Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mysonx3's Law School Thread
Update:

Predictably, the April LSAT has also been cancelled due to the coronavirus. Less predictable, however, was LSAC's solution:

Some time in late May, they will be hosting the "LSAT-Flex" - a version of the LSAT that gets rid of one of the Logical Reasoning sections, as well as the unscored experimental section. Notably, the LSAT-Flex will be a take-from-home, online proctored test.

You're in my turf now, LSAT!
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • MSK9
Another update:

My LSAT is scheduled for May 18th via ProctorU. Wish me luck!
Completed:

Up Next:

[-] The following 2 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley, ROYISAGIRL
Update:

I took the LSAT yesterday. It's tough to gauge how I did, but I think it went reasonably well. I'm fairly certain I put up a pretty nice score, though I suspect I may have scored a few points below my typical practice tests. I will receive my score on the 5th.

In the meantime, I've gotten letters of recommendation from all but one of the people I asked (and I'm pretty confident he'll come through as well, he's just a major procrastinator), so all that's left for me to do (besides possibly retaking the LSAT if I'm not happy with my score) is:

a) Take the writing portion of the LSAT (it's kind of a weird setup where the writing section is separate and not scored, but still technically considered part of the test and still a requirement to apply). I'll be doing this in the next week, in all likelihood. From what I've read, it sounds like it uses RPNow or something similar.

b) Write my application essays. That will consist of a personal statement (which can be recycled with only minor changes for each school), a total of 2-3 school-specific essays (most schools don't have any, but a few do), and probably a few short "why such and such a school" essays (I'm told most schools don't care, but a few do)
Completed:

Up Next:

[-] The following 5 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • HeatherCO, Jonathan Whatley, jsd, natshar, sheptr
(05-19-2020, 09:49 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: Update:

I took the LSAT yesterday. It's tough to gauge how I did, but I think it went reasonably well. I'm fairly certain I put up a pretty nice score, though I suspect I may have scored a few points below my typical practice tests. I will receive my score on the 5th.

In the meantime, I've gotten letters of recommendation from all but one of the people I asked (and I'm pretty confident he'll come through as well, he's just a major procrastinator), so all that's left for me to do (besides possibly retaking the LSAT if I'm not happy with my score) is:

a) Take the writing portion of the LSAT (it's kind of a weird setup where the writing section is separate and not scored, but still technically considered part of the test and still a requirement to apply). I'll be doing this in the next week, in all likelihood. From what I've read, it sounds like it uses RPNow or something similar.

b) Write my application essays. That will consist of a personal statement (which can be recycled with only minor changes for each school), a total of 2-3 school-specific essays (most schools don't have any, but a few do), and probably a few short "why such and such a school" essays (I'm told most schools don't care, but a few do)

So the goal is to enroll at Law School Fall 2021? I assume it's too late for this fall. So what will you do the year while you are waiting/

Also your grades still say pending and I thought you said you had a 4.0?
I hope you reach your goals, of course, but as an aside, it seems to me that a law school admissions test that doesn't include logical reasoning is totally pointless.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
(05-19-2020, 01:46 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote: I hope you reach your goals, of course, but as an aside, it seems to me that a law school admissions test that doesn't include logical reasoning is totally pointless.
I should've probably been more clear: they removed only 1 of the 2 logical reasoning sections that are usually on the test. So it made up 1/3 of the test, rather than 1/2.

(05-19-2020, 11:49 AM)natshar Wrote:

So the goal is to enroll at Law School Fall 2021? I assume it's too late for this fall. So what will you do the year while you are waiting/

Yep, Fall of 2021 is the plan. In the meantime, I'll be working (well, once things reopen enough that I can). I'm currently a substitute teacher, and would be perfectly content to do that full time (along with some side hustles) if I can't find anything better by the time schools open up again in the Fall, but I'll also be applying for some other jobs.

Where are you referring to that my grades say pending? Probably just a matter of me forgetting to update something.
Completed:

Up Next:

(05-19-2020, 04:33 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 01:46 PM)SteveFoerster Wrote: I hope you reach your goals, of course, but as an aside, it seems to me that a law school admissions test that doesn't include logical reasoning is totally pointless.
I should've probably been more clear: they removed only 1 of the 2 logical reasoning sections that are usually on the test. So it made up 1/3 of the test, rather than 1/2.

Yep, Fall of 2021 is the plan. In the meantime, I'll be working (well, once things reopen enough that I can). I'm currently a substitute teacher, and would be perfectly content to do that full time (along with some side hustles) if I can't find anything better by the time schools open up again in the Fall, but I'll also be applying for some other jobs.

Where are you referring to that my grades say pending? Probably just a matter of me forgetting to update something.

in your signature is what I'm talking about.
(05-19-2020, 04:53 PM)natshar Wrote:
(05-19-2020, 04:33 PM)mysonx3 Wrote:

in your signature is what I'm talking about.

Ah, thank you. I forgot about that link. It's updated now.
Completed:

Up Next:

Update:

- I got my score back from the LSAT this morning. I scored a 176. Now I will need to consider whether to settle for that or go for higher on a second attempt (since most of my PT scores were a bit higher than that). Leaning towards not retaking, since from everything I've looked at I don't think the extra point or two will materially affect my outcomes
- My last recommendation letter has been submitted

What's left to do:
- Make decision on potentially retaking the LSAT
- Write application essays (this will entail a personal statement, a 250 word essay required by one of my target schools, and some "Why such and such a school" essays for schools that care about that)
- Wait for applications to open
- Submit applications
- Wait on pins and needles to hear back from schools
Completed:

Up Next:

Buddy, with that score and your 4.0, you can get into one of the top 10 schools.

Start applying to Yale and Harvard Law.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,757 552,319 1 hour ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  nitstharya - Grad School Top Up Recommendation nitstharya 1 188 04-10-2024, 04:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 33 7,367 04-04-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: collegecareerstudent
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 1,129 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 16,185 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,854 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,338 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,737 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,105 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Caribbean Immigration (Med School Discount! - Secrets - Shhh...) bjcheung77 19 4,679 09-29-2023, 10:14 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess