Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My WGU BS-NOS Accountability
(01-10-2018, 08:40 AM)quigongene Wrote: Do you have input as to what you take next?  Or does WGU just assign it to you?

Well, the program has a semi-structured syllabus which generally directs you to do things in a fairly logical order, so they try to stick with that but it's still an open dialog between you and your program mentor. I can request whichever course I want next and she will check to make sure that it makes sense (not doing Comp II ahead of Comp I, or doing CCNA-Security before ICND1 for instance) but I haven't run into any situations that she's recommended something different.

At this point, I have a hand full of courses that don't really have a particular order to them so I am just taking them as I feel comfortable. I am trying to mix up the easier courses for me with the writing courses since they take more effort at this point.
My WGU BS-NOS Accountability thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...?tid=28160

WGU BS Network Operations and Security 9/18
WGU MS Cybersecurity and Information Assurance 5/20

DONE!
My experience was similar to Ski's. My mentor recommended which course I would do next, but ultimately let me decide.

I broke his suggestion once and it was fine, but it probably would turn out quite differently if someone tried to do DB Applications before finishing IT Essentials.
Master of Business Administration, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Management & Team Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in International Trade, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Supply Chain Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2021
Master in Project Management, Universidad Isabel I, 2023

BS Information Technology, Western Governors University, 2017
AAS Cybersecurity, Community College, 2017
FEMA Emergency Management Certificate, 2017
Fundraising Specialization Certificate, Berkeley/Haas, 2020

Undergraduate Credits: 165 Semester Credits
Graduate Credits: 105 ECTS (52.5 Semester Credits)
I'll third this. My mentor's plan strayed a bit from the suggested path. He always asked me what i thought of his plan and gave me the option to switch it up, and I broke with him twice. Once was probably a mistake in retrospect Big Grin
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(01-10-2018, 11:29 AM)Thorne Wrote: I broke his suggestion once and it was fine, but it probably would turn out quite differently if someone tried to do DB Applications before finishing IT Essentials.

Pretty sure most greybeards could handle it :-D

(01-10-2018, 11:43 AM)jsd Wrote: I'll third this.

Sweet!! Love knowing what I'm getting into beforehand :-)
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

(01-10-2018, 01:08 PM)quigongene Wrote: Sweet!! Love knowing what I'm getting into beforehand :-)

If you have more WGU questions, feel free to ask. If you want you can also join the Slack WGUit group and ask any questions there. It's a great resource to have at your disposal.
My WGU BS-NOS Accountability thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...?tid=28160

DONE!
[-] The following 1 user Likes theonlyski's post:
  • quigongene
(01-10-2018, 06:56 AM)theonlyski Wrote: C456 - English Composition II is in the blue! I'm not a big fan of writing but the assignments weren't terrible and my Course Mentor has been great to work with. She didn't do the work for me but she pointed me in the direction I should go and she hasn't said a single thing that I disagreed with. I had the same CM for both Comp I & II which apparently WGU likes to do for continuity.

Not sure what I'll do next yet, 11 courses remain of which three are courses which involve writing papers, six are certification tests and two are OAs.

I have my SM/PM call tomorrow, so I should have a plan by then.

I'm starting the same program on March 1.  I'm encouraged from your thread to see the English Composition and Lab components not be as involved as on Straighterline.  The lab especially scared me from SL as there were 7 or 8 modules.

Good luck!  I'll be following this thread.
I'm hoping to start in March as well.  Right now chosen degree is BS-IT.  However, I'm thinking that maybe the NOS may be a better fit, just didn't know if it would be better to get a specific degree or go more broad and earn certs towards the direction I want to go.  My AAS transferred in and they gave me 61 credits to start with.  The remaining list doesn't look too bad but we'll see once I get started.  I happy to have found this forum, looks like it'll be helpful for sure.
Nice! 28 days in on my side and have a English Comp II task 2 to complete.. About 5 pages into the paper now and just want to power through. This is the last class in my 'term'. Let me know if you need any help with anything or want to compare notes.
After about two months (if not more) of not working on school work, C850 Emerging Tech is in the blue, not a fun experience and not my most graceful win, but I'll take it.

10 Courses (35CU) remaining.

DONE!
[-] The following 1 user Likes theonlyski's post:
  • jsd
Congrats! Hope everything outside of school is going okay for you. If so, get back on the horse!
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • theonlyski