Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My sister wants an ITish degree
My sister knew that I was doing the TESU BA/BSBA, and now she wants to see if she can try to get some degree in IT.

She is already a Chemical Engineer, but she doesn´t know anything about programming, CIS, IT, etc. She studied 20 years go.

I tried to told her about doing a Master instead of a bachelor, since her case is different than mine (where I need the specific bachelors in order to qualify for open teaching positions), she doesn´t plan to apply to a different company, she just want to be able to get different roles inside the company where has been working for more than 5 years.

She could spend around 10 thousand dollars.

The problem is that she didn´t like the word "Global", since according to her, it sounded too "internet".

So PUG was out.

Maybe the other option could be the BS CIS in CUNY, however, that could be a bit longer and much more expensive.

I think that one that maybe could work, is the UMPI BLS with minor in MIS, since the name of that university is great. I know it doesn´t sound like a very important issue, but here it is.

She doesn´t want to go that heavy into programming, since she is at 0 right now.

Any other suggestion?

Thanks for your help.
What about the WGU MBA in IT Management? She can learn programming on her own for free or close to it. She could also get some certs. I don't see how a BLS will help her with anything.
Thanks for your suggestion, but we are not from the US.
Might want to look at Project Management too, depends what she wants to do though...

Some other options:
Emporia State University: $12K (IS Concentration)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University: $12K
Amberton: $10K
Wrexham Glyndwr University: £6K
This one looks reasonably priced:

https://online.emporia.edu/programs/msit.aspx

I´ll mention it to her.

Thanks.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MrPanda's post:
  • FastTrackDegree
Why not the TESU BSBA CIS? I'm confused on that point. Unlike the BACS, there isn't a lot of programming.

Or she could do the Finnish Metropolia IT degree. It would cost slightly more than 10000€. The first 3/4 of the degree is less than 600€, so it'd be a relatively cheap way to see if she can even handle the program. The remaining year is about 10k for non-EU students.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(01-13-2023, 02:52 PM)rachel83az Wrote: Why not the TESU BSBA CIS? I'm confused on that point. Unlike the BACS, there isn't a lot of programming.

Or she could do the Finnish Metropolia IT degree. It would cost slightly more than 10000€. The first 3/4 of the degree is less than 600€, so it'd be a relatively cheap way to see if she can even handle the program. The remaining year is about 10k for non-EU students.

Thank you Miss Rachel, I´ll suggest that one.

I forgot about Metropolia, that could be great. Since she wouldn´t have to spend much as you said. And she has not experience at all with computer topics.
University of the People might be an option too, $3600 for the MSIT. Since she is outside the US, RA vs NA might not make a difference.
(01-13-2023, 03:05 PM)FastTrackDegree Wrote: University of the People might be an option too, $3600 for the MSIT. Since she is outside the US, RA vs NA might not make a difference.

Yes, no problem with accreditation, here we can register NA and RA degrees.

As long as they appear here as accredited, there´s no problem:

https://ope.ed.gov/dapip/#/home

Maybe she could do the ENEB Big Data, since it´s very unexpensive, so she could try some IT courses.

Then if she wants, she could transfer them to TESU + her bachelor, and get the TESU BSBA CIS.
If you do UMPI, then go for the BABA Project Management
https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...egree_Plan

For YourPace students, your transcript should say the following:

Degree: Bachelor of Arts
Plan: Business Administration Major
Sub-Plan: Project Management and Information Systems Concentration

If you do TESU BSBA CIS, then do the Associate in Computer Science as well since it's free and will only take a few extra courses.

https://www.tesu.edu/academics/online-degrees
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • MrPanda

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finish Degree for CFP Marks Cfp417 7 161 Yesterday, 10:04 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI BAS or PUG BSPr or other way to doctoral degree mdn 2 138 04-23-2024, 02:00 PM
Last Post: mdn
  Is Ryan Swayt's Degree hacking course worth 1k? Fuse 48 4,742 04-22-2024, 01:02 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
Information applying for OMSCS with indian online degree MJREM 5 199 04-21-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: frankc
  Degree Planning Advice - 31, Norway, No Higher Education ASenna 37 2,554 04-21-2024, 03:12 AM
Information Newbie Needs Advice !! Quick and Easy Degree for International Student smartfion 6 215 04-20-2024, 10:57 AM
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 624 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Degree planning help - UMPI BBA vs PUG BSBA crowbird 58 2,090 04-18-2024, 12:31 AM
  TESU or somewhere else for IT/CS related degree? tdat314 6 255 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Degree/Planning Advice: Retired LEO Seeking BA and MA after life-altering injury Han_Shot_First_IYKYK 24 1,210 04-16-2024, 11:37 PM
Last Post: Han_Shot_First_IYKYK