Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My oldest son getting ready to graduate high school!!!
Oh gosh, where do I start? My oldest is in his senior year. We started homeschooling for preschool as an experiment and never stopped. So, we are counting down the days. I've had lots of emails from this board asking what curriculum we used, or what our schedule looks like, etc. And frankly, I don't have the memory or stamina to type it all out right now. Just know that it's been all over the place and with 4 children, we've done the same thing 12 different ways. So, I'm probably not the best one to give advice in that department. I guess I will say that after all the years, all the hours, it really isn't about the brand of curriculum. It's more about how you do things, what you expect out of your kids, and what your school looks like in your home. How I define education and what my ideas are are not necessarily better for anyone else, but they work for us and that's that.

I know people want to know what credit he has! Well, I think he's going to hit 39 by graduation, and the current plan is to enroll at TESC for an AA before applying to the local university where his dad teaches. They have an accelerated BA in Management for AA degree holders, it's a block transfer, so none of his credits are evaluated individually. (how sweet it is- their CLEP policy is lame, plus they only take 56+ scores) It's going to cost me about 5 grand from TESC, however, he'll attend my hubby's university for free, so who am I to complain?

Here are the high school courses he completed that yielded him college credit (I'll leave off the regular non-college credit courses):

10th grade
Intermediate Algebra, 3, ALEKS
Medical Terminology, 3, Straighterline

11th grade
College Algebra, 3, ALEKS
Emergency Management, 9, FEMA

12th grade
English 101, 3, local community college
Pre-calc, 3, ALKES
Statistics, 3, ALEKS -finished TODAY-

----everything above this line is finished (27 cr), everything below is in progress or planned over the remaining 4 1/2 months ----

(in progress)
Analyzing and Interpreting Lit, 6, CLEP
English/Brit Lit --> in class now, potential for 6 CLEP, but still undecided
English 102, 3 local community college
I also have 1 empty slot now that he's finished stats, so I'll give that some thought this week. Maybe a SL course?
Awesome story. Congrats to him.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Be proud! Be very proud!
Texas A&M - Commerce - BAAS summer 2023
California Coast University - BSBA 2008

Awesome! Congrats to him on the pending graduation....and you know how highly we think of his Mom!

Best,
Reb
MBA, Western Governors University February 2014
BS Charter Oak State College November 2011
AS in EMS August 2010

I'm always happy to complete the free application waiver for those applying to WGU (I get a free gift from WGU for this).  Just PM me your first/last name and a valid email so I can complete their form.

Thread; COSC AS using FEMA http://www.degreeforum.net/excelsior-tho...total.html
Congratulations to both of you. The time, commitment, sanity, etc. that was required for this is mind-boggling. Pre-K through 12th grade, times four. Just thinking about it tires me out.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
Congrats to you and your son!! That's awesome! Smile
CLEP:
West. Civ I - 65, A&I Lit - 66, Biology - 65, Chemistry - 55, Nat. Sciences - 64, US Hist I - 68, Am. Lit - 61, US Hist II - 62, Am. Gov. - 67, Macroecon. - 63, Microecon. - 75, College Comp. - 66, Prin. of Marketing - 68, Prin. of Mngt - 71

DSST:
Civil War and Reconst. - 70, Prin. of Supervision - 443, Intro to World Rel - 477, Intro to Bus - 443, HR Mgmt - 64, Intro to Computing - 458, Prin. of Fin. Acct - 80Big Grin, Bus Ethics & Society - 447, Prin. of Finance - 437

ALEKS:
Int. Algebra, College Algebra, Precalc, Intro to Stats., Business Stats.

SAYLOR:
Corp. Comm - 78%, Bus Law and Ethics - 76%

PENN FOSTER:
Manag. Acct. - 96, Int. Acct. 1 - 98, Int. Acct. 2 - 87, Cost Acct. - 94, Strategic Bus. Mngt. - 95

ADAMS STATE:
Auditing - 89

LSU:
Adv. Acct. - B

TECEP:
Fed Income Taxation

BSBA Accounting
Thanks everyone, it's been so different than I imagined it would be when I was a mommy to 1 little man. I had no idea. Smile
A wonderful thread indeed! Smile
BA Liberal Arts in 2014 from Excelsior College. (Took 25 tests)
Certificate in Writing in 2018 from University of Washington.
Current: MA in Humanities from American Public University.
Have 180 hour TEFL/TESOL Advanced Cert from TEFL HERO.
Member of World Genius Directory. IQ 148 SD 15/IQ 151 SD 16.
Congrats to you! You're almost finished!
I'll update and say that he graduated with 33 credits and we didn't enroll at TESC, because he's changed his mind about things a few times. We are still looking at Johnson & Wales University but it won't be for fall start since he didn't get the SAT/ACT tests completed and they are required <surprise>. This mommy would still like to see him rock out an AA in the time between now and Christmas, but he's not real excited about that idea.

You can lead a kid to CLEP, but you can't make him test. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Nicaragua seizes all assets from INCAE Business School elcastor21 0 297 09-26-2023, 04:55 PM
Last Post: elcastor21
  Found: $1,500 (TOTAL) At-own-pace Law School dcan 48 9,079 08-28-2023, 10:34 PM
Last Post: resistk
Question Poll: Just not sure what to major in for grad school and which direction to go! Randyb100 21 1,525 05-26-2023, 03:26 AM
Last Post: Randyb100
  How should I structure my CV as a UMPI Graduate? atmoex 8 1,029 02-12-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: tsgreer
  Can I get a High School Diploma after getting my GED and Associates? IReallyNeedADegree 24 2,587 02-06-2023, 07:13 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Program to educate incarcerated people costs 40K per graduate?! studyingfortests 25 1,741 05-11-2022, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Gas Prices Hit Record High Averaging Over $5 a Gallon in California LevelUP 8 917 03-07-2022, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Blkqueen8
  School Psychologists?? Vle045 3 909 01-21-2022, 03:22 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  U of Michigan removes School President bjcheung77 0 557 01-15-2022, 09:51 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Gen Z Is Coming to Your Office. Get Ready to Adapt. allvia 4 1,852 10-29-2021, 03:20 PM
Last Post: jamshid666