Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Mysonx3's Law School Thread
Congratulations!!!! I was waiting for this update, I am getting my BS in Engineering and then Law School. So good to here someone went unconventional and did good on the LSAT.
Congratulations on the Northwestern acceptance! A good friend of mine just graduated from law school there. Absolutely phenomenal program!
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
Congratulations on your acceptance! Keep us posted on where else you get accepted.

I need to finish my MBA and then law school will be next.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(12-21-2020, 11:18 PM)mysonx3 Wrote: Haven't been around here in a while, but I have an exciting update: this afternoon I got my first acceptance letter, from Northwestern. I'm going to be a lawyer! No word on financial aid yet, and there are still a lot of schools I'm waiting to hear back from, but this is a huge deal for me. Thank you so much to everyone here on the forum who helped make this possible. I absolutely, 100% could not have done it without you.

(08-24-2020, 08:47 PM)ThatBankDude Wrote: Hey, if you get into Duke, we will both be Dukies! ? Good luck!

Doesn't look like this will be happening, unfortunately; they waitlisted me. Oh well!

Yale
Applied and awaiting decision

Stanford

Harvard

Chicago

Columbia

NYU

Penn

Virginia

Michigan

Duke
Waitlisted

UC-Berkeley

Northwestern
Accepted! Go Wildcats!

Cornell
Applied, selected for and completed interview. Awaiting decision

Georgetown
Applied, selected for interview (scheduled for 12/18)

Request update.
Have you been accepted to any additional law schools and did you make a decision on where to attend?
(03-18-2021, 08:19 PM)HogwartsSchool Wrote: Request update.
Have you been accepted to any additional law schools and did you make a decision on where to attend?

The OP hasn't logged in on over 6 weeks.
Upcoming Degrees:
Master of Arts in Social Science (conc. Sociology) - Georgia Southern University - April 2025
Up Next (Decision MADE!)
Ph.D in Criminal Justice (Intelligence) - UNG
Finished Degrees and Certificates: 
AAS Board of Governors - Pierpont Community & Technical College  8/2021
AS Business Administration (cum laude) -  Franklin University 9/2022
Grant Writing Certificate- Fort Hays State University - 11/2022
BS Social Science (cum laude) - Franklin University 12/2022

[-] The following 1 user Likes TINASAM's post:
  • DeidreA
Sorry everyone for the LONG delay between updates. Life has been hectic.

Here is the recap of my application cycle:

Admissions Results:

Acceptances: Northwestern, Cornell

Waitlists: University of Chicago, University of Michigan, Penn, University of Virginia, Duke, Georgetown

Rejections: Yale, Stanford, Harvard, UC-Berkeley

Left on Read: Columbia, NYU

Very, very happy with my two acceptances, even if a little bummed out at some of the other decisions. Also a little frustrated with NYU and Columbia for not making a decision when I submitted my application so long ago (almost eight months, in the case of Columbia).

Financial Aid:
Law school is extremely expensive, so this is a huge factor for me. Cornell made the first offer, totaling $135,000 ($45k per year). That works out to roughly 2/3 of tuition.

A few weeks later, Northwestern sent their offer: $180,000 ($60k per year, or approximately 90% of tuition).

For law school, it is common to negotiate scholarships with schools. During this process, Cornell decided to match Northwestern's offer, leaving me with equal offers from each school.

Finally, Northwestern declined my request to increase their offer to top Cornell's.

Considerations:
  • With equivalent scholarship offers, the lower cost of living worked out to make Cornell about $10-15k cheaper.
  • I intend to go into a public interest career (as opposed to a well-paying job at a firm or the like). Both schools have programs to help graduates who choose such careers pay back their loans. However, Cornell's program is quite a bit better and more flexible.
  • Northwestern has a strong program for appellate advocacy, a Supreme Court litigation clinic, and a program allowing you to work on independent research for the bulk of your third year - all of which are extremely appealing
  • Cornell has a fantastic Death Penalty clinic (which is the type of work I want to do)
  • Northwestern is in a big city (Chicago), while Cornell is in a small college town (Ithaca, NY)
The Decision:

I will be attending Cornell Law School in the fall!

Thank you so much to everyone hear who helped me through my circuitous undergrad journey. Without you, this wouldn't be possible!

Go Big Red!
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 13 users Like mysonx3's post:
  • ARhead, jch, Jobe112, jsd, LevelUP, natshar, neutrino, P226mem, Pikachu, rachel83az, ROYISAGIRL, TenderMoni, Vle045
(04-23-2021, 11:46 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: Sorry everyone for the LONG delay between updates. Life has been hectic.

Admissions Results:

Waitlists: University of Chicago, University of Michigan, Penn, University of Virginia, Duke, Georgetown

Very, very happy with my two acceptances, even if a little bummed out at some of the other decisions. Also a little frustrated with NYU and Columbia for not making a decision when I submitted my application so long ago (almost eight months, in the case of Columbia).

Financial Aid:
Law school is extremely expensive, so this is a huge factor for me. Cornell made the first offer, totaling $135,000 ($45k per year). That works out to roughly 2/3 of tuition.

A few weeks later, Northwestern sent their offer: $180,000 ($60k per year, or approximately 90% of tuition).

For law school, it is common to negotiate scholarships with schools. During this process, Cornell decided to match Northwestern's offer, leaving me with equal offers from each school.

Finally, Northwestern declined my request to increase their offer to top Cornell's.

Considerations:
  • With equivalent scholarship offers, the lower cost of living worked out to make Cornell about $10-15k cheaper.
  • I intend to go into a public interest career (as opposed to a well-paying job at a firm or the like). Both schools have programs to help graduates who choose such careers pay back their loans. However, Cornell's program is quite a bit better and more flexible.
  • Northwestern has a strong program for appellate advocacy, a Supreme Court litigation clinic, and a program allowing you to work on independent research for the bulk of your third year - all of which are extremely appealing
  • Cornell has a fantastic Death Penalty clinic (which is the type of work I want to do)
  • Northwestern is in a big city (Chicago), while Cornell is in a small college town (Ithaca, NY)
The Decision:

Thank you so much to everyone hear who helped me through my circuitous undergrad journey. Without you, this wouldn't be possible!

Go Big Red!
Impressive! Going to an Ivy League law school. 
You didn't want to wait on the one's who didn't get back you? Or what is the chance of getting off the waitlist of any of them.
(04-23-2021, 11:56 AM)natshar Wrote:
(04-23-2021, 11:46 AM)mysonx3 Wrote: Sorry everyone for the LONG delay between updates. Life has been hectic.

Admissions Results:

Financial Aid:

Considerations:
The Decision:

Go Big Red!
Impressive! Going to an Ivy League law school. 
You didn't want to wait on the one's who didn't get back you? Or what is the chance of getting off the waitlist of any of them.

Unfortunately I didn't have the option to wait on the ones that haven't gotten back to me - my deposit deadline at Cornell was April 15th (part of the reason I'm so frustrated not to have heard back). That first deposit isn't binding, so I have the option to change my mind if one of the waitlists or schools I haven't heard from turns into an acceptance. However, even if it does, it's unlikely it will come with enough financial aid to warrant choosing that school over Cornell.
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
[-] The following 1 user Likes mysonx3's post:
  • Vle045
Congratulations! Its wonderful
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cofffeee's post:
  • mysonx3
Amazing! Congrats! Cornell and Northwestern are great schools for the study of Law. It's a winner either one you pick, this reminds me of some other post on another forum... Anyways, forget the other schools if they haven't followed up yet unless your first and second choice are Columbia and NYU... Good luck on your upcoming new educational journey, enjoy the ride!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • mysonx3

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 2,663 514,564 8 hours ago
Last Post: eLearner
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 873 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,838 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,337 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,271 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,242 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,347 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,061 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Caribbean Immigration (Med School Discount! - Secrets - Shhh...) bjcheung77 19 4,500 09-29-2023, 10:14 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Chaminade University - Ed.S School Psychology program (Not online, but it's FREE !) nyvrem 9 1,203 09-02-2023, 04:19 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger