Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NA to RA regarding jobs
I started the MBA program at Walden over the holidays but did not finish nearly as much as I would have liked to due to the holidays, personal events, and numerous surgeries. Had I known that they were going to continue offering free terms I would have just started in the next term. While I hate the amount of reading the program itself seems to be a decent fit for me. The problem is I don't have money to continue right now and taking out loans is definitely not an option, which brings me to my next question.

It looks like Walden will accept credits from NA schools. I'm half debating still the idea of trying a term or two at University of the People (NA accredited) and then transferring the credits back to Walden (RA accredited). Has anyone transferred NA credits to RA schools? If so has it affected you in any way, particularly with job searches? I don't really foresee myself working for the government but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot by eliminating the possibility.
MBA, Walden University (In progress - 60% done)
2016 TESU, BA-LIBST, Emphases in Multimedia Comm./Human & Social Services
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(06-09-2019, 02:12 AM)SweetSecret Wrote: I started the MBA program at Walden over the holidays but did not finish nearly as much as I would have liked to due to the holidays, personal events, and numerous surgeries. Had I known that they were going to continue offering free terms I would have just started in the next term. While I hate the amount of reading the program itself seems to be a decent fit for me. The problem is I don't have money to continue right now and taking out loans is definitely not an option, which brings me to my next question.

It looks like Walden will accept credits from NA schools. I'm half debating still the idea of trying a term or two at University of the People (NA accredited) and then transferring the credits back to Walden (RA accredited). Has anyone transferred NA credits to RA schools? If so has it affected you in any way, particularly with job searches? I don't really foresee myself working for the government but I also don't want to shoot myself in the foot by eliminating the possibility.
No one will care where you earned transfer credits; they'll only be looking at the completed degree. In reference to the business field, I could only see the origins of individual courses being an issue with boards of accountancy.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
(06-09-2019, 02:42 AM)sanantone Wrote: No one will care where you earned transfer credits; they'll only be looking at the completed degree. In reference to the business field, I could only see the origins of individual courses being an issue with boards of accountancy.

Thanks, Sanantone! 

Forgot to ask this too: 
Is there any chance that if a job requirement says the person must have an MBA from a business accredited school (ACBSP / AACSB) that the employer will be particular that all of the coursework be from a business accredited school? If it doesn't matter particularly, should I at least try to get the accounting & finance courses from a business accredited school (Walden) versus UoP?
TESU TECEPS: Abnormal Psych PSY-350, Psych of Women PSY-270, Sales Mgmnt MAR-322, Advertising MAR-323, Marketing COM-210; Capstone w/ Ciacco
Other Sources: CLEP, Art Portfolio, 3 Comm. Colleges, 2 Art Colleges,  FEMA, AICPCU Ethics
(06-09-2019, 09:24 AM)SweetSecret Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 02:42 AM)sanantone Wrote: No one will care where you earned transfer credits; they'll only be looking at the completed degree. In reference to the business field, I could only see the origins of individual courses being an issue with boards of accountancy.

Thanks, Sanantone! 

Forgot to ask this too: 
Is there any chance that if a job requirement says the person must have an MBA from a business accredited school (ACBSP / AACSB) that the employer will be particular that all of the coursework be from a business accredited school? If it doesn't matter particularly, should I at least try to get the accounting & finance courses from a business accredited school (Walden) versus UoP?

Employers aren't that smart. They aren't going to analyze your transcripts for the sources of credits. It's rare that a job will require business accreditation. This usually only happens in academia and a very small number of federal government jobs.

A lot of organizations have the philosophy that, if a regionally accredited college awarded credit for a non-collegiate or non-RA course, then it should be up to standard.
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
I agree with Sanantone. You're about 10 steps ahead of the game by even thinking of that question. Wink

If you can get confirmation from Walden that UoPeople credits will transfer, I think that's a winning plan.
(06-09-2019, 12:44 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I agree with Sanantone.  You're about 10 steps ahead of the game by even thinking of that question. Wink

If you can get confirmation from Walden that UoPeople credits will transfer, I think that's a winning plan.

This is terrible, I know, but I have totally procrastinated getting my TESU transcript to Walden. So when I went on "leave" from classes they called it something else because I didn't have the transcript in yet to show I had earned my BA. I am not sure, based on that, how open they will be to discussing with me about transfer credits. With that said though, Walden says they accept up to 15 graduate level credits for transfer and I did notice they accept NA credits: 

"Earned and recorded on an official transcript from a school that was accredited by a regional, professional/specialized, or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or the US Department of Education at the time the course was completed, or from an appropriately accredited non-US institution."
Source: https://catalog.waldenu.edu/content.php?...void=44732

Should just try to call anyhow to verify I would be okay to take UoP classes and transfer them back in? 

It looks like I might need a "Letter of Permission" from Walden. (Source: https://catalog.waldenu.edu/content.php?...void=56727). It seems silly to need permission.
Your plan operates on two assumptions. First, that you will be able to transfer the number of credits you wish. Most graduate programs are severely limiting in this area.

Second, that the courses will be consistent with the receiving school's requirements and, thus, will be accepted for transfer. You have no idea of gauging this ahead of time. It is a gamble.
(06-14-2019, 01:05 PM)SweetSecret Wrote: This is terrible, I know, but I have totally procrastinated getting my TESU transcript to Walden. So when I went on "leave" from classes they called it something else because I didn't have the transcript in yet to show I had earned my BA. I am not sure, based on that, how open they will be to discussing with me about transfer credits. With that said though, Walden says they accept up to 15 graduate level credits for transfer and I did notice they accept NA credits: 
Should just try to call anyhow to verify I would be okay to take UoP classes and transfer them back in? 

Sure, you should go ahead and ask. The worst they can say is that they can't discuss it with you (or "No", I suppose). Secondly, I see no reason why you shouldn't go online and order that TESU transcript sent immediately so that it isn't a concern any longer.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
(06-14-2019, 01:05 PM)SweetSecret Wrote:
(06-09-2019, 12:44 PM)cookderosa Wrote: I agree with Sanantone.  You're about 10 steps ahead of the game by even thinking of that question. Wink

This is terrible, I know, but I have totally procrastinated getting my TESU transcript to Walden. So when I went on "leave" from classes they called it something else because I didn't have the transcript in yet to show I had earned my BA. I am not sure, based on that, how open they will be to discussing with me about transfer credits. With that said though, Walden says they accept up to 15 graduate level credits for transfer and I did notice they accept NA credits: 

"Earned and recorded on an official transcript from a school that was accredited by a regional, professional/specialized, or national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or the US Department of Education at the time the course was completed, or from an appropriately accredited non-US institution."
Source: https://catalog.waldenu.edu/content.php?...void=44732

It looks like I might need a "Letter of Permission" from Walden. (Source: https://catalog.waldenu.edu/content.php?...void=56727). It seems silly to need permission.

Send in your TESU transcript first. That clears you for their MBA program.
As for transfer, it doesn't matter what MOST colleges do or don't do, it only matters what THIS college does. University of the People is accredited by Distance Education Accrediting Commission, which is recognized by US Dept of Ed- a stipulation that Walden sets forth.
Have you decided about pursuing Walden if they don't accept University of the People credits? If they don't, will you simply move forward at University of the People? If you're NOT going to move forward at Walden if they don't take UoP credit, then my vote is to begin your degree at UoP anyway. Separate and apart from Walden, you are asking a hypothetical question, and my experience is that colleges tend to err on the side of conservative in hypotheticals. Once you have a semester's worth of credit from UoP, sending in your transcript for a real evaluation (at Walden and others) makes you an actual prospective transfer student, and in that case, they will want you much more than someone who is only a prospective applicant.
I am planning on sticking with Walden long-term. I'll request the transcript be sent over again. Walden had some way to request it from TESU where I wasn't going to have to pay the fee. I did have to fill out some paperwork but TESU you never sent the transcript Walden, so I guess I'm going to have to go the traditional route to request it. I mostly want to stick with Walden though because it's the only MBA program I've seen with a concentration in social entrepreneurship.
[-] The following 1 user Likes SweetSecret's post:
  • cookderosa

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Does WGU grading hinder jobs/further education? delightfulwilderness 5 1,951 10-22-2021, 09:02 PM
Last Post: xspect