Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N.J. Governor Wants to Merge Thomas Edison Into Rutgers
Rhashad Wrote:I'm really looking forward to this conversation:

"Thomas Edison College? . . . . never heard of it."
"Oh, yea, you probably know it by Rutgers now" . . . . Confusedmilelol: Too funny!

Might be a huge problem for newer students as far as testing and alternative credits, but great news to those graduating soon.
:iagree: Good points! I am also thinking about the huge military student body. They will need to remain atleast somewhat flexible for them. This may be TESC's saving grace of remaining a separate, although inclusive, entity. Unfortunately I am certain the requirements will change for those folks caught in the changeover. It's just the nature of the beast.

"Setting a goal is not the main thing. It is deciding how you will go about achieving it and staying with that plan." -Tom Landry

TESC:
AAS, Admin Studies. 2010
BA, Social Sciences. 2010. Arnold Fletcher Award.
AAS, Environmental, Safety & Security Technologies. 2011
BSBA, General Management. 2011. Arnold Fletcher Award. Sigma Beta Delta (ΣΒΔWink!
I wonder what will happen to Rutgers' customer service Wink

Phillip
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Management 77[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Sociology 74[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Marketing 78[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro to Psychology 80 [/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Intro Business Law 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Macroeconomics 73[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP A & I Lit 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Principles of Microeconomics 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Financial Accounting 62[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Ethics in America 468[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST MIS 482[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]CLEP Natural Science 72[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Org Behavior 80[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]DSST Finance 462[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Next: ALEKS Jail (College Algebra) Going dark to finish[/SIZE]
Crazy! This might mean I'll graduate with a BS from - Rutgers!? wow. All speculation and only a possibility right now, but I'd be glad for that. Nothing against TESC: love it. Just would be nice to mention my Alma Mater and have some acknowledgment.

I hope it doesn't happen, because TESC is a dream for so many, like myself, who were able to do affordable, real-life competitive college and not pay for it like a rushing nosebleed. Go TESC.
[SIZE="2"]graduated
[/SIZE]
Wondering... if the change happens can you order a duplicate diploma for those of us who have already graduated? And what would it say?

I wonder if they would denote the degrees as just "Rutgers University", "extended learning", or as "Rutgers University, Thomas Edison College"?

Either way would be a huge boost to reputation. How awesome would that be? Now I think my $2000 may pay for itself more than I ever imagined.
MISin08 Wrote:I wonder what will happen to Rutgers' customer service Wink

Phillip

HAHAHA

I will NOT miss TESC in that area...cheersmate
[SIZE="2"]graduated
[/SIZE]
You realize that Rutgers doesn't want this right? They look down their nose at TESC as being little more than a community college.

If push comes to shove, Rutgers will likely win... Which would mean one of two things... The Gears reverse and TESC stays as it has been as its own entity. Or they shut it down.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
addision Wrote:Wondering... if the change happens can you order a duplicate diploma for those of us who have already graduated? And what would it say?

I wonder if they would denote the degrees as just "Rutgers University", "extended learning", or as "Rutgers University, Thomas Edison College"?

Either way would be a huge boost to reputation. How awesome would that be? Now I think my $2000 may pay for itself more than I ever imagined.

I have a feeling they would use the phrase "Rutgers University- Virtual Campus" to describe TESC graduates. Apparently TESC will lose all funding under the proposed budget which will make this happen quickly if its going to happen. I would imagine in the future you can put the name Rutgers down for a degree since any employer that requests a transcript will not be receiving a Rutgers transcript even for those who never were part of the RU program. Not sure about a duplicate diploma though.

I feel bad for people, though, who chose TESC due to the lower cost because I doubt that will exist in the future if the merger happens. They should do something to keep the costs low for military students, IMO. They also need to make sure that those currently enrolled at TESC who utilized TECEPs/PLAs/CLEPS, etc... do not get screwed over. If a student has at least junior standing they should not be forced to give up upper level credits earned by alternative means. Those students who may be affected by the change in credit acceptance policies should be presented with information on the other two big online schools so that they may have an alternative presented to them that they may have not known about.
good point, an elimination of funding would result in a sooner-than-later change. Doubt if TESC is completely scrapped because it has a business model that most larger schools are trying to integrate into their system.

Rhashad Hicks
Liberty University, DBA
starting 02/2023

Western Governors University, MBA
Organization & Strategy 2013
Educational Design 2021

TESC Bachelors (18 Months)
American History 2011

CLEP
English Comp w/essay | A & I literature | American Government | Prin. of Management | Prin. of Marketing | Intro to computers | Business Law | Intro to Sociology | Psychology | social sciences & history | U.S. History I | U.S. History II | Human Growth & Dev. | Educational Psych | Microeconomics | Macroeconomics

DANTES
Civil War & Recon. | Technical Writing | Prin. of Supervision | History of Vietnam | Organizational Behavior | Substance abuse | Management Info Systems | Intro to Business | Principles of Counseling | Modern Middle East

ALEKS
Beg. Algebra | Intermediate Algebra | Pre-Calculus | Business Statistics

STRAIGHTERLINE
Accounting I | Accounting II
Thomas Edison president takes dim view of proposed Rutgers merger - NJ.com

TRENTON -- The president of Thomas Edison State College said yesterday the school would fight a budget proposal suggesting the college merge with Rutgers University, a plan president George Pruitt said "was not in the public interest."

For the four-year college, the news coming out of Gov. Chris Christie's budget address Tuesday was disheartening to say the least -- the institution was granted zero state funding, after receiving $5.6 million last year.

But of more serious concern to Pruitt was a proposal buried within the governor's 142-page "Budget in Brief."

"The Governor's Fiscal 2011 Budget replicates Rutgers' central role in the revitalization of downtown New Brunswick by proposing to bring Rutgers to the Capital City through a merger with Thomas Edison State College," it reads, noting further down that Rutgers would also take over the State Library, which Thomas Edison oversees, and the State Museum.

Thomas Edison serves a distinct sector of students -- almost all of the 18,000 currently enrolled are adults looking to continue their education on a flexible basis while working, raising a family or after retiring from the military, for instance.

The average age of a typical Thomas Edison student is 40, Pruitt said, and many utilize online courses and distance learning, as opposed to classroom-based institutions like Rutgers or The College of New Jersey nearby.

Pushing the college under the umbrella of Rutgers would not serve the students who have come to rely on the school's specialized programs and approach, he said.

"This is a very distinctive institution that serves a very special niche within higher education," he said. "We play a special role and that role requires us to be autonomous and separate from other institutions."

Pruitt also took issue with the proposal's suggestion that bringing Rutgers into the picture would ignite economic development in Trenton, saying he didn't see how changing the name from "Thomas Edison" to "Rutgers" would increase economic opportunities in the capital city.

"I fully appreciate it's a new administration faced with one of the biggest fiscal crises in the nation," he said. "But the policy rationale I just don't understand."

While other colleges have come and gone, often leaving for the outlying suburbs of Mercer County, Thomas Edison chose to move to Trenton from Princeton years ago, he said.

"We're the only institution to make a conscious decision to invest in Trenton," he said. "I don't understand why another new institution would have to come into town for economic development. We've already been here and been here for 30 years."

Rutgers faces its own challenges -- under Christie's proposed budget the university would lose $37.8 million in state funding, part of the $175 million in cuts dealt to higher education as part of Christie's plan to close a glaring deficit in the fiscal year 2011 budget.

"It doesn't make sense financially," Pruitt said. "I don't understand how any money is being saved. The president of Rutgers told me this was not his idea, and he did not know about it and it was not something he coveted or wanted."

Rutgers president Richard L. McCormick touched briefly on the proposed merger in a letter sent out yesterday to the Rutgers community, calling it an "unsolicited proposal" that would "require consultation within and beyond the university community and would ultimately require approval by our boards of governors and trustees."

The governor's budget brief noted Thomas Edison's nontraditional education model and Rutgers' utilization of both classroom and online learning and said "the combination will allow new classroom-based services for students in Trenton, while leveraging the two institutions' distance learning programming."

Representatives from the governor's office could not be reached for further comment on the proposal.

The proposal is not iron-clad of course -- the budget as a whole will require approval from the state Legislature.

Pruitt said the college has been reaching out to the governor's office and legislators in the wake of Christie's budget address to make the case for why Thomas Edison should stand apart as a separate institution of higher learning.

"We are very encouraged by the comments we've had from the leadership in the Legislature from both parties that ... don't seem to understand (this proposal) either," he said.

Assemblywoman Bonnie Watson Coleman, D-Ewing, said she will urge her fellow legislators to reconsider any sort of Rutgers merger or takeover.

"I think that if the mission of Thomas Edison College becomes submerged in the priorities of a large university, then the mission will get lost and disappear," she said, adding that Thomas Edison has always been highly involved in the city of Trenton.

"Even the transition team's report on higher education said New Jersey needs to get more serious about it and invest in it and this certainly isn't an investment."
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
It sounds like it may not happen but it would've been an added bonus to go from an unranked school to a top tier school overnight.

Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey--New Brunswick - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thomas Edison Computer Science Degree avi_learning 35 3,000 08-29-2023, 02:10 PM
Last Post: avi_learning
  Equivalent to SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy at Thomas Edison State University thepoetvd776 4 1,203 02-17-2021, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Thomas Edison Art geissingert 12 2,274 05-23-2020, 05:38 PM
Last Post: natshar
  TESU Alumni - Can you logon to OSS/My Edison? bjcheung77 2 934 02-19-2020, 12:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Current list of study.com courses that Thomas Edison accepts? sharsharky 3 1,079 09-27-2019, 12:02 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Thomas Edison BSBA International Business Help DarthArbiter00 9 1,694 06-24-2019, 02:16 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Thomas edison state university operational management clydeben 6 1,583 05-02-2019, 11:06 AM
Last Post: akr680
  Does Thomas Edison State University still accept Penn Foster's Fin 101? AmyPerez82 2 1,243 04-05-2019, 01:51 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Completed Associate Degree from Thomas Edison - A Few Tips jumpstart 4 1,769 01-11-2019, 07:39 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Was there ever an Edison State College? sanantone 9 1,830 11-26-2018, 01:54 PM
Last Post: davewill