Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
N.J. Governor Wants to Merge Thomas Edison Into Rutgers
Quote:It sounds like it may not happen but it would've been an added bonus to go from an unranked school to a top tier school overnight.

I don't know about that. It's not up to the college Presidents to decide. The gov is basically suggesting that Rutgers absorb TESC, which will save the state money. That makes perfect sense from the Gov's standpoint. TESC and Rutgers Board of Governors have to approve. Half of the Board of Governors are people appointed by the Gov. The trustees must approve as well. I am really oversimplifying, but there is plenty of pressure and influence that can be exerted, since these are state colleges.
Rutgers: Governing Boards of the University
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it
This conversation makes me think a look at the other of the "big three" may be in order, just to keep from wasting credits or time. I was planning on TESC for myself and my kids were headed there as well.

Interesting days ahead.....

Passed:

American Gov, US History 1, US History 2, Computing, Info Systems, Humanities, Sociology, Art, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, Social Sciences and History, Civil War, Business, Vietnam, A&I Lit, Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice, American Lit, English Lit, Astronomy, Supervision, 1 FEMA, Total -79
taylor Wrote:It sounds like it may not happen but it would've been an added bonus to go from an unranked school to a top tier school overnight.

Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey--New Brunswick - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

You seem to be missing the fact that there are 3 Rutgers campuses and that one of those is Tier 3. You better bet your bottom dollar that if TESC did get absorbed, there'd be a new diploma that may or may not say 'Rutgers' but its certainly going to be discernable from the Tier 1 campuses diploma...

Rutgers Alumni would have an utter fit, otherwise. Heck, they're having a fit now after the announcement because none of them seem to want to be associated with TESC. They'd probably take over the Museum and Library from TESC, but that is about all they would want.

Rhashad Wrote:good point, an elimination of funding would result in a sooner-than-later change. Doubt if TESC is completely scrapped because it has a business model that most larger schools are trying to integrate into their system.
Not really. Larger schools are trying to develop better DL programs than they currently have, yes. But as someone mentioned on another Forum, TESC has canned courses that don't have teachers but 'mentors'. And obviously they're not self-sustaining money-wise. In addition, traditional schools loathe the no-residency requirement. That's why there's the Big 3 (4 if you count Athabasca, but they have 3 yr Bachelors) and not the big 200.

So, no, larger schools are not trying to integrate TESC's business model.
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Wile E. Coyote, genius. I am not selling anything nor am I working my way through college, so let's get down to basics: you are a rabbit and I am going to eat you for supper. Now don't try to get away, I am more muscular, more cunning, faster and larger than you are, and I am a genius, while you could hardly pass the entrance examinations to kindergarten, so I'll give you the customary two minutes to say your prayers.

Bachelor of Science in PsychoRabbitology degree
Master of Education with a specialty in Rabbit-specific destructive munitions (or eLearning & Technology, I forget which)
Doctor of Philosophy in Wile E. Leadership with an area of specialty in Acme Mind Expansion - 2017 Hopefully
Personally I hope this doesn't go through for a year or two. I'm so close to finishing and I don't want anything like this that out of my control to bollux it up! Yeah, having "Rutgers University" or something close on my degree would be nice but frankly at this point I just don't care. I want my degree and don't want to have to go through the hassle of trying to figure out any new requirements that may delay my finishing!!! I really don't want to transfer to COSC or Excelsior but I'll have to if TESC changes their requirements on me now.
BA in History, TESC, Graduated September 2010
MA in History, American Public University, currently pursuing
Virginia teaching license, currently pursuing

Check out Degree Forum Wiki for more information on putting together your own degree plan!

My BA History degree plan.
TMW2010, yes you're right Newark is tier 3. However, most people don't differentiate between the campuses unless you're going to interrogate with a fine tooth comb. My sister went to the New Brunswick campus and I have friends with average grades that went to Newark but they all wear the same sweatshirt...one happy family.

As far as merges, I actually can draw from personal experience. A long time ago after high school I attended Norwich University for a year, it also merged with Vermont College. Of course, the Norwich students, including myself, resented the fact that Vermont College students got the same brand name diploma or transcripts without having to go through all the military rigors that the students of Norwich went through. But in the end I believe the Vermont College students got the last laugh. BTW Vermont College is no longer part of Norwich University. So if TESC does merge with Rutgers more than likely Rutgers would have to be on the transcripts and the diploma.
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
The update today: Thomas Edison president takes dim view of proposed Rutgers merger - NJ.com

I knew TESC wouldn't go for this. Why would they? They have nothing to gain and everything to lose by a merger. Yes, the name would be good, but they have a large student population - low tuition- no residency - and autonomy to accept unlimited transfer credit. All of that wold go away with a merger.
I'm betting ALL of my chips that they go private or fold. This might get really ugly.
txl996 Wrote:This is interesting. I was thinking about enrolling at TESC in the fall. Maybe I should enroll now.
I think there may be a lot of us lurking around, intending to wait and enroll as soon as we have gathered up most of our credits. I feel like one of the three pigs trying to make a house out of twigs- and the NJ governor is huffing and puffing preparing to blow the house down.
"The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize!" Clairee in "Steel Magnolias"
BA General Studies COSC 5/31/15
COSC Cornerstone A 10/2013, Capstone A 11/2014
UExel- Social Psych A, Psych of A and A- A, Research Methods/Psych B, Pathophysiology A.
FEMA- 27, NFA-Q118, Q 534, Q137 and Q318
Clep- 2008 Humanities 75, 2009 Intro Sociology 67, US History I 69, US History II 61, American Lit. 71, Analyze & Int. Lit. 75, 2011 Western Civ. ll 58, Social Science 67
DSST-2010 HTYH 463, Ethics in America 433, Sub. Abuse 444, 2011 Art of the Western World 67, Civil War and Recon. 58, Org. Behavior 64, 2010 Env. and Humanity 68, Hist. of the Vietnam War 76, 2011 Intro World Religions 451, 2013 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 62, Technical Writing 60, Business Ethics and Society 449.
TEEX- 2013 Cyber Security classes x 3
DACC and IU: Speech, Psych, Rhetoric, Creative Writing
I hope this gets resolved pretty soon, I'm sure it's unfairly putting a lot of current students on edge. As for newly alums like myself, I'm just anticipating going to the Rutgers bookstore to buy me some cool new threads.

I'm sure some Rutgers students may get upset, but I'm sure they'll get over it. I'd be PO'd too if Thomas Edison merged with George Washington Elementary School but after a while I'm sure I'd get used to taking class pictures with a bunch of 3rd graders:roflol: .
TESC AA
TESC BA June 2010
Hmm, very scary, but possible. TESC folding would be a disaster for all of us.

cookderosa Wrote:The update today: Thomas Edison president takes dim view of proposed Rutgers merger - NJ.com

I knew TESC wouldn't go for this. Why would they? They have nothing to gain and everything to lose by a merger. Yes, the name would be good, but they have a large student population - low tuition- no residency - and autonomy to accept unlimited transfer credit. All of that wold go away with a merger.
I'm betting ALL of my chips that they go private or fold. This might get really ugly.

Rhashad Hicks
Liberty University, DBA
starting 02/2023

Western Governors University, MBA
Organization & Strategy 2013
Educational Design 2021

TESC Bachelors (18 Months)
American History 2011

CLEP
English Comp w/essay | A & I literature | American Government | Prin. of Management | Prin. of Marketing | Intro to computers | Business Law | Intro to Sociology | Psychology | social sciences & history | U.S. History I | U.S. History II | Human Growth & Dev. | Educational Psych | Microeconomics | Macroeconomics

DANTES
Civil War & Recon. | Technical Writing | Prin. of Supervision | History of Vietnam | Organizational Behavior | Substance abuse | Management Info Systems | Intro to Business | Principles of Counseling | Modern Middle East

ALEKS
Beg. Algebra | Intermediate Algebra | Pre-Calculus | Business Statistics

STRAIGHTERLINE
Accounting I | Accounting II
Quote:I'm sure some Rutgers students may get upset, but I'm sure they'll get over it. I'd be PO'd too if Thomas Edison merged with George Washington Elementary School but after a while I'm sure I'd get used to taking class pictures with a bunch of 3rd graders .

Pretty funny.

In all seriousness I think that all of those from this forum who have dealt with TESC could figure out how to cut out at least $500K worth of inefficiencies....and thats just in the "advisement" department. You can train a monkey to say no (to any request). Confusedeeya: Come on .......four weeks to acknowledge that a transcript has been received. Another 8 weeks to update the "evaluation".

This will be good for eveyone concerned. A better model will emerge. Change is good. Rutgers will swallow the pill and figure out how to make it work. It isn't as if TESC is being run at maximum efficiency.
Excelsior - BS Business 2008
Son #1 TESC BSBA Computer Information Systems completed June 2010
Son #2 TESC BA Computer Science completed November 2010 Currently in Florida State (FSU) Masters CS program and loving it

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Thomas Edison Computer Science Degree avi_learning 35 3,000 08-29-2023, 02:10 PM
Last Post: avi_learning
  Equivalent to SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy at Thomas Edison State University thepoetvd776 4 1,203 02-17-2021, 10:09 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Thomas Edison Art geissingert 12 2,274 05-23-2020, 05:38 PM
Last Post: natshar
  TESU Alumni - Can you logon to OSS/My Edison? bjcheung77 2 934 02-19-2020, 12:11 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Current list of study.com courses that Thomas Edison accepts? sharsharky 3 1,079 09-27-2019, 12:02 PM
Last Post: TwinMom
  Thomas Edison BSBA International Business Help DarthArbiter00 9 1,694 06-24-2019, 02:16 PM
Last Post: allvia
  Thomas edison state university operational management clydeben 6 1,583 05-02-2019, 11:06 AM
Last Post: akr680
  Does Thomas Edison State University still accept Penn Foster's Fin 101? AmyPerez82 2 1,243 04-05-2019, 01:51 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Completed Associate Degree from Thomas Edison - A Few Tips jumpstart 4 1,769 01-11-2019, 07:39 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Was there ever an Edison State College? sanantone 9 1,829 11-26-2018, 01:54 PM
Last Post: davewill