Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My WGU BS in Accounting Journey!
dfrecore Wrote:So, not to belittle the other points you made, since I understand the reasons you had for doing this. Just kind of to point out to others who might see this in the future:

With the info you just gave on the humanities course, I'm thinking you might have been able to take an pass the Humanities CLEP. Instead of 5 days, it would have taken a couple of hours, ~$100, and you'd have gotten 6cr. That 5 days spent on Humanities (and I don't think you can move onto the next course immediately, so it could turn into 6..7..8 days before the next course is "unlocked" for you) could have been spent on a course that was more difficult to find for cheap, or pass quickly.

I get the whole WGU thing, especially if it's paid for by tuition reimbursement or GI Bills or Pell Grants. But, I still think it pays off financially to get some courses out of the way before you enroll. I personally would hate to spend 5+ days on Intro to Marketing or Intro to Management or whatever, just to find that I could have knocked it out for $25 through a Saylor exam.

I also agree with taking the hardest courses in your major through them. I'll be the accounting courses at WGU are much more thorough than SL, Study.com, or anything else you can find that's quick.

And, although WGU is less clear about what they accept, you CAN find that out ahead of time with some of the providers. Straighterline is a partner and is very clear about what you can take. CLEP and DSST is clear as well. There are more, but you just have to work with WGU to make sure what you take will cover the requirements.

Anyway, good luck to you, and for others who may not have some of the options you have, continue looking at ways to make WGU work for you in the least number of terms (1-2) so that you don't overpay for your degree by taking 3+ terms to finish.

Right, most of what you've said is spot on. In most peoples cases I concur that clepping would have been more advisable (especially if you are concerned with time > money). If you are paying for the courses out of pocket, I recommend to everyone looking into completing more courses before transferring in. I am not in a -major- rush to complete my degree, though I am trying to finish quicker than most.

Essentially, you could pay somewhere between 25-300 for a course using another method such as saylor/clep/SL and it would probably help you knock a few days of each course and finish faster. It is also financially advisable compared to a typical degree. However, If money is tighter -AND- you can receive a pell grant/GI Bill/Scholarships that you cant apply to exams, WGU might end up being cheaper, because I only paid around 275 dollars out of pocket for the whole term. If I finish 5 courses in 6 months that is only 55 dollars per course I am out. (It also seems highly possible to finish 2+ a month with the typical time investment of those here trying to complete their degrees faster)
Which is a rough median of the cost of exams. Not to mention the other cost usually associated with exams, study books/driving to testing center/course books which are included at wgu in the course.

A few things I would like to point out though about WGU that some reading don't know, that may affect clepping decision for "electives". You stated I would have received 6 credits from the humanities clep. Which in theory is better than 3 for the course I took, however at wgu those extra 3 are pretty much dead credits. Each degree plan has set electives for that degree. So for instance geology is not required for my degree, it is for business admin. Taking geology wouldn't get me any actual credits towards completion. Those extra 3 hours from the clep are also "useless" for me, since I only require 3 humanities credits, they don't help fill "an empty" elective spot like at most degree plans where you just -so many electives-.

Though finishing in 1 term for me is a bit of a stretch, finishing into my 2nd term is highly likely. Finishing in 9-12 months while only being out less than 600 dollars is pretty reasonable and comparable to testing out, then finishing in one term.

Edit:Also once you accepted, even before you are enrolled in your courses, you can see everything in the courses for your degree plan. You can view all the course material, take the pre-assessments, see what papers need to be turned in etc. So there really isn't a several day wait in between courses. I just officially enrolled in my courses today, however I have allready completed all my assignments for humanities, and I am just waiting on my webcam to take my exam. Since I am waiting, I have started going through all the modules for my science course, and I'm around 25% done. When I'm done studying I can just take the exam and finish. It is in theory possible to finish courses without doing any of the modules and skipping to exam if you are knowledgeable on the subject.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,556 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Article about DegreeForum journey smartdegree 11 1,285 02-19-2023, 05:32 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Need 12 Accounting Credits... TallC 6 1,216 08-17-2021, 01:40 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 7 2,213 06-09-2020, 08:56 PM
Last Post: tjguitar85
  Intermediate Accounting I and II self-paced options? RDUstudent 6 1,404 05-23-2020, 11:25 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Teach myself Accounting natshar 7 1,858 04-05-2020, 04:20 PM
Last Post: natshar
Question list of available accounting courses udi 7 1,859 01-07-2020, 04:18 PM
Last Post: Yanji
  New CSU Global SSAs in Accounting sanantone 15 3,119 11-01-2019, 09:31 PM
Last Post: tjguitar85
  Any "Start From Scratch" members willing to share their journey? Idreamofadegree 23 4,763 07-05-2019, 08:55 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Accounting courses ultimate goal cpa Motivated2move 16 2,773 06-24-2019, 07:10 PM
Last Post: davewill