Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My former college shut down! Yay!
I agree with you that 18 year olds are naive and impressionable, but I think that's an issue with our culture. You don't go out and buy a house or a sports car once you turn 18 (you're naive and impressionable)... you think about it and you save up for it. Yet today kids just run out into college... As a young man myself, I took a "gap year" to figure out what I wanted to do. I found degreeforum Wink
Joeman200 Wrote:I took a "gap year" to figure out what I wanted to do. I found degreeforum Wink

I took like 10.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
BIG Price Tags Means BIG Rewards/Worth right!! Today the kids think the more expensive something is the more valuable it is. So a 28k Associates or a 4k Associates. The kids are saying well the 28k HAS got to be much better then the 4k. That is where these For Profits are getting kids to enroll and get this large amount of debt. They think the more they spend on education the better it is.
Thomas Edison State University - BSBA: Accounting - September 2017

B&M: Stats, Business Law I, Microeconomics, Business Comm, Computer Concepts and Apps, Financial Accounting, Intermediate Accounting II, Managerial Accounting, Not-for-Profit Accounting
CLEP: Sociology, Psychology, Marketing, College Comp Modular, Human Growth and Development
Institutes: Ethics 312
Aleks: Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, PreCalculus
Shmoop: U.S. History I, U.S. History II, Modern European History
Study.com: Principles of Finance, Advanced Accounting I, Applied Managerial Accounting, American Government, Macroeconomics, Principles of Management, Globalization and International Management, English Composition II, Intro to Computing, Public Speaking, Info Systems and Comp Apps
SL: Intermediate Accounting I, Introduction to Religon, Cost Accounting, Western Civilization I/II
TECEP: Strategic Management, Federal Income Tax
Synicaal Wrote:BIG Price Tags Means BIG Rewards/Worth right!! Today the kids think the more expensive something is the more valuable it is. So a 28k Associates or a 4k Associates. The kids are saying well the 28k HAS got to be much better then the 4k. That is where these For Profits are getting kids to enroll and get this large amount of debt. They think the more they spend on education the better it is.

Its sad but true for alot of folks ! I second Joeman's post. I live in a rural area where the closest town is a college town. A lot of the kids there are neck deep in debt which I did not understand until I set out to get a degree so I could teach and WOW!!!! I thought to myself "I am not about to get over my head in debt and four years down the road and maybe with a piece of paper. The problem comes when I try to tell these kids about alternative credit route and most of them look at me as if I am cheating the system!
CLEP:College Comp. w/essay, A & I Lit. w/essay, College Algebra, US History 1 & 2, Biology, Human Growth & Development   DSST: Foundations of Edu.  TEEX: Cyber Security 101 & 301 Sophia: Developing Effective Teams The Institutes: Ethics & CPCU Prof. Code.

Straighterline: Intro to Religion, Intro to Com., Western Civ. 1& 2, American Gov, PreCalculus, Intro to Bio Lab

Study.com: Personal Finance, Edu. Psychology, Classroom Management, Special Edu. History & Law, Geology, Civil War & Reconstruction, History of the Vietnam War

2018 WGU BA Mathematics Education (5-9 licensure)

Current Work: VIPKID ESL Teacher and Substitute Teacher

Synicaal Wrote:BIG Price Tags Means BIG Rewards/Worth right!! Today the kids think the more expensive something is the more valuable it is. So a 28k Associates or a 4k Associates. The kids are saying well the 28k HAS got to be much better then the 4k. That is where these For Profits are getting kids to enroll and get this large amount of debt. They think the more they spend on education the better it is.
Maybe I'm too cynical, but which day (as opposed to today) did kids (legal adults in this context) ever not think that "more expensive something is the more valuable it is"?? BTW, the overwhelming demographic of for-profit enrollments are not 18-23 "kids", but straight up adults; often parents.
Outis Wrote:Maybe I'm too cynical, but which day (as opposed to today) did kids (legal adults in this context) ever not think that "more expensive something is the more valuable it is"?? BTW, the overwhelming demographic of for-profit enrollments are not 18-23 "kids", but straight up adults; often parents.

This is true. For-profit college students do tend to be older. Most of my CJ students were under 24, but the average age at our school was 28. The for-profit, vo-tech schools play commercials targeting single mothers and out-of-work men. In the overpriced medical assistant programs, you'll see a lot of women in their mid-twenties to early thirties.

At the for-profits that offer 4-year and masters degrees, they target working adults. Even though there are hundreds or even thousands of state schools offering online programs, a lot of adults are still under the impression that for-profits are the only option for online programs because they advertise the most.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
A few big price tags are worth it, but they are not very common. The big price tags that are worth it are usually 1 of 3 things. 1. They come with very strong relationships to large businesses. 2. They have state-of-the-art science/tech research, or 3. Name value. This is more in line with legal and the like, for hiring hierarchy.

Anything less isn't worth the high price tag. I may have missed a tangent in there, but that's the general idea (that a big price tag should come with a big pay off -- not an implied one, which has become common practice).
(03-23-2017, 12:15 AM)jadae@wgu.edu Wrote: I think some of ya'll are being harsh. 18 year olds don't always have the moral support of family, community, high school, or friends, that could help them navigate and understand the academic world. So its very quite possible to be "taken" while still naive and impressionable to want to "do good".

I agree! Can we say FIRST GENERATION college students. 

PLUS.... These were people TRYING to BETTER themselves and their families! 

How can you blame people who don't know what their options are? 

How can you blame people that were LIED to by the admission staff? 

The college was being PREDATORY!

(03-24-2017, 11:24 AM)Outis Wrote:
Maybe I'm too cynical, but which day (as opposed to today) did kids (legal adults in this context) ever not think that "more expensive something is the more valuable it is"?? BTW, the overwhelming demographic of for-profit enrollments are not 18-23 "kids", but straight up adults; often parents.

Can we say FIRST GENERATION college students. 

PLUS.... These were people TRYING to BETTER themselves and their families! 

How can you blame people who don't know what their options are? 

How can you blame people that were LIED to by the admission staff? 

The college was being PREDATORY!
It's true that people should educate themselves, but it's also true that we don't know what we don't know and we may not even realize we need to LOOK for the answer to certain questions until after the fact. I attended a nationally accredited school. Knowing what I know now, that probably wouldn't have been my first choice, but I didn't realize national and regional accreditation were two different things. The DOE treats them the same, so it never even occurred to me the national accreditation organization wasn't just another "region" designed for online institutions which, by nature, operate outside of geographic boundaries. I don't consider myself stupid or (in general) naive; I just didn't know enough about this to even know I needed more information.

(Costs are a whole different ballgame, unless a lot of the expense is being hidden somehow. Tuition and fees can be compared, and anyone with basic consumer awareness should be able to figure that out.)
-Rachel

BS in Interdiscipl. Studies (Health Sci. + Beh. Sci. [Coaching] + Business) at Liberty U

Liberty U: 36 cred finished

LU ICE exam:
4 cred
Christopher Newport U:
2 cred
Amer. Coll. of Healthcare Sciences: 52 cred (+14 non-transferable)
Study.com: Pers Fin, Amer Gov
Shmoop: Bible as Lit, Lit in Media
SL: Bus. Ethics, IT Fundamentals, Intro to Religion, Intro to Comm, Intro to Sociology, Surv of World History, Engl Comp I&II

TECEP: Intro to Critical Reasoning (didn't transfer)
ALEKS: Intro Stats
Glad to see a trend that these predatory places are getting shut down. It is terrible to see some programs and you know that they the people in them are not only wasting time but getting saddled with loans that cannot be defaulted. Just terrible. That's why I love this forum of people helping people navigate the murky waters of higher ed.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cardiacclep's post:
  • jsd

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the difference between College and University (USA) Personherebb9 8 1,285 12-29-2022, 05:39 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  College of Golf Alpha 5 676 09-11-2022, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  Richest US College Alpha 6 897 09-09-2022, 04:31 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  What does college look like in 10...20 years? cardiacclep 10 1,452 08-25-2022, 04:48 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  College of Winterhold Alpha 1 516 07-28-2022, 12:32 PM
Last Post: ROYISAGIRL
  College grad paralyzed after chiropractor visit bjcheung77 5 876 07-16-2022, 05:14 AM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  Bullying in College , What do I do next? 2L8 15 11,740 06-03-2022, 06:27 AM
Last Post: stephaniesmith44
  Has anyone taken a math course at community college? picgirl27 2 696 04-03-2022, 09:54 AM
Last Post: picgirl27
  Price of Nickel Rose 500% In a Matter of Days, Markets Collapse, Trading Shut Down LevelUP 0 460 03-14-2022, 10:39 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  What Is College Worth in The Media Industry? Kal Di 6 1,079 02-28-2022, 06:48 AM
Last Post: rachel83az