that might be useful. I’ve been inspired by quigongene and others on this forum to peruse my degree from WGU. I could attend a conventional state school or alternative options but I can’t justify the cost and time associated with those choices. I aim to accelerate through WGU and search for an appropriate Master’s program and maybe something beyond that, depending on what my niche is.

My PierPont transcript arrived after being forgotten but was issued when the error was discovered. I am at 49 out of 122 credit hours for the WGU degree. I was counting on transferring 70ish credits but most of my IT credits are from 2013. I thought about appealing my IT credits but at this stage I want to start on my projects.

I’m attaching my evaluation from WGU and PierPont, that way you can look at how the BOG A.A.S transferred in.

My objective is 20 credits a month or more. I will devote 8-15 hours a day to this activity.

If there are any WGU students that would like to share their tips for these class’s I'm all ears!

I plan to start by the 15th if not I will have to wait for the 1st of next month.
Thank you for all the support and feedback, I never thought I would make it this far.

Attached Files
.pdf   Transcript_Evaluation_Results 2.pdf (Size: 1.94 MB / Downloads: 329)
WGU BSCSIA (In progress starting Feb 1st 2019)  49/122 credit hours.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
SL. Intro to Environmental Science, Intro to Biology.  6 Credit hours.
Brick and Mortar college's 50 RA credits.
Pierpont institutional credit  INFO 2207, INFO 2256, INFO 2305. 9 Credit hours.
Sophia.
 Developing Effective Teams, The Essentials of Managing Conflict. 2 Credit hours
The Institutes. 312N-H Ethics, 2 credit hours.
Brick and Mortar College. Eng 205 research writing, 3 credit hours.

CLEP. Information Systems, 3 Credit hours.
Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
[-] The following 2 users Like Life_One's post:
  • lynnii2, quigongene
All the best!
TESU BALS-Psych. + ASNSM(Math) 

TEEX(6): Cybersec. 101/201/301
The Institutes(2): Ethics
Sophia(2): Ess. Of Managing Conflict, Dev. Effective Teams
NFA(1): Comm. Safety Edu.
GED(10): NAS-131, SOC-273, MAT-121, HUM-101 (1)
Study.com(75): Intro to Psych., Soc. Psych.-1, Growth & Dev. Psych., Personality Psych., History & Systems of Psych., Org. Theory, Library Science, Comm. at Workplace, Intro to World Religion, I/O Psych., Ethics in Soc. Sc., Org. Comm., Eng. 104, Eng. 105, History of Vietnam war, Sp. Ed. History & Law, Diff. Ed., Classroom Mgmt., Foundations of Ed., Abnormal Psych., Rsch. methods in Psych., College Math, Intro. to Geometry., Calculus (6).
Saylor (15): Intro. to Mol. & Cellular Bio., Comp. Politics, Corporate Comm., Env. Ethics, Principles of Comm. 
TESU (1): Cornerstone, Lib. 495 Capstone.
CSM (3): Quant. reasoning. 
Aleks (6): Trigonometry, Intro to Statistics. 

MS-Psychology; Walden University 
GPA: 4/4
[-] The following 1 user Likes Supermind's post:
  • Life_One
Good luck!!! Join the Slack channel once you get your email address. It looks like they've changed the curriculum a bit since I started. Nice job getting the Pierpont AAS applied!!
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

[-] The following 1 user Likes quigongene's post:
  • Life_One
(01-12-2019, 03:51 AM)quigongene Wrote: Good luck!!! Join the Slack channel once you get your email address. It looks like they've changed the curriculum a bit since I started. Nice job getting the Pierpont AAS applied!!

Thank you! Joined the slack channel today on your recommendation, hopefully I can keep up with the curriculum changes. I also have the Chrome extension installed to help find useful information for my courses.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
Sophia.

Stanford Online. America's Poverty and Inequality Course, Statement of accomplishment.  
Hey, good luck, you go this!! I didn't look at the attachment in detail, but skimmed through it...
Aren't there more alternative credits you could get before you enroll with them? Did you max out?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-12-2019, 12:14 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hey, good luck, you go this!! I didn't look at the attachment in detail, but skimmed through it...
Aren't there more alternative credits you could get before you enroll with them? Did you max out?

Thank you!

Data Management-Foundations, Network and Security-Foundations, Scripting and programming-foundations. They can be completed with the MTA exams or other certifications.
Business of project management can be completed with the Comptia Project+ or a course on Study.com.

Those are the only additional courses that I could transfer in, the reason I didn't complete the courses before hand was the cost. For what it would cost to take those exams would be the same amount I would have to pay at WGU for my complete tuition. I also have the bonus of my class's having all the notes and study material in one place with out having to search through the internet to find the material I need.

The max credits they allow is 75 credits, in the past I think you could transfer more. Some of the other programs accept more class's.

https://www.straighterline.com/colleges/...uivalency/ Has a good listing. (If I have misinformation in these posts please let me know, learning as I go)
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
Sophia.

(01-12-2019, 03:51 AM)quigongene Wrote: Good luck!!! Join the Slack channel once you get your email address. It looks like they've changed the curriculum a bit since I started. Nice job getting the Pierpont AAS applied!!

You're right Gene, it looks like they have changed up the Gen eds a little bit.

Life_One, you can do this. If you're dedicated and have some background in the course material, one term completion is achievable. I have two little kids and a busy job, yet I completed 76 credits in my first term. There's a reason you get a coffee cup in your welcome kit.

Congrats on starting your journey.
[-] The following 2 users Like timmmay's post:
  • Life_One, quigongene
(01-12-2019, 07:18 PM)timmmay Wrote:

You're right Gene, it looks like they have changed up the Gen eds a little bit.

Life_One, you can do this. If you're dedicated and have some background in the course material, one term completion is achievable. I have two little kids and a busy job, yet I completed 76 credits in my first term. There's a reason you get a coffee cup in your welcome kit.

Congrats on starting your journey.

Thank you for the support! 76 credits in one term that is blazing fast. You inspire me, I'll do my best and see how it comes together. Thank goodness for the coffee cup haha.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
Sophia.

Updates! Feb 19th through the 27th

I've passed my Student orientation, and I started my official first class on the 19th which is fundamentals of information security. About a day of studying later I passed the pre-assessment. I found out I have to wait for my official WGU camera to take the tests through Proctor U... The camera will hopefully arrive no later than the 1st.    

From the 20th until now I've been studying Ethics in Technology. I don't particularly like this course, and I have slowed down my pace of learning because I can't take my final tests until the camera arrives. I passed the pre-assessment today and I want to take both finals as quickly as I can.

I've been using Anki to import flashcards from Quizlet for my class along with the traditional course material.
https://apps.ankiweb.net/ 
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/590899480

The other tool I am using is the Vivaldi browser. I love their built in screenshot and noting tool, I also use the Vivaldi browser to only have WGU/Career information stored in it. I have it synched across my devices and it's great for situational studying by only using that browser for school work.   
https://vivaldi.com

My student mentor is awesome and has unlocked all pre-assessments. To unlock object-assessments I e-mail or call him and everything happens in a few minutes.  

My goal is 20 credits a month, I'm thinking this is more than doable. The hardest part is waiting on this camera. 

I'll keep all of you updated. I'm so happy to be working with WGU, these guys have their act together and make accelerating through class's a breeze.
PierPont BOG A.A.S 2018

CompTIA A+,Sec+.
Sophia.

[-] The following 2 users Like Life_One's post:
  • quigongene, Sapientes
I think you got it pat down perfectly. 20 units should be doable as you mentioned. Haha, don't worry too much about the camera or anything, just keep plugging in...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • Life_One

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Starting the WGU BSCSIA journey, early 2023 raekwon 5 1,125 01-04-2023, 12:31 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Finished MS-CSIA! jamshid666 13 2,325 05-23-2021, 09:00 PM
Last Post: jamshid666
  Documenting My Journey: WGU BSIT-Security Thorne 79 21,781 01-24-2018, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Thorne