Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My turn - restart bachelor's pursuit?
dfrecore Wrote:Ok, 2 months, 4 months, whatever. Basically, if you don't enroll at some point in time (probably way less than a year), they won't keep your transcripts and eval on hand. Plus, it won't be useful once they make a change to the plan (assuming they do). An eval is only good until a new catalog year starts, and until any changes are made. That is going to be less than a year for sure - considering that the new catalog is July 1, but the changes are usually now made April 1.
Sorry, I don't believe any of that is correct, and I have no idea where you got it. I'm pretty sure they'll keep it at least a year, and if they need to revise the eval, they will.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
Excelsior for Veterans is

No Application fee (waiver)
No Enrollment fee
Tuition $410
No student services annual fees
$130 Graduation fee

Same if you join POAG for $25.

jb111 Wrote:Good evening all! I asked a question for my girlfriend last week and got some great advice. She is weighing her options and will likely start a program this spring. We talked and she asked if I would like to finish my degree as well. Maybeeee Smile

Please let me know what you think: After the army, I used up my Army GI Bill and completed several units from a few colleges ranging from 1995 to 2005. We moved a lot, then I became a full time single father of two - school came to a screeching halt (for good reason). The course work I completed was general ed with later focus on IT. Plus I have IT certifications and 20 years experience. I contacted Excelsior, TESU and CharterOak and find their admission/tuition structure a bit confusing. This is what I figured out so far:

For all, technology classes expire in 10 years (partially dependent on degree being pursued)

-Excelsior - minimum 1.5 classes (something like 4-5 credits), $510 per credit, multi-source incurs Commitment Fee and Annual Student Fee. Is the Commitment Fee refundable if I graduate? They are doing an evaluation based on Unofficial transcript

-TESU - minimum 16 credits (something like 5.5 classes), $500 per credit, minimum 3 credits per year. I believe Syniccal said one TCEP a year would cover this. They are doing an evaluation based on Unofficial transcript.

-COSC - Minimum 6 credits (2 classes), very confusing pricing model due to lab fees but appears to be close to the others. No minimum yearly courses. Student can do their own eval based on transcript.

I don't need to complete this for career reasons (though it may help down the road). This is more of a closure and clean up the resume thing. The big questions for me are:
-As a veteran, do any of these schools provide a less expensive path?
-What should I study? I know this is my decision but open to ideas. IT/Cyber Security lines up with the job and some previous classes. However, since the degree is more like, "Icing on the cake", Liberal Arts could be faster - especially taking into consideration expired technology classes. Lastly, if it came down to the exact number of classes no matter what I did, I'd do something more interesting like psychology. I'm open to different job in the future, who knows Smile

Thanks for checking this out. JB
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

jb111 Wrote:TESU admission said the following, "When you apply you pay the $75 app fee. Your app is good for one year and if you don’t take a course within that year you just re-apply. You can clep and dsst some courses and transfer the score into TESU when you are ready to attend. That way you’re not wasting any money".

BUT, what they DIDN'T say (Dfrecore did) is that when the academic calendar revises, you won't be locked into THIS catalog if you're not enrolled. So, an unofficial evaluation under this catalog (even after you send your transcripts) is moot- you'll be testing and filling requirements that will be "old" and potentially wrong. The catalog in effect when you enroll is the requirement you'll need to fill. It's always a roll of the dice. Some years it isn't much, other years have been big whammies.
davewill Wrote:Sorry, I don't believe any of that is correct, and I have no idea where you got it. I'm pretty sure they'll keep it at least a year, and if they need to revise the eval, they will.

I did not say that they wouldn't revise the eval.

And as for where I got the info, I spoke with someone there and they said that if I didn't enroll within 2 months from application, they discarded your file. It may be old info at this point, but like I said, if you apply, send in all of your transcripts, and then do nothing, at some point, your eval is no longer good. If you don't enroll, you are not locked into a catalog, and changes can and will apply.

That is why they told jb111 that if he didn't enroll within a year, he would have to reapply. That means starting from scratch. Yes, I guess they MAY keep your previous transcripts, but they may not.

So, I guess you can spend $75 to apply, and spend money to send in all your transcripts, and then wait for 3 years and see what happens. But what exactly is the point of that? It's a waste of all of that money.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 483 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Just 16% of community college students transfer and earn a bachelor’s degree Ares 6 436 02-14-2024, 01:13 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Atlantic Technological University Interesting Bachelor degree offering from Ireland durain 0 251 02-12-2024, 02:58 AM
Last Post: durain
  Metropolia Transition to Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology aleksa 10 1,444 11-09-2023, 03:36 PM
Last Post: aleksa
  Do extended level 6 diploma's from the UK get evaluated as Bachelor degrees in the US Pinko64 3 559 11-02-2023, 12:01 AM
Last Post: Pinko64
  I'm getting another Bachelor's degree nomaduser 21 1,891 10-20-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  These associate degree majors lead to higher incomes than a 4-year bachelor's. LevelUP 4 561 10-07-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Information Coursera Bachelor of Science in Computer Science for $4k! nomaduser 19 3,878 09-16-2023, 06:32 PM
  Mexican Bachelor of Engineering programs US$4200 elcastor21 2 410 08-31-2023, 03:38 AM
Last Post: Kab
  Canada: 2x Unemployed Bachelor's holders than vacancies requiring Bachelor's Degrees JPN 1 591 05-28-2023, 06:12 PM