Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My plan workable?
Status:I am currently considering to enroll in as a student of Houston community college with 18 credits by examination(which after sending them the score I am qualify for).I am current at a crossroad of a sort. I wish to finish college as soon as possible and go straight to the work force and start my career. I have no desire to dilly dawdle in school for 3-4years or so to get the associative and than switch schools and than spent 2 more years to get rest of the credits necessary to finish college.. I wish to enroll in COSC using my 18 qualifying credits(base on COSC qualifying score) and also using CLEP and GRE exams to finish as many courses as possible to get a bachelor of science in mathematics in 1-1.5year time if possible while at the same time being free to pursue my career currently in computer programming

Questions I have
Is there any total upper limit to the amounts of credits that can be gain using credit by examination for COSC?

Could I take the exams(gre and clep) at the spring of 2012 and than enroll on the summer of 2012 to COSC and than using the scores I hopefully gain from the clep and also gre exams to gain 90(30 clep exam)+18(Gre exam Mathematics=24-6(Cal-BC Ap))+12 credits from math elective 3 Upper course and clep the final lower course+3 credit(all student require class)=90+18+12+3=123 credits?

Is there a exam that replace MAT 499 Capstone and/or 2 upper mathematics courses?(still need 2 upper 1 low and MAT 499 Capstone to finish after Gre ?
(If not that I'll have to take 3 upper level math credits courses online for COTS)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
So my plan is to take 35 clep(20 liberal arts class req,5 extra just in case .also remember to find an extra lower math course..) test and the gre between now and May of next year. I will be taking the math Gre in April of 2012. After getting my test scores back I will be using the credit by exam scores I got from my 2010 ap test to hopefully qualify for the COSC.Than I will sent in most of the scores from my numerous exams and in the summer of 2012 to COSC and finally finish the requirement for BOS of Mathematics with 4 more require classes from COSC. The MAT 499 Capstone and two Upper mathematics courses that I couldn't find a test equivalent of on there test sheet, and finally that one class all people entering COSC have to take it.
I'm open to any critiquing of my plans and thank you.

Edit-Just got the results for 2 clep exams and I now qualify to have 24 credits by exam at my community college.(Also qualify base on COSC exam credit requirement)(24 is the max I can get at the community college by exams).
FYI-I am 18 years old that stay at home most of time,Also have about $10000 from working at a part time job last year.So unlike other people here I could spent more time studying and am more free to do things at a much quicker pace. I had study for 3 of the exams for ap 2 week prior to taking it. lit(4),macroeconomic(3),stat(5) without taking the course.Just saying its not impossible or fool hardy like I presume you would think it is.
At COSC you can test out of all but the cornerstone and capstone courses. It sounds like you have a great plan...go for it!
FYI TESC has a decent BS in Business Administration, Computer Info Systems concentration, that can look good on your resume... It's what I'm going for as a programmer, and ryoder (programmer) just finished his in 6 months and is in an MBA/Computer Science program right now while also working on a second bachelor's at the same time. Geezer's son did it as well, and another did Computer Science at TESC but it took a lot more effort.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
dew125-Thanks, I'll continue then with my plan since there is no limit to the amount credit you could gain from credit by exams at COSC.
dcan-I'll take a look at it thanks for the info
Hi!

I will be very interested in following your progress, since I have strongly considered this degree myself.

I am not sure that I understand your plan entirely. The Math GRE is 24 credits including 9 UL credits. I think they only require a total of 120 credits. It already says Calculus with Elementary Functions will duplicate the Math GRE credit, so make sure to ask about your AP exam.

Some things I have wondered:

Do Differential Equations and Linear Algebra duplicate the GRE?

Would the Differential Equations exam through Ohio U be considered UL by COSC and accepted toward the major? It is about $300 for 4 quarter-hour credits. How do they handle quarter hours vs. semester hours? If it is only 2.66 semester hours, then what happens?

Ohio U also has a lower-level Linear Algebra exam, but the BYU distance course in Linear Algebra could be upper-level.

Also, LSU has a distance course that could be upper-level in Probability and calculus III is the prerequisite.

Welcome to the forum and please keep us updated.
AS in 2010 and BS in 2013 at Excelsior College - Transcripts and Costs
MS Biostatistics in 2019 at Texas A&M University - Graduate School

Sharing Credit-by-Exam*
Resources Used - 20+ Exams Passed & General GRE
Practice Tests - Available for CLEP and DSST

* Link posted with permission from forum admin; thank you!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with figuring out TESU History Degree plan AJay5595 10 3,275 09-06-2018, 10:56 AM
Last Post: BAngieB
  My Technical Studies Degree Plan SRES 17 4,780 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BSBA in Finance Degree Plan from TESU UnbreakablyDetermined 2 2,753 08-30-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: Luiscastaneda25
  COSC 2nd Degree Plan mb232627 5 2,305 08-24-2018, 12:55 AM
Last Post: mb232627
  TESU math degree plan. Am I doing this right? jakepg 9 2,656 08-23-2018, 09:20 PM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
Exclamation 2018/2019 Updated Associates Degree Plan Options?! Mikele8 10 2,896 08-23-2018, 09:47 AM
  TESU BA in History Plan - Critiques? mysonx3 4 2,127 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM
  New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA ckndinner 3 1,674 08-12-2018, 09:11 PM
Last Post: prolific_change
  New Member need assistance with TESU degree plan BA in Lib Studies PBenitez 14 3,451 08-11-2018, 02:21 PM
  New Member - Need Assistance With TESU Psychology Plan joshyjosh 7 2,192 08-05-2018, 10:01 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77