Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My journey to my TESU BSBA degree
Hey I was asked to write my journey here long time ago but decided to chill for a couple of months lol. hopefully this thread will help people who are about to start their journey as well.

What started my journey?
Funny enough the journey that started this was a reddit thread about completing certifications online. I was reading the thread and i stumbled on something about FEMA courses for college credits. As I continued on the search seeking more information, i found this forum site. 

What keeps me motivated?
What really pushed me and kept me going was how I felt at work sometimes, being looked down on because of not having a degree.  As well as unable to progress much further in life without a degree. Really depressing when you are doing the same job as someone else with a degree but getting paid much less. But in the end what really mattered is the people on this forum, people helping each other and seeing their struggles  as well and what they've accomplished. You cannot really wait for motivation to come to you.. you just have to do it.

When I first joined this forum everything was confusing and I didn't know which school to pick or how to even start. Looking back was still confusing to me lol. But thanks to some members here that took their own personal time and effort to create a spreadsheet of what classes you need to take and where I was able to get started. I picked TESU because of their name and available information from members here. I then wrote down on piece of paper "I will complete this degree" 

I followed bjcheung77 spreadsheet and started doing the courses. I started off sprinting and studying about 12 hrs a day and some days 16 hours+ .. as many hours I can squeeze in. I started off with the easiest courses and work my courage up to the harder ones. I realized now that this was a mistake. I should of paced myself between courses and rest. Because I ended up being slowed from fatigue. As well as doing the easiest courses first made me complete a ton of harder ones towards the end which drained me more. I think finding the right balance between time per course and easy/hard courses is very important.

Every course completed I would update the spreadsheet this kept me going like a quest to collect all 120! When I finished my last Study.com course I was a bit afraid to jump straight in to the capstone so i was giving myself excuses to try and hold off for a month. Luckily the people on this forum convinced me otherwise and encouraged me to tackle my fears and just complete the capstone. The capstone at TESU i must say was one of the most fulfilling courses i've taken and i've learned alot.

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...one-Review < my capstone review thread

Thanks! my journey thread isnt that interesting but hopefully another one of these posts can motivate the people sitting on the sidelines to start! The feeling you get when you finally get your degree is amazing. I hope to get my masters at WGU soon after i secure some funds. During this time I'm also taking other certificate courses as well to keep myself in that learning mood. 

thanks for reading
My Plan: Earn a MSML or a MBA at WGU!
[-] The following 7 users Like BearEDU's post:
  • ajs1976a, Ideas, Joeman200, Muldoon, quigongene, Sapientes, slmartin
That's how any of us do it. We just decide to do it and not take no for an answer anymore.

[Image: tenor.gif?itemid=4115559]

That's the way to go!!!!!!!!
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • BearEDU, Sapientes
lol thanks! yea i realized just to force yourself to start and do the courses then later on you will develop the habit. you cant really wait for motivation to come to start that will come later.
(03-23-2018, 04:44 PM)BearEDU Wrote: I started off sprinting and studying about 12 hrs a day and some days 16 hours+ .. as many hours I can squeeze in. I started off with the easiest courses and work my courage up to the harder ones. I realized now that this was a mistake. I should of paced myself between courses and rest. Because I ended up being slowed from fatigue. As well as doing the easiest courses first made me complete a ton of harder ones towards the end which drained me more. I think finding the right balance between time per course and easy/hard courses is very important.

I agree. One of my biggest mistakes was leaving 2 UL TECEPs until the end. Finance ones. (I guess I find Finance harder than most other business subjects, or subjects in general.)

Personally, I think it's easy to be motivated for the first weeks or months. But a student should have some ideas on how to get themselves motivated again when that newness wears off.

I am a procrastinator, and leaving the hardest courses until the end was a huge mistake for me. Every time, the course turns out to be not as hard as I thought it was (or even if it was hard, I still got through it just fine).

Congrats on getting through it all though!
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • BearEDU, Sapientes
Congratulations!
TESU - BSBA: CIS - Dec '17

TECEP Eng Comp I, Marriage and Family, Strategic Management, Networking, Computer Concepts, Liberal Math, Tech Writing, Managerial Accounting DSST MIS, Cybersecurity Study.com Macroeconomics COSC Cornerstone, Software Engineering Straighterline Business Ethics

Next:
  Related classes at local CC and various Cybersecurity certifications.

Old username:  ajs1976
(03-23-2018, 10:22 PM)dfrecore Wrote: I am a procrastinator, and leaving the hardest courses until the end was a huge mistake for me.  Every time, the course turns out to be not as hard as I thought it was (or even if it was hard, I still got through it just fine).

Congrats on getting through it all though!

lol congrats as well!

(03-24-2018, 09:28 AM)ajs1976a Wrote: Congratulations!

Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 3,923 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 3,616 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,153 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,021 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 3,580 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 2,668 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,291 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,547 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,282 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,320 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic