Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My former college shut down! Yay!
It wasn't a college I attended; it was the nationally accredited, for-profit college I worked at for a year. I posted on this forum about how this college overcharged for certificate and degree programs that lead to low-paying jobs. Their only decent programs were LVN and RN. The criminal justice program I taught in was under scrutiny because most of the graduates were getting low-paying jobs that required no more than a high school diploma or GED. My biggest issue was the school's recruiting practices. I later found out that the admissions reps had lied to my students telling them things such as they'll be able to get a job as a police officer without having to go through the academy or that the San Antonio Police Department will pay them more for having a degree (this is only true if the degree is from an RA school).

Anyway, I found out the school shut down last year. The accounting and finance offices were mishandling financial aid funds. To be fair, once the owners found out, they self-reported to the U.S. Department of Education and offered to repay what was owed. Unfortunately for them, the government has been really cracking down on for-profit colleges. In the past, schools like University of Phoenix just got slaps on the wrist for mishandling financial aid. The school I worked for was disqualified from receiving financial aid, so they had to shut down. I'd like to say I feel bad for the students, but I don't. Similar to the ITT Tech situation, colleges that normally wouldn't take their credits are stepping in to help. When I worked there, an associate's degree cost $28,000. The Alamo Community Colleges offer the same associate's degrees for about $4,000. You'd be amazed at how many students didn't compare costs.

This college also violated state law by not giving formal notification of its closure ahead of time. They knew for months that they were in trouble, but only sent out a notice to students and the State of Texas the day they closed their doors. Students and employees showed up to school and work to see a sign on the door saying that the school was permanently closed.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
[-] The following 1 user Likes sanantone's post:
  • burbuja0512
sanantone Wrote:When I worked there, an associate's degree cost $28,000.

Wow, there's a lot of ways to waste $28k, but blowing it on an associates ranks really high among the most useless ways to waste it.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
And, certificate programs cost $19,000.

I'm reading more, and it gets worse. Some students were being charged for courses they didn't take. One student said she got an alert from her private lender that an excess of $4,000 was withdrawn by the school. There are even stories of students being charged for meetings with the financial aid office.

I already knew that the school was charging students $1,000 for $500 laptops. I thought those computers would at least come with unlimited technical support, but they didn't. Tech support was only free for six months. After that, the students had to pay. And, guess what. A lot of the employees in the tech support were former students. I hated calling in their IT department to fix something on my computer because I knew more than they did. I just couldn't access certain things because only the IT department had administrator permissions.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
Those prices are insane.
The ONLY way I'm spending 28k on an associate's degree is if it is an AS in fighter jet flying WITH a significant lab component. And when I say lab component I mean piloting in the air lol.
MSN - Complete
BSN - Complete
ASN - Complete
MA - Complete
BA - Complete
AA - Complete
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hunter91's post:
  • Life Long Learning
It's just sad that students are duped into these programs, and don't do the research necessary before taking out loans (because you KNOW they don't have $28k lying around to pay for this crap).
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
$28k for an associates!!! That's so sad and predatory. I hope the students can get some type of remeimbursment.
Seton Hall University - MA HRTD
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA GM in progress
Thomas Edison State College - BA CJ
Thomas Edison State College - AAS ESST
Middlesex County College - AS CJ

NJ PTC
New Jersey Regional Community Police Institute
Methods of Instruction

TEEX
Cyber Security for Everyone
Cyber Security for IT Professionals
Cyber Security for Business Professionals

Sophia
Accounting
jawbreakingrr Wrote:$28k for an associates!!! That's so sad and predatory. I hope the students can get some type of remeimbursment.

If you're that dumb to spend 28k on an associates degree then I hope there aren't any refunds. Because we'd be rewarding stupidity.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
jawbreakingrr Wrote:$28k for an associates!!! That's so sad and predatory. I hope the students can get some type of remeimbursment.

No reimbursement, but student loan forgiveness for some:

A closed school discharge normally only applies to students who withdrew (without completing their program) within 120 days of the school’s closing date, or were attending when the school closed.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
videogamesrock Wrote:If you're that dumb to spend 28k on an associates degree then I hope there aren't any refunds. Because we'd be rewarding stupidity.

Some people don't know better and some people are dumb. It doesn't mean predatory behavior from Institutions like this shouldn't be addressed.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,309 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 689 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 912 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,487 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 526 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 891 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 11,793 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 710 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  Price of Nickel Rose 500% In a Matter of Days, Markets Collapse, Trading Shut Down LevelUP 0 465 03-14-2022, 10:39 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,096 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az