Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NYC Teacher CLEP Redemption Question
Currently at 24 CLEP Credits. I basically ran through all the tests that were on the easier side and that I had any interest in. At this point I’m down to natural sciences. It’s actually a subject I’m interested in. My concern is that it’s six credits and not three. All the other tests I took were 3. I’m worried that the geniuses in administration won’t count it as six or understand that a CLEP test can be more than 3. Is that a logical fear?
Ask the geniuses in administration.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
(02-27-2019, 08:58 PM)clep3705 Wrote: Ask the geniuses in administration.

The geniuses make themselves very unreachable. The whole system is completely automated.
The Ace "recommendation" is for 6 credits. If they, for whatever reason, refuse to accept the recommendation of 6 credits and instead only award 3, then you could always do another.
WGU BSIT Complete January 2022
(77CU transferred in)(44/44CU ) 

RA(non WGU)(57cr)
JST/TESU Eval of NAVY Training(85/99cr)
The Institutes, TEEX, NFA(9cr): Ethics, Cyber 101/201/301, Safety
Sophia(60cr): 23 classes
Study.com(31cr): Eng105, Fin102, His108, LibSci101, Math104, Stat101, CS107, CS303, BUS107
CLEP(9cr): Intro Sociology 63 Intro Psych 61 US GOV 71
OD(12cr): Robotics, Cyber, Programming, Microecon
CSM(3cr)
Various IT/Cybersecurity Certifications from: CompTIA, Google, Microsoft, AWS, GIAC, LPI, IBM
CS Fund. MicroBachelor(3cr)
[-] The following 1 user Likes MNomadic's post:
  • cookderosa
It depends on the school. Several won't take Natural Sciences at all, much less for 6 credits.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Those geniuses don’t even have to accept any CLEP exams at all. It’s completely up to each individual school. Even schools within the same State system can have differing score requirements, credits allowed per test, and exams accepted. Theoretically, a school could require a score of 79 and only award 1 credit for a language exam.

More concerning is the fact that you find yourself in an automated system with no ability to reach a live genius. How do you know the program even accepts CLEP?

I’m only half joking, but if you can’t speak to the equivalent of a registrar to find out how much a CLEP is worth, how do you find out any information at all? Your best bet would be to check the catalog, if available and hope for the best.

Really, it sounds like you might need a change of scenery if the program is that much of a black box. Just my two cents.
IN-PROGRESS:
???

MAYBE:
Texas A&M University-Commerce - BGS

COMPLETED:
Southeast Tourism Society - TMP (02/2020)
Pierpont Community and Technical College - AAS BOG, AOE: English (12/2018)
FEMA - PDS Certificate (04/30/2014)
GED (11/16/2004)
[-] The following 3 users Like Tedium's post:
  • alexf.1990, hsfamfun, sanantone
Look on their website and see if they accept CLEP exams at all, and what they come in as. Usually schools have a webpage or pdf on there that will show which CLEP exams they accept, what area they will work in, and how many credits they'll give.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(02-27-2019, 08:52 PM)dmatukian Wrote: Currently at 24 CLEP Credits. I basically ran through all the tests that were on the easier side and that I had any interest in. At this point I’m down to natural sciences. It’s actually a subject I’m interested in. My concern is that it’s six credits and not three. All the other tests I took were 3. I’m worried that the geniuses in administration won’t count it as six or understand that a CLEP test can be more than 3. Is that a logical fear?

So it's a distinction without a difference, but CLEP isn't technically college credit- it's potential college credit that is reviewed by someone who then decides if it is college credit. Typically, that someone is a college- so if ABC College decides your CLEP Natural Science exam is worth 2 college credits, it's worth 2. If they decide it's worth 12, then it's worth 12.
So, since I don't know who is reviewing your credits, it's hard to guess what method they'll use. If they are a college, they'll more than likely use the method of looking up the credit values in the ACE database and using those (not always but it's a good bet). Using the ACE database isn't required though, it's just one way... the other could be flipping a coin.
The reason people here can plow through zillions of CLEP or ACE credits with ease is that they are sending their credits to a school that has a very clear review and acceptance policy. We know that at XYZ College, a certain CLEP = specific credits that count for a specific class.
Unless someone here has specifically tested the same exam as you and sent it to the same admin as you, it's just a guess.

It's not bad advice to do some recon before you start, but you're here, so just buckle down and do your best. Whatever argument/document you're using to ask for CLEP credit for the other exams should work fine for this one too.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RBA degree question Jennr2z 19 3,027 12-14-2023, 04:50 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Question about BYU Independent Study Amberlinjeanne 4 1,222 09-05-2023, 06:47 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  AP, CLEP, IB, vs others - Comparison/Example bjcheung77 0 474 08-11-2023, 12:12 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Alternative Teacher Licensure rlw74 10 1,510 02-08-2023, 08:37 PM
Last Post: hennygrean
  EdX MicroBachelors letter grade question cardiacclep 3 593 12-28-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Transferology question - how to find ACE and NCCRS? katsiki 4 526 10-09-2022, 01:37 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Question about Transferring Credits Nelson Lin 3 714 09-17-2022, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Alpha
  AP, CLEP, etc - Credit Banking on Credly bjcheung77 2 1,802 09-02-2022, 12:16 PM
Last Post: vintage_jacket
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 2 1,139 08-24-2022, 03:41 PM
Last Post: sparkling
  combine CLEP & ACTFL? defmo 5 831 08-05-2022, 08:58 PM
Last Post: dfrecore