Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My former college shut down! Yay!
The schools are working with the rules the government has laid out for them. They are just taking advantage of opportunity and people's ignorance.
MA in progress
Certificate in the Study of Capitalism - University of Arkansas
BS, Business  Administration - Ashworth College
Certificates in Accounting & Finance 
BA, Regents Bachelor of Arts - West Virginia University
AAS & AGS
Seeing as how they shut down due to consequences of mishandling financial aid funds, they were pretty clearly not working with the rules the government has laid out for them.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • miah
jsd Wrote:Seeing as how they shut down due to consequences of mishandling financial aid funds, they were pretty clearly not working with the rules the government has laid out for them.
It's the rules of the game. I'm sure their mistake was issuing more aid than students had available. My CC did that too. Rather than paying it back it's easier to keep the money and file for bankruptcy.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
And we're pretending this isn't predatory?

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

jsd Wrote:And we're pretending this isn't predatory?

I guess anyone selling anything would be someone preying on another person. For 28k net personally would not have put my money into school.

A Realtor tried to really sell me a crap house once for an outrageous price. I said no. A car salesman tried to sell an over priced car. I said no. I went to a pyramid scam meeting. They wanted $1500 I said no.

It's not up to the sales person/predator to say no it falls on the person to say yes or no. I'm also a strong believe in self responsibility and reading what you sign. The students were lazy, didn't read, and didn't price shop. Not the sales persons/predators fault.

Same with over leveraged mortgages from 2005-2012. Not the salesman/predators fault because the borrower said yes.

You are 100% responsible for yourself and your actions including borrowing $28k for an associates degree.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
jsd Wrote:And we're pretending this isn't predatory?

I'm not. I think it's a combination - there are predatory schools out there, and uninformed people who fall for the scam. It's unfortunate. If everyone who couldn't afford $28k for an AA said no, the predators would disappear.

But, seriously, there are people who still fall for the Nigerian prince wanting to give them money scam - what can you do about stupid people??? Sometimes, people are just BEGGING to be taken to the cleaners, and there are always people willing to do so.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
videogamesrock Wrote:I guess anyone selling anything would be someone preying on another person. For 28k net personally would not have put my money into school.

A Realtor tried to really sell me a crap house once for an outrageous price. I said no. A car salesman tried to sell an over priced car. I said no. I went to a pyramid scam meeting. They wanted $1500 I said no.

It's not up to the sales person/predator to say no it falls on the person to say yes or no. I'm also a strong believe in self responsibility and reading what you sign. The students were lazy, didn't read, and didn't price shop. Not the sales persons/predators fault.

Same with over leveraged mortgages from 2005-2012. Not the salesman/predators fault because the borrower said yes.

You are 100% responsible for yourself and your actions including borrowing $28k for an associates degree.

Institutions can do no wrong, even when violating the law. Got it.

Georgia Tech

BA Psychology, 2016

BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • miah
Yes the institution gave too much of taxpayers money. In the end it's the students fault and should say no. A fool and his money are soon parted. These fools were the losers in a financial game. I've never met a poor person who continuously make great financial decisions day in and day out.
MA in progress
AAS & AGS
It's a combination of people being stupid and the school being predatory. Overcharging students for loans they have to pay back is predatory. The owners claimed to not have known this was happening, but the three employees who were doing this fully knew what they were doing. Students weren't only overcharged for government loans; people with private loans were also overcharged. Regardless, this is money students have to pay back.

A lot of the students weren't very well-educated and knew no one who had attended college. A lot of them didn't even have access to the Internet before they attended the school unless they decided to go to a library. A lot of them could barely operate a computer. I'm 100% sure that several of my students had learning disabilities. There was also a disabled vet in a wheelchair who was told that he could become a criminal investigator.

Before I left, I told all my students where they could transfer. Even from the beginning, I had to explain to them the limitations of national accreditation, and I know informed them that CCs were much cheaper. A couple of them attended a CC, but couldn't pass English Comp or College Algebra. I'm fine with vocational programs for those who can't pass gen Ed courses, but CJ is not a vocational program. It's practically a social science. You're not going to pass the written tests for police departments and Child Protective Services if you can't read, write, or do basic math.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I think some of ya'll are being harsh. 18 year olds don't always have the moral support of family, community, high school, or friends, that could help them navigate and understand the academic world. So its very quite possible to be "taken" while still naive and impressionable to want to "do good".
[-] The following 1 user Likes jadae@wgu.edu's post:
  • Muldoon

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,315 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 690 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 917 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,498 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 529 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 892 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 11,814 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 714 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  Price of Nickel Rose 500% In a Matter of Days, Markets Collapse, Trading Shut Down LevelUP 0 466 03-14-2022, 10:39 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,098 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az