Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help with BA Business plan
I'm wanting to earn a business degree.

I need a degree for a promotion at work I'll be eligible for in a year so I'm hoping it's humanly possible to complete by then.

Budget: I have a max of $7K saved up but qualify for Pell and will take out student loans if absolutely necessary. I'd like to go the cheapest route possible, but will consider spending more for easy and fast.  
Commitments: Just my work and my pets. I currently work full time and can work on my studies part time or in the evenings/weekends.
Dedicated time to study: I think I can fit in at least 20 hours a week, maybe a bit more. My weekends are entirely free but I'm stuck late at work a few times during the week.
Timeline: I need a degree for a promotion at work I'll be eligible for in a year so I'm hoping it's humanly possible to complete by then. I'd also have more and better job prospects with a degree, so faster is better.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: My job doesn't have tuition reimbursement.

I'm not a great test taker but I'm worse at writing long papers, so tests are preferable. I understand writing is part of most degrees, though I would likely do best in a program with more tests and less writing.

Most of my credits are from 15 years ago. Is there any issue with old credits transferring?

Degree: business
Current RA credits: 39
Current Sophia credits: 6

Antelope Valley College classes, all 3 credits

intro to computers D
intro to criminal justice C
intro to criminology B
intro to policing A
principals of criminal investigation B
intro to substance abuse D
american national politics C
intro to psychology C
intro to sociology C

University of Nevada, all 3 credits

world regional geography C
fundamentals of speech, B
western civilization II B
film appreciation C

Sophia

Environmental Science
Intro to Web Development
Welcome to the board, there are a few things missing in your post.  My suggestion is to follow this thread and answer all the info that's missing in the last post of the thread. We want the basic details on top and the refined info at the bottom, this gives us a better idea of your situation. I'll respond once we get more details from you.  Cheers for now! https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(05-23-2022, 02:53 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Welcome to the board, there are a few things missing in your post.  My suggestion is to follow this thread and answer all the info that's missing in the last post of the thread. We want the basic details on top and the refined info at the bottom, this gives us a better idea of your situation. I'll respond once we get more details from you.  Cheers for now! https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works

Thanks for the link. My apologies for the noob mistake. I've updated my post and think I have it right now.
The last portion hasn't been updated.  Can you modify this and edit it with your details?

Update: In addition to the basic template above... It may be a good idea to expand the information you provide us to include the following, this will provide some insight into your particular situation.  We can either recommend the alternative test-out options COSC, EC (soon to be EU), TESU or competency based education providers such as PUG, UMG (UMASS Global - formerly Brandman), UMPI, WGU or another institution.

Budget: I have a max of $10K saved up.  I'd like to go the cheapest route possible, but will consider spending more for easy and fast.  
Commitments: Honestly, just kids/spouse and my pets. I currently work full time and can work on my studies part time or in the evenings/weekends.
Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed during the night or weekends as long as my schedule is free. I estimate at least 3 hours every week night and on the weekends, maybe 6 hours, total would be roughly 15+12=27 hours or slightly more.
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish within 1-1.5 years (12-18 months)
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: Yes, my workplace partners with ABC XYZ university, I get free tuition for undergrad and half off for grad studies!

Please provide any relevant details you may have that may help us determine a option or path for you to investigate, such as your preference towards either test-out (you're a great test taker) or competency based education (because you like assessments, assignments and have test anxiety).  What other details you provide us can help determine your course of action suited for your educational journey...

(05-23-2022, 03:20 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: The last portion hasn't been updated.  Can you modify this and edit it with your details?

Update: In addition to the basic template above... It may be a good idea to expand the information you provide us to include the following, this will provide some insight into your particular situation.  We can either recommend the alternative test-out options COSC, EC (soon to be EU), TESU or competency based education providers such as PUG, UMG (UMASS Global - formerly Brandman), UMPI, WGU or another institution.

Budget: I have a max of $10K saved up.  I'd like to go the cheapest route possible, but will consider spending more for easy and fast.  
Commitments: Honestly, just kids/spouse and my pets. I currently work full time and can work on my studies part time or in the evenings/weekends.
Dedicated time to study: I can study as much as is needed during the night or weekends as long as my schedule is free. I estimate at least 3 hours every week night and on the weekends, maybe 6 hours, total would be roughly 15+12=27 hours or slightly more.
Timeline: Finishing the courses required for the degree as fast as possible would be ideal.  I would like to finish within 1-1.5 years (12-18 months)
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: Yes, my workplace partners with ABC XYZ university, I get free tuition for undergrad and half off for grad studies!

Please provide any relevant details you may have that may help us determine a option or path for you to investigate, such as your preference towards either test-out (you're a great test taker) or competency based education (because you like assessments, assignments and have test anxiety).  What other details you provide us can help determine your course of action suited for your educational journey...

Thanks so much for the direction. I updated and believe it's all fixed.
For cost, ease, speed, and to max out the 90 credit transfer, my first choice would be UMPI, you can take your time and get all the credits transferred over and complete at least 10 courses from them. My suggestion is to do the BLS with a couple or triple minor, you can do so by following this thread and spreadsheet: Here's a thread with a plan, you may want to follow exactly that or customize it to your own.  I would read this post and the post#29 after it: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid365771

Another option is, Big 3 if you want max of 113/114 credits and only work on the Cornerstone, Capstone, Info Lit courses from them. The bulk of the courses would be done through ACE providers. TESU has ACBSP and has more areas of study to select from if it interests you... Excelsior/TESU would be easier, faster, but you'll pay more for that, they both take NCCRS credits and you can use some courses towards the requirements. COSC is a bit more restrictive on what they now take in as transfer, but you still can transfer in 114 credits.

Here are some options, based on what you're bringing in:

TESU BSBA (Option 1)
Tuition: $6654 for 6cr, you need to bring in 69cr (they will take all of your previous credits)
You'll need English Comp I & II, College Algebra, Ethics, Science
Fin Acct, Man Acct, Business Law, Prin of Mgmt, Prin of Mkt, Macroecon, Microecon, Stats, Finance (UL or LL), Business Comm (UL or LL), Int'l Bus (UL or LL), then 4 UL and 2 LL business courses covering 3 out of 4 areas.

TESU BSBA (Option 2)
Tuition: $4639 for FT/FR; do a single 16cr term, explained in wiki

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EC
Tuition: $4031 for 7cr, you need to bring in 75cr (they will take all of your previous credits except the D grades)
You'll need English Comp I & II, Business Ethics, College Algebra, Business Stats, Macroecon, Microecon, 1 add'l liberal arts course, and 8cr of free electives
Fin Acct, Man Acct, Business Law, Computers, Prin of Mgmt, Prin of Mkt, Finance (UL), Business Comm, Int'l Bus (UL), Organizational Behavior (UL), Quantitative Analysis (UL Uexcel exam) then 2 UL and 1 LL business courses

UMPI
Tuition: $1400/8wk term, should take 2-3 terms (generally) to complete
you need to bring in 52cr (they will take all of your previous credits except the D grades)

Bring in:
Ethics, College Algebra, Stats, Spanish, Biology w/Lab
Intro to Business, Fin Acct, Man Acct, Business Law, MIS, Macroecon, Microecon, Business Comm

Take at UMPI
English Comp I & II
Creative Decision Making

Then you'll need to decide on your concentration, and map out 21cr more to take at UMPI, and take the rest through Study.com.

I'm going to guess that UMPI will be your fastest and cheapest.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
With a full Pell Grant, UMPI is basically free. In fact, they might send you a check if the tuition is less than the Pell Grant.

For TESU the Pell Grant doesn't cover the $3200 residency fee. Depending on if you do the flat-rate term, your total out-of-pocket expenses could be from $3000-$5000.

Study.com has a discount that is $140 for the 1st 3 months. Sophia is $99 a month.

Your expenses for alternative credit should be around $500-$1000.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • allvia
Don't let papers at UMPI scare you, it is a school that offers you the ability to submit a draft for review before final submission. - https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...THE-DRAFTS
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

Thank you all so much for all your help and guidance. I'm strongly leaning towards UMPI, especially with their drafts option.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micromist's post:
  • allvia

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tips on how I can best plan my future Mems88 5 577 04-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Degree Plan Advice dm.hans32 9 622 04-18-2024, 07:06 AM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  SNHU BS Data Analytics course plan, advice? sole13 8 243 04-17-2024, 02:03 PM
Last Post: sole13
  Teaching plan? Piwi737 9 372 04-07-2024, 10:32 PM
  Review my plan for UMPI Psychology Major & Educational Studies Minor - Please :) RachelB 11 1,089 04-07-2024, 04:10 PM
Last Post: RachelB
  Need some advice on my plan jobojoe285 3 217 03-29-2024, 09:16 PM
  BACS BSCIS plan guidance LAMi 23 568 03-25-2024, 09:11 PM
  UMPI BABA Management & Leadership Plan Questions Aurelijus 10 547 03-21-2024, 05:09 PM
  UMPI plan iggym32 3 280 03-20-2024, 05:52 PM
  Critique and Advice on Plan for Computer Science BA from TESU aseneca 6 480 03-19-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy