Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAU MCIT
(09-04-2020, 11:35 AM)nomaduser Wrote: So, how fast can you finish this program? and how much does it cost?

Competency based programs take as long as you make them take. It's all up to you. You can complete everything in a week or 2 years. It all depends on how much time you devote to it along with your general knowledge and previous experience.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • nomaduser
(09-05-2020, 12:10 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(09-04-2020, 11:35 AM)nomaduser Wrote: So, how fast can you finish this program? and how much does it cost?

Competency based programs take as long as you make them take. It's all up to you. You can complete everything in a week or 2 years. It all depends on how much time you devote to it along with your general knowledge and previous experience.

How does that work though? can I really complete it in a week? that sounds like a deal ;P
(09-05-2020, 12:22 PM)nomaduser Wrote:
(09-05-2020, 12:10 PM)ss20ts Wrote:

How does that work though? can I really complete it in a week? that sounds like a deal ;P

Complete a degree in a week? Highly doubtful. In my program, you have the course concepts and there are dozens of them to go through along with the quizzes which you must score an 80 on before moving to the next concept. The final assessment is a final exam, paper, or project. The papers and projects are big 11-16 pages and 15-20 pages for my first 2 classes. Doubtful you could complete the 30 required credits in a week. I plan on completing my 30 credits in 16 weeks. That's my goal. I have to complete 5 courses per 8 week term. So far I am ahead of schedule. I hope to stay ahead of schedule. I also am not working a full time job so I am doing school 30+ hours a week. It's been closer to 30 hours a week during August because of our vacations and weekend trips. Trying to enjoy some of summer. Once it gets cold, I will be working far more on school closer to 50 or more hours a week.
Just as I expected, I'm moving slower than I originally anticipated. Just finishing up the first course, with an essay and post-project pending. Still, I actually like the program! For those who aren't the biggest fans of writing, I reached out to the professor about submitting a proof-of-concept software project rather than an essay and he was fine with that.
BS in Data Science & Analytics and BA in Computer Science and Mathematics at TESU (June 2019 to June 2020)
In-progress:
MS in Cybersecurity at NYU (January 2021 to December 2022?)
MCIT in Information Security and Assurance at NAU (September 2020 to March 2021)
(09-27-2020, 04:51 PM)amaquiling Wrote: Just as I expected, I'm moving slower than I originally anticipated. Just finishing up the first course, with an essay and post-project pending. Still, I actually like the program! For those who aren't the biggest fans of writing, I reached out to the professor about submitting a proof-of-concept software project rather than an essay and he was fine with that.

Hello. Could you give us an update? How far along are you in the program? Also I sent you a PM.
(09-03-2020, 10:38 PM)amaquiling Wrote: Hi all! It's been a while since I've created a new thread. I figured it would be a good idea to document my progress since I started the NAU MCIT with a focus on Information Security & Assurance last week. AFAIK no one has done this program here, so why not?

I already made my first blunder-- I thought each section of the lessons required both a 300-word discussion post AND a 1000-word essay. I was regretting it because there were 4 lessons in the first course and that would have been a LOT of writing.

Buuut turns out it's discussion OR essay... missed that in the course information section. And did not realize til I did both for the first section. On the bright side, I caught it early on! At least it seems a lot less intimidating now Tongue

Hello.

Could you tell me how the program is going for you? I would like to know a bit more so is it possible for us to communicate over discord?
(09-27-2020, 04:51 PM)amaquiling Wrote: Just as I expected, I'm moving slower than I originally anticipated. Just finishing up the first course, with an essay and post-project pending. Still, I actually like the program! For those who aren't the biggest fans of writing, I reached out to the professor about submitting a proof-of-concept software project rather than an essay and he was fine with that.

and please let us know if you were able to finish the master's degree in 6 months.
I've been working as python and java programmer. I'm curious if I can finish the entire degree within that 6 months. Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it difficult to apply for nau's MCIT(competency-based)? qiaoyiren 3 1,055 03-24-2021, 04:04 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  NAU MCIT Graduates Sdmj33 6 1,325 03-03-2021, 09:07 PM
Last Post: qiaoyiren
  Got accepted in upenn online mcit with my tesu bachelor posabsolute 15 16,771 04-29-2019, 08:21 AM
Last Post: posabsolute
  NAU Personalized Learning MCIT - Computer Information Technology - Slack Group posabsolute 3 2,580 09-03-2018, 05:02 PM
Last Post: mic