Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NAU - Northern Arizona University. Has anyone attended there?
I am curious about NAU.  When I tried to search the forum, not much will come up because you can’t search for a “word” with 3 characters.   I have been seeing a lot about UMPI lately.  And of course the Big 3.  But I would like to know more about NAU, if anyone has first hand experience.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview
(05-18-2021, 12:38 PM)Vle045 Wrote: I am curious about NAU.  When I tried to search the forum, not much will come up because you can’t search for a “word” with 3 characters.   I have been seeing a lot about UMPI lately.  And of course the Big 3.  But I would like to know more about NAU, if anyone has first hand experience.

I cannot help with NAU but I can help with your search issue.

Use Google and type "site:degreeforum.net NAU" or substitute any other search term for NAU and you may have some luck with what you seek.   I find this far better than the built in search on this forum.   I just tried it and see several links with results for NAU.   Big Grin
West Virginia University at Parkersburg, Associate of Applied Science, Board of Governors program

Traditional College Credits (RA):
15 Credits

ALEKS & CSM Learn:
12 Credits

Straighterline:  
15 Credits

Sophia:
38 Credits
Total from All Sources:
80 Credits
[-] The following 1 user Likes NC Coach's post:
  • ss20ts
(05-18-2021, 01:13 PM)NC Coach Wrote:
(05-18-2021, 12:38 PM)Vle045 Wrote: I am curious about NAU.  When I tried to search the forum, not much will come up because you can’t search for a “word” with 3 characters.   I have been seeing a lot about UMPI lately.  And of course the Big 3.  But I would like to know more about NAU, if anyone has first hand experience.

I cannot help with NAU but I can help with your search issue.

Use Google and type "site:degreeforum.net NAU" or substitute any other search term for NAU and you may have some luck with what you seek.   I find this far better than the built in search on this forum.   I just tried it and see several links with results for NAU.   Big Grin
I was going to say just that. There have been a few members on the forum that were going for NAU's MCIT. From what I've gathered, NAU includes a lot of writing when compared to a school like WGU.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
The MCIT is a graduate degree. Graduate degrees are well known for a great deal of writing.
Yeah, but if you're going for a technical degree then you might prefer one that has projects instead of papers. Those do exist.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I did a few courses there, PM me if you have any questions.
(07-06-2021, 06:05 PM)000 Wrote: I did a few courses there, PM me if you have any questions.

Thanks.  I talked to an advisor there.  I REALLY like what I have heard.  I don’t know if other competency based programs are the same, but it really sounds very do-able.  Open-book post test, a discussion or essay, and what was the one other thing?  I think it was three things, then the optional mastery…
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)

For those who stumble on this thread later, I just found out about https://jackspath.nau.edu/ to see how your undergraduate credits will transfer to NAU.

They have Sophia in the DB but they only have 4 courses listed: English Comp I, Art History, Approaches to Studying Religions, and Project Management. Only Approaches to Studying Religions and Project Management are worth credits. The others are not.

You apparently can't CLEP out of English Comp either. College Composition is only worth TWO credits, even with a max score of 80.

Study.com is not in the database at all.

If you still want to go to NAU, skip Sophia & SDC. Use the tool & NAU's degree information page to figure out which CLEP exams to take. Use ModernStates to get the exams for free.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(07-08-2021, 12:17 PM)rachel83az Wrote: For those who stumble on this thread later, I just found out about https://jackspath.nau.edu/ to see how your undergraduate credits will transfer to NAU.

They have Sophia in the DB but they only have 4 courses listed: English Comp I, Art History, Approaches to Studying Religions, and Project Management. Only Approaches to Studying Religions and Project Management are worth credits. The others are not.

You apparently can't CLEP out of English Comp either. College Composition is only worth TWO credits, even with a max score of 80.

Study.com is not in the database at all.

If you still want to go to NAU, skip Sophia & SDC. Use the tool & NAU's degree information page to figure out which CLEP exams to take. Use ModernStates to get the exams for free.

What is even easier than that site is to simply email the admissions folks.  They will actually fully review unofficial transcripts and show you what will transfer.  And if you really think somehting *should* transfer, your advisor can try to get that accepted for you.   Since most of my credits are OLD, the site wasn’t much help.  But as it turned out, pretty much everything would transfer.  But I don’t have any CLEP and my few ACE weren’t really applicable.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 

They still have the old, expired, outdated ACP (Alternative Credit Project) listed on their website, which is odd. But it shows that they'll probably take other ACE courses - they'll take Straighterline, Pearson (no longer exists as an option), JumpCourse (no longer exists), Ed4Credit (no longer exists), and 1 Sophia course.

This leads me to believe that they will take more, but I really wish someone would get up to date there and realize that ACP is dead and buried, and update their website with some current info.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of the People Experiences ashkir 61 10,234 04-08-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 7,480 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Lifestyle Prescriptions University ADC2305 2 332 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ADC2305
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 406 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 5,974 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,626 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 751 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 437 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Liberty University indigoshuffle 8 893 01-16-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Texas A&M University-Commerce competency based degree goldendoodle101 61 15,531 12-14-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77