Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NWCU School of Law now Accredited by the State Bar of California (sister forum post)
I just saw this post by user Garp at our sister forum:

I am not sure what this means other than students not having to take the Baby Bar anymore but Northwestern California University School of Law is now accredited by the Committee of Bar Examiners of the State Bar of California.

Tuition is 2,850 a year. Practice outside of California is in most (?) cases limited to the Federal Courts. Although, I wonder if Zoom has opened up the ability to practice in California at a distance. I believe with a law license from California (admitted to the Bar) you can apply to practice in some Canadian Provinces and in the UK.

https://nwculaw.edu/school-information/o...reditation

What is the general opinion of the forum about this school/degree? I think that a J.D. for that kind of money is a pretty good investment, even if it has some restrictions, still great if you are in the private sector.

Is anybody doing this degree?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dee12's post:
  • Leedeedee
If one is especially self-starting, and one has no intention of being hired by an existing law firm, and instead is interested in being a solo practitioner or the like, and one is in California, then this can be a great option. Otherwise, perhaps not so much.
BS, Information Systems concentration, Charter Oak State College
MA in Educational Technology Leadership, George Washington University
18 doctoral level semester-hours in Business Administration, Baker College
In progress: EdD in Educational Leadership, Manhattanville College

More at https://stevefoerster.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteveFoerster's post:
  • LongRoad
(08-27-2020, 10:11 AM)SteveFoerster Wrote: If one is especially self-starting, and one has no intention of being hired by an existing law firm, and instead is interested in being a solo practitioner or the like, and one is in California, then this can be a great option. Otherwise, perhaps not so much.
Does this mean it will qualify for H1B visa for education requirement.
(02-14-2021, 04:17 PM)BlackJeans Wrote:
(08-27-2020, 10:11 AM)SteveFoerster Wrote: If one is especially self-starting, and one has no intention of being hired by an existing law firm, and instead is interested in being a solo practitioner or the like, and one is in California, then this can be a great option. Otherwise, perhaps not so much.

Not accredited under the authority of the federal DOE so my guess is no.
(02-15-2021, 10:13 AM)Old Guy Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 04:17 PM)BlackJeans Wrote:

Not accredited under the authority of the federal DOE so my guess is no.

I think you are right.
I have researched the USCIS rejection letters, and acceptance of education accreditation body are based on either CHEA or DOE or both.
The issue of state accreditation being sufficient will probably never come to light until someone be the first one to apply for H1B visa or perhaps TN visa.
Although I suspect that, applicant for either visa can still bypass the requirement with state bar license as stipulated in the requirements.
I think it is also a for-profit school. Unless this changed under the prior administration, degrees from for-profit schools do not meet the H1B requirement.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)

Great analysis!
As you said too much IF for most people.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 873 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,840 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  My Duke Student Blog Post ThatBankDude 1 227 03-04-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,339 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,274 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,244 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  SUNY Buffalo State : 15 credits transfer Msc Multidisciplinary Studies durain 6 1,077 11-17-2023, 05:23 PM
  South Ural State Univesity - Russia Online Master durain 9 992 11-16-2023, 07:56 AM
Last Post: durain
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,347 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Emporia State MBA IS & MSIT - AACSB Dual Degree bjcheung77 2 1,468 10-15-2023, 12:57 AM