Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Planning
Hi everyone,

I am looking for advice on picking a new school and degree program. I have taken the past year off and am eager to continue my pursuit of a bachelor's degree. In addition to the classes that I have already taken listed below, I have been working for a healthcare organization for the past twelve years doing data analytics. I am currently in a management position and have worked my way to this position from a data analyst myself. I am seeking a degree to further my career advancement as I can't progress any further without one.

I am looking to get through the remaining schooling needed as quickly and cheaply as possible while continuing to work full-time. I am hoping to find a program that will not only take the prior classes into consideration, but also the knowledge and experience I have gained working in data analytics over the last twelve years. It would be great if you can help me find programs that are less based on writing papers as well.

I appreciate any help or insight that you may have to offer regarding programs and schools. Thank you for your time.

Your Location: California, United States
Your Age: 40
What kind of degree do you want?: Data analytics, data science, healthcare informatics, or computer science (would prefer a program more analytics focused but would do cs as a "last resort"). 
Current Regional Accredited Credits: 80

Colorado State University Global:
Class: ORG300 - Applying Leadership Principles, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: ENG101 - Composition I, Credits: 3, Grade: A-
Class: ENG102 - Composition II, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: ENG130 - Introduction To Literature, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: MTH09 - Mathematic Explorations, Credits: 3, Grade: A-
Class: MTH166 - Pre-Calculus, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: MTH201 - Calculus I, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: HUM101 - Critical Reasoning, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: HST201 - US History I, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: HCM420 - Ethics And Decision-Making In Healthcare Management*, Credits: 4, Grade: A
Class: POL101 - Introduction To Political Science, Credits: 4, Grade: A
Class: BIO201 - Public Health And The Environment, Credits: 1, Grade: A
Class: GEO101C - Earth Science With Lab, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: CSC200 - Computer Science Fundamentals, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: CSC205 - Logic and Design, Credits: 1, Grade: A

Victor Valley College:
Class: Auto91A - Auto Body Repair I, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: Auto91B - Auto Body Repair II, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: Auto91L - Auto Body Lab, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: Cidg110 - 2-D Autocad, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: Cidg210 - Advanced 2-D Autocad, Credits: 3, Grade: A

San Bernardino Valley College:
Class: GIS039 - Global Positioning, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: GIS130 - GIS, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: GIS131 - GIS Applications, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: GIS133 - GIS Cartography, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: GIS135 - Spatial Analysis, Credits: 4, Grade: A
Class: GIS137 - Advanced GIS Applications, Credits: 3, Grade: A
Class: Soc100 - Intro To Sociology, Credits: 3, Grade: A

Any certifications or military experience? None
Budget: No real max budget, I'd like to go the cheapest route possible, but will consider spending more for easy and fast.  
Commitments: Honestly, just kids/spouse. I currently work full time and can work on my studies part time or in the evenings/weekends.
Dedicated time to study: I can study 2-3 hours daily on the weekdays and more as needed on the weekends.
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish within 1-1.5 years (12-18 months)
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: I am eligible for a set amount yearly for accredited universities through my work.
@ShoReb32, Welcome to the board, nice introduction and template, but you've missed the more important info in the addendum. Please update us with the info asked for in the addendum. Have you looked at the WIKI plans already available? Your best option is to apply, get the credits transferred and see what else is remaining. My suggestion is getting the BACS from TESU, and depending on the info in the addendum, you can do the BSBA CIS with that to make a dual degree...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(01-10-2024, 10:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @ShoReb32, Welcome to the board, nice introduction and template, but you've missed the more important info in the addendum.  Please update us with the info asked for in the addendum.  Have you looked at the WIKI plans already available? Your best option is to apply, get the credits transferred and see what else is remaining. My suggestion is getting the BACS from TESU, and depending on the info in the addendum, you can do the BSBA CIS with that to make a dual degree...

@bjcheung77, thanks for the reply. I have added the addendum information to my original post. I have also updated it to state that I would prefer to stay in the data analytics space more than computer science.
(01-10-2024, 10:32 PM)ShoReb32 Wrote:
(01-10-2024, 10:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @ShoReb32, Welcome to the board, nice introduction and template, but you've missed the more important info in the addendum.  Please update us with the info asked for in the addendum.  Have you looked at the WIKI plans already available? Your best option is to apply, get the credits transferred and see what else is remaining. My suggestion is getting the BACS from TESU, and depending on the info in the addendum, you can do the BSBA CIS with that to make a dual degree...

@bjcheung77, thanks for the reply. I have added the addendum information to my original post. I have also updated it to state that I would prefer to stay in the data analytics space more than computer science.

The TESU Computer Science degree is based on being 1/2 Computer Science, and 1/2 of it is IT.

Computer Science
Calculus (you already did)
Data Structures
Computer Architecture
Introduction to Programming (can be IT too)

IT related
Discrete Mathematics
Operating Systems
DB Management
Systems Analysis
Management of Info Systems
Software Engineering

With the free electives, you can customize the degree to be more related to data analytics by taking courses or obtaining certificates related to data analytics. Also, there is the option of going for a double degree in Business Administration, which may help since you are in management. 
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sa...egree_Plan

Other college options

WGU Data Management Degree Plan
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/WG...egree_Plan

If you look at it course by course, it's actually similar to TESU's CS program, with the only difference being mainly the uDacity Data Analytics Nano degree, which you can get without going to WGU. WGU doesn't take credits older than 5yrs, so it may not be a good fit considering your transfer credits.

PUG Analytics Degree Plan
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/PU...egree_Plan

In this program, you write a bunch of papers. 

SNHU Data Analytics degree plan
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/SN..._Analytics

The nice thing about this one is that once you do Google's Data Analytics cert, you are pretty much done and ready to enroll, considering you have GE done as well.

Each class is likely to have paper requirements; usually, a paper is due per class every Sunday. 

Other considerations

WGU has a master's in Data Analytics that could be completed in around 6 months
https://www.wgu.edu/online-it-degrees/da...ogram.html
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Oh Snap! That's a good write up by LevelUP!  My first recommendation is also the same thing, the BACS & BSBA CIS double degree from TESU, this will get you the degrees and you'll be well versed in Business as well as CS/IT.  I also recommend the trifecta of certs, degree, experience, and a mix/match of the three to a balance you would decide or want, and then finish with WGU MS Data Analytics.

Having said that, there are so many various ways to have an end goal, it may be this alternative option to max the ROI/Value and have it cheaper, easier, faster, with a focus again on certs, degree, experience mix/match.  My suggestion is very similar to post #4... For the last few people today that asked about UMPI, I've been pointing them to this thread and getting them to do the addendum, spreadsheet, etc. Link: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ing-degree

If my guess is correct, you don't have an associates yet, you can get two on route to the Bachelors, the Pierpont BOG AAS with Info System, UMPI AALS using your current credits and the residency credits for the Bachelors, UMPI BAS with a minor or two of your choice, plus 3-4 classes that go towards the MAOL if you go that route instead of WGU MS Data Analytics, round that out with cheapies/freebies Coursera certs that provide ACE credit towards the Bachelors, and also certs including the EdX HarvardX Professional Cert in Data Science (9 classes).  Tada, that's it, voila!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 165 Yesterday, 10:04 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 144 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,751 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 208 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,560 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 216 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 628 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,132 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 256 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,213 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK