Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help with WGU Degree Plan
why do you think doing courses through StraighterLine, ALEKS or anywhere else would be faster/easier than doing them through WGU ?
(09-07-2018, 12:08 AM)bluebooger Wrote: why do you think doing courses through StraighterLine, ALEKS or anywhere else would be faster/easier than doing them through WGU ?

I don't know for sure if it is or isn't. I am just going off of my own (non-WGU) experience that these options were easier for me. Also, he wants to enroll in WGU needing to take as few gen ed classes as possible. Also, he has always been anti-college, so the fact he is asking me about it now, I want to make sure this process is as easy as possible for him.
Baker College BBA (Graduated May 2019)
SL Credits: 54
ALEKS Credits: 9
(09-06-2018, 11:49 PM)dan.g Wrote:
(09-06-2018, 10:59 PM)shadowgem Wrote:
(09-06-2018, 08:52 PM)dan.g Wrote: Hello Everybody,

I know somebody who is looking at a Bachelor's in Network Operations and Security at WGU, mainly for the certs. He has no college credits currently, he will be starting from scratch. With me being a Straighterline Junkie, I informed him that the Gen Ed classes can be taken at Straighterline so he can hop right into the IT curriculum. Here are the general education classes I see that are needed, and my best guess at equivalents on SL. Let me know your thoughts:

Introduction to Communication - SL Intro to Comm
English Composition I - SL English Comm I
English Composition II - SL English Comm II
Introduction to Geography - SL Western Civilization I?
Intermediate Algebra - Aleks College Algebra?
Introduction to Probability and Statistics - SL Introduction to Statistics
Introduction to Humanities - SL Intro to Religion
Critical Thinking and Logic - Need guidance here
College Algebra - Aleks PreCalc?
Introduction to Biology - SL Intro to Biology
Natural Science Lab - SL Biology Lab
Integrated Physical Sciences - SL General Chemestry I

I appreciate your feedback on if I am on the right track, and if these classes will work. Also, what about Critical Thinking and Logic, any idea for that requirement? I'd like to help him get rolling quick so he can jump right into the IT courses
I'm not sure your friend will be able to earn credit for both Aleks College Algebra and Aleks Precalculus. Aleks recently restricted some course combinations from being able to receive credit. Aleks Ace Credit-Recommended Details

*Students cannot receive ACE credit for both of the courses in the following combinations:
  • College Algebra and College Algebra with Trigonometry

• College Algebra and PreCalculus

• College Algebra with Trigonometry and Trigonometry

• Trigonometry and PreCalculus

• College Algebra with Trigonometry and PreCalculus

• Introduction to Statistics and Business Statistics

• Introduction to Statistics and Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences

• Business Statistics and Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences
Study.com does offer courses for Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, and PreCalculus, so that may be another option as well.

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess College Algebra and Trigonometry as separate courses would be fine?

As far as I can tell you should still be able to get credit for both of those Aleks courses individually without any problem. You should also be able to earn credit in one of the statistics courses as well if that is needed, although some find the Aleks statistics course more challenging than their other courses.
I posted in the wrong thread.
I got Intermediate Algebra from ALEKS ALEK-0002 and I got College Algebra from ALEKS ALEK-0003.

If he's already paying for ALEKS, give the statistics a shot as well, since even my Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences counted to WGU for Intro to Prob and Stats.

You most likely will not be able to transfer in Critical Thinking and Logic, but it's a weekend course (can be done in two days). Also, if he hasn't already gotten the SL courses for Comp 1 & 2, do them at WGU. FAR less work (like, a fraction!)

I did intro to American Government at SL and it fulfilled the into to geography, so I don't see why western civ wouldn't.

If you have any other specific questions about the BSNOS, let me know.
My WGU BS-NOS Accountability thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/showthr...?tid=28160

WGU BS Network Operations and Security 9/18
WGU MS Cybersecurity and Information Assurance 5/20

DONE!
(09-06-2018, 11:09 PM)jsd Wrote: WGU will accept the higher level algebra course to satisfy both the lower level and higher level if im reading the transfer guide correctly

This guide is from before ALEKS expired and then re-upped with ACE.  I think ACE will no longer put all courses on your transcript, so it's not as easy as WGU accepting them.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
No i mean if you just do ALEKS Algebra, I believe that WGU will use that to satisfy both Intermediate Algebra and Algebra.

I know that's how they do it with high level certs (CCNA will satisfy both CCNA and Net+, for example), and the guide seems to imply that with math as well.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
(09-08-2018, 11:41 AM)jsd Wrote: No i mean if you just do ALEKS Algebra, I believe that WGU will use that to satisfy both Intermediate Algebra and Algebra.

I know that's how they do it with high level certs (CCNA will satisfy both CCNA and Net+, for example), and the guide seems to imply that with math as well.

Ah - that makes more sense!

Just an FYI, I know that people have complained on here that they didn't like the SL English I & II courses, and took the CLEP and/or DSST exams or the Study.com courses for those instead and were much happier.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-08-2018, 02:36 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(09-08-2018, 11:41 AM)jsd Wrote: No i mean if you just do ALEKS Algebra, I believe that WGU will use that to satisfy both Intermediate Algebra and Algebra.

Ah - that makes more sense!

Just an FYI, I know that people have complained on here that they didn't like the SL English I & II courses, and took the CLEP and/or DSST exams or the Study.com courses for those instead and were much happier.

That's referring to the terrible grading experience with the non-teacher-led versions of SL English I & II. The teacher-led versions are fine; the only downside there is that the number of written assignments.
Working on: Debating whether I want to pursue a doctoral program or maybe another master's degree in 2022-23

Complete:
MBA (IT Management), 2019, Western Governors University
BSBA (Computer Information Systems), 2019, Thomas Edison State University
ASNSM (Computer Science), 2019, Thomas Edison State University

ScholarMatch College & Career Coach
WGU Ambassador
Does anybody know the assignments required for the WGU English classes?
Baker College BBA (Graduated May 2019)
SL Credits: 54
ALEKS Credits: 9

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Computer Science Degree Help Ad Nauseam 0 7 13 minutes ago
Last Post: Ad Nauseam
  WGU Education Degree Path Ad Nauseam 4 198 Yesterday, 04:44 AM
Last Post: Ad Nauseam
  Wanting a masters degree for IT from WGU benon 10 965 01-21-2024, 04:13 AM
Last Post: benon
  New transfer credit for Master degree - WGU Imbanewbie 16 2,250 01-20-2024, 04:24 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Masters in HR - anyone accelerate through this degree? Whitepines 4 529 01-05-2024, 08:43 PM
Last Post: Quackerz
  Can you pause your degree? Learnsomestuff 9 1,236 11-17-2023, 10:18 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  BSIT TO MSITM Program - Should I take required Certs before enrolling in degree? Brandon.Thomas.Downer 2 424 11-16-2023, 03:39 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  New degree in Supply Chain & Operations Management MNomadic 3 1,228 11-10-2023, 08:41 AM
Last Post: jsh1138
  Question about class line up for Software Engineering degree Omece 2 973 10-03-2023, 06:26 AM
Last Post: Omece
  Let's get WGU's CS degree for $5k nomaduser 6 1,517 03-11-2023, 03:19 PM
Last Post: nomaduser