Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NMJC vs UNE Science Prereqs?
I'd rather take everything in one or two places. Clovis seems to have everything I need LL except for Biology I, unless I am reading the course catalogue wrong. Are either of these the right one for my goals?
BIOL 113 - Biology for General Ed / Lab
BIOL 115 - Human Biology and Lab

I have this as a progression/course plan to fit 95% of the requirements of a PA application (CASPA/Direct)

Course Progression
Semester 1
Clovis: General Bio I & Lab - ???
Clovis: General Chemistry I & Lab - CHEM 151
Clovis: Statistics

Semester 2
UNE: General Chemistry II & Lab – CHEM 1011
Clovis: Anatomy and Physiology I & Lab – BIOL 211
Clovis: Microbiology & Lab – BIOL 222

Semester 3
Clovis: Anatomy and Physiology II & Lab – BIOL 212
UNE: Genetics Lecture & Lab – BIOL 1040
UNE: Organic Chemistry I & Lab – CHEM 1020
UNE: Possible/Optional: Biochemistry – CHEM 1005
Ah, I just saw your other thread. Yeah, NMJC, Clovis, and Luna or some of the New Mexico colleges may offer online science courses. Each semester has 8 or 16 weeks...
Up Next: NationsU, BRS & MTS (Deciding on ACBSP Masters Program)
Done: TESU ASNSM Biology, ASBA/BSBA (ACBSP Accredited in 2017)

2018 BALS and BSBA Spreadsheet using mainly SL/Study.com (post# 28)
DegreeForum's Community-Supported Wiki

Review Beginners Guide sticky for info on TESU BALS/BSBA in 4 months (post #16)
Note: Read Wiki guide links for TESU equivalency - CLEP/DSST/SL/Study.com, etc
Also, not sure if it was mentioned but I believe the UNE courses are asynchronous / self-paced.
TESU AA & BALS Humanities (117 / 120) (158.5 Total) Capstone In Prog. / September '18
PTCC AAS BOG Graduating August '18
Post-baccalaureate Sciences
MCAT
Medical School
Physician Shadowing: Emergency Medicine - 50H, Family Medicine- 25H
Clinical Hours:
75H

ΛΑΕ

(02-13-2018, 11:17 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: I'd rather take everything in one or two places. Clovis seems to have everything I need LL except for Biology I, unless I am reading the course catalogue wrong. Are either of these the right one for my goals?

I have this as a progression/course plan to fit 95% of the requirements of a PA application (CASPA/Direct)

Course Progression
Semester 1

Semester 2

Semester 3

If I were in your shoes, I'd do a few things differently.
(1) taking chem 1 from a different school than chem 2 is very very risky. There will probably be holes in your scope and sequence, it is unlikely that they will match perfectly.
(2) you're missing biology 2 - which you need for sure. Preferably before you start A&P sequence.
(3) biochemistry is sometimes called Organic Chemistry II, so I see it's optional, but you really wouldn't take it simultaneously with orgo 1, you'd take it after.
(4) while I think you would be better off mentally and emotionally to STAY AWAY from the student doc network/forum, thta was where I built my sequence- I think the consensus is usually that 4 semesters is about as tight as you can do it realistically BUT you could find some short semesters and accelerate the process. For instance, Fall 1 and Fall 2 (6-8 weeks each) as opposed to just the full fall (12-16) week semester. Finally, you can do summer sessions, which are shorter too.
Jennifer
10-year member

The dream is free.  Hard work sold separately.  

MS Nutrition, 2014 Canisius College, Buffalo, NY
BA Social Science, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
AA General Studies, 2008 Thomas Edison State University, Trenton, NJ
AOS Culinary Arts,1990 Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY

Homeschooling for College Credit (blog)
Homeschooling for College Credit (book)
(02-17-2018, 08:46 AM)cookderosa Wrote:
(02-13-2018, 11:17 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: I'd rather take everything in one or two places. Clovis seems to have everything I need LL except for Biology I, unless I am reading the course catalogue wrong. Are either of these the right one for my goals?

Course Progression
Semester 1

Semester 2

Semester 3

(1) taking chem 1 from a different school than chem 2 is very very risky.  There will probably be holes in your scope and sequence, it is unlikely that they will match perfectly.
(2) you're missing biology 2 - which you need for sure. Preferably before you start A&P sequence.
(3) biochemistry is sometimes called Organic Chemistry II, so I see it's optional, but you really wouldn't take it simultaneously with orgo 1, you'd take it after.  
(4)  while I think you would be better off mentally and emotionally to STAY AWAY from the student doc network/forum, thta was where I built my sequence- I think the consensus is usually that 4 semesters is about as tight as you can do it realistically BUT you could find some short semesters and accelerate the process. For instance, Fall 1 and Fall 2 (6-8 weeks each) as opposed to just the full fall (12-16) week semester.   Finally, you can do summer sessions, which are shorter too.

Thanks I appreciate it. You're making a lot of sense! I've edited the schedule a bit. I will need to find a place to do Semester 1 that will match with Semester 2 for the sequential courses. Thoughts? I also have to make sure the place I take BIO will let me enroll without Chem first. Otherwise this is a cluster.

Semester 1
General Biology I & Lab
General Chemistry I & Lab
Statistics

Semester 2
Biology 2 & Lab
CHEM 1B: General Chemistry II & Lab
Rio Salado - BIOL 211: Anatomy and Physiology I & Lab

Semester 3
LBCC - BIO 2: General Microbiology
LBCC - CHEM 12A: Organic Chemistry
UNE - BIOL 1040: Genetics Lecture & Lab
Rio Salado - BIOL 212: Anatomy and Physiology II & Lab

Semester 4
UNE CHEM 1005: Biochemistry
(02-17-2018, 05:26 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote:

Course Progression
Semester 1

Semester 2

Semester 3

(1) taking chem 1 from a different school than chem 2 is very very risky. There will probably be holes in your scope and sequence, it is unlikely that they will match perfectly.
(4) while I think you would be better off mentally and emotionally to STAY AWAY from the student doc network/forum, thta was where I built my sequence- I think the consensus is usually that 4 semesters is about as tight as you can do it realistically BUT you could find some short semesters and accelerate the process. For instance, Fall 1 and Fall 2 (6-8 weeks each) as opposed to just the full fall (12-16) week semester. Finally, you can do summer sessions, which are shorter too.

Thanks I appreciate it. You're making a lot of sense! I've edited the schedule a bit. I will need to find a place to do Semester 1 that will match with Semester 2 for the sequential courses. Thoughts? I also have to make sure the place I take BIO will let me enroll without Chem first. Otherwise this is a cluster.

Semester 1
General Biology I & Lab
Statistics

Semester 2
Biology 2 & Lab

Semester 3

Semester 4

if your head doesn't explode during semester 3, you'll be all set Wink
This may not even be an issue, but when I looked several years ago, it was easier to find part 1 in fall and part 2 in spring- it was HARD to find part 1 in spring and part 2 in summer, etc. So if you have the option, you may want semester 1 to be a fall start. (That may no longer be a barrier)
PS did you see the list of Berkley Extension courses I posted on your other thread? I can't remember it now....
Jennifer
10-year member

I did yes, however they told me at USC that these courses specifically won't work for them. I guess they are familiar with the Extension service and said I'd need to try a different college/Uni.

And you're right, I am concerned about finding a start in Spring for I, but my plan right now is to try to find an 8 weeker BIO 1 starting ASAP that also has a BIO 2 available both online. Ocean has one starting soon. Still juggling things around.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cheeseburrito's post:
  • cookderosa
(02-17-2018, 09:11 PM)Cheeseburrito Wrote: I did yes, however they told me at USC that these courses specifically won't work for them. I guess they are familiar with the Extension service and said I'd need to try a different college/Uni.

And you're right, I am concerned about finding a start in Spring for I, but my plan right now is to try to find an 8 weeker BIO 1 starting ASAP that also has a BIO 2 available both online. Ocean has one starting soon. Still juggling things around.

You need to find out *why* the Berkeley courses are a no-go. That's exceptionally interesting, and you need to dig on that one.
Jennifer
10-year member

Cheeseburrito

Course Progression
Semester 1

Semester 2

Semester 3

(1) taking chem 1 from a different school than chem 2 is very very risky.  There will probably be holes in your scope and sequence, it is unlikely that they will match perfectly.
(4)  while I think you would be better off mentally and emotionally to STAY AWAY from the student doc network/forum, thta was where I built my sequence- I think the consensus is usually that 4 semesters is about as tight as you can do it realistically BUT you could find some short semesters and accelerate the process. For instance, Fall 1 and Fall 2 (6-8 weeks each) as opposed to just the full fall (12-16) week semester.   Finally, you can do summer sessions, which are shorter too.

Semester 1
General Biology I & Lab
Statistics

Semester 2
Biology 2 & Lab

Semester 3

Semester 4

Can you send me a link to the Clovis courses? For some reason I can't find those courses.Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Guide: Science Credit or Not? eriehiker 1 174 04-30-2018, 10:23 AM
Last Post: cookderosa
  PierPont BOG A.A.S, Science and Math Class's Life_One 13 730 04-21-2018, 12:20 AM
Last Post: Life_One
  Computer Science announced at WGU bluebooger 13 2,447 04-02-2018, 09:28 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Coursera & University of London partner for Online Computer Science Bachelor's CornerMeetScissors 2 375 03-15-2018, 01:08 PM
Last Post: jsd
  GED: Science College Ready TESU Equivalence? eriehiker 2 205 02-04-2018, 02:23 AM
Last Post: eriehiker
  ASNSM in Computer Science TESU (Or other) Plan? burbuja0512 15 610 01-30-2018, 02:55 PM
Last Post: Ideas
  Excelsior- Bachelor of Science in Liberal Arts leon2017 61 6,406 01-29-2018, 10:30 PM
Last Post: leon2017
  1 credit science lab in 10 days magflo 3 525 11-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Natural Science Clep Tictac 15 1,617 10-18-2017, 02:54 PM
Last Post: miodstef
  Science Classes "With Lab" requirements? walkingbyfaith 10 1,356 08-27-2017, 11:39 PM
Last Post: cookderosa