Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NYU School of Professional Studies
Has anyone here taken an online course from NYU? I am looking for a good online program to do the thirty credits I need to sit for the CPA exam, and NYU School of Professional Studies has an Accounting Certificate.

Also, is it credit based? I need to take at least six credits in a semester to qualify for a student loan.
A.A. General Studies- TESC, 2013
B.A. History, TESC, 2014 - Arnold Fletcher Award - 4.0 GPA
M.A. Government, Security Studies - Johns Hopkins University, Class of 2018.

Straighterline - 26 courses, including English Comp. I & II, Western Civilization I & II, U.S. History I & II, Intro. to Sociology, Intro to Philosophy, Cultural Anthropology, Environmental Science, Science of Nutrition, Business Law, Financial Accounting, etc.

ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra

CLEP: Humanities 56, Social Sciences and History 58

FEMA: 6 credits

DSST: Civil War and Reconstruction 71, Introduction to Vietnam War 69, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 64, Modern Middle East 71.

TESC courses: War and American Society (A), Liberal Arts Capstone (A).

120/120! I'm there!

"Another day has passed and I didn't use Algebra once."
" Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
AFAIK, NYU SCPS doesn't even offer an Accounting certificate, at least not a credit one. I disagree with many on this board and think that tuition should only be one factor in the decision-making process and not the sole factor, but even if SCPS did offer a credit certificate in Accounting, what would be the point? You'd be getting a certificate which would be rendered useless by your CPA from the continuing education department of one of the most expensive private universities in the country. If it was offered through Stern, I might see some value in it (albeit still not enough to justify the money/time involved), but it's offered through SCPS so it doesn't even come with the benefits of association with Stern. (among which includes AACSB accreditation, which smooths the CPA process in some states)

I recommend the conventional method of either taking the accounting courses you need at a local school/LSU Online and filling the remainder of the 150 hours with credit from wherever, or getting a MSA from an AACSB business school. (most of which require accounting/business prereqs and all of which will also become useless once you get your CPA)
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

corpsole2 Wrote:Has anyone here taken an online course from NYU? I am looking for a good online program to do the thirty credits I need to sit for the CPA exam, and NYU School of Professional Studies has an Accounting Certificate.

Also, is it credit based? I need to take at least six credits in a semester to qualify for a student loan.

You could just give them your first born. Or an arm. Or a leg. Last time I looked at NYU they wanted about $1000/credit.
Yanji Wrote:AFAIK, NYU SCPS doesn't even offer an Accounting certificate, at least not a credit one. I disagree with many on this board and think that tuition should only be one factor in the decision-making process and not the sole factor, but even if SCPS did offer a credit certificate in Accounting, what would be the point? You'd be getting a certificate which would be rendered useless by your CPA from the continuing education department of one of the most expensive private universities in the country. If it was offered through Stern, I might see some value in it (albeit still not enough to justify the money/time involved), but it's offered through SCPS so it doesn't even come with the benefits of association with Stern. (among which includes AACSB accreditation, which smooths the CPA process in some states)

I recommend the conventional method of either taking the accounting courses you need at a local school/LSU Online and filling the remainder of the 150 hours with credit from wherever, or getting a MSA from an AACSB business school. (most of which require accounting/business prereqs and all of which will also become useless once you get your CPA)

Well, I noticed you earned your MBA from Indiana University. How are they for graduate degrees.

Thing is, I pretty much know that I want to focus on financial planning/CPA careers, since I am halfway there as a tax preparer. I am accepted at WGU for an MS in Management, but I still am looking at options.
A.A. General Studies- TESC, 2013
B.A. History, TESC, 2014 - Arnold Fletcher Award - 4.0 GPA
M.A. Government, Security Studies - Johns Hopkins University, Class of 2018.

Straighterline - 26 courses, including English Comp. I & II, Western Civilization I & II, U.S. History I & II, Intro. to Sociology, Intro to Philosophy, Cultural Anthropology, Environmental Science, Science of Nutrition, Business Law, Financial Accounting, etc.

ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra

CLEP: Humanities 56, Social Sciences and History 58

FEMA: 6 credits

DSST: Civil War and Reconstruction 71, Introduction to Vietnam War 69, Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union 64, Modern Middle East 71.

TESC courses: War and American Society (A), Liberal Arts Capstone (A).

120/120! I'm there!

"Another day has passed and I didn't use Algebra once."
" Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein
corpsole2 Wrote:Well, I noticed you earned your MBA from Indiana University. How are they for graduate degrees.

Thing is, I pretty much know that I want to focus on financial planning/CPA careers, since I am halfway there as a tax preparer. I am accepted at WGU for an MS in Management, but I still am looking at options.
I got my IU MBA on campus, but they do offer a few graduate degrees online. Unfortunately, they don't offer a MSA degree and their online MBA is more of a general program. They were the first top 20 business school to offer an online MBA though, so the programs are well-established and if one of their graduate degrees suits your interests, it's definitely worth considering.

If you're interested in a well-regarded online MSA program, I know that UConn and the University of South Dakota offer online MSAs. These are offered through their business schools so have AACSB accreditation. You'd probably need somewhere between 39-45 credits to complete either program including the prereq courses, but that should make you eligible to take the CPA in most states. (some particularly draconian states such as Texas require you to take a certain number of accounting credits on-campus) If you're considering direct substitutes for WGU's MS Management, the University of Alabama offers an online MA in Management that I think is one of the best buys in online education.

My MBA is more of a Finance degree so I took Auditing through LSU Online and I'm glad I did. They're one of the most popular sources of accounting credit for prospective CPAs and while taking their courses won't really add any brand name appeal to your resume, they're great for "checking the box".
CPA (WA), CFA Level III Candidate

Currently pursuing: ALM, Data Science - Harvard University, Cambridge, MA (12/48, on hold for CFA/life commitments)
MBA, Finance/Accounting - Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 2015
BSBA, General Management - Thomas Edison State College, Trenton, NJ, 2012

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fastest way to get into graduate school megaworp 20 873 03-22-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: davewill
Star a JD for JSD: another Northwestern California University School of Law journey thread jsd 31 6,839 03-08-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: HogwartsSchool
  Harvard Extension School Students Rally for Degree Name Change smartdegree 116 15,339 02-22-2024, 09:51 AM
Last Post: sarahmac
  Northwestern California University School of Law - My Journey GoodYellowDogs 47 14,273 02-14-2024, 11:24 AM
Last Post: MFG
  Engineering Masters with UMPI liberal studies bachelors tmikula 8 1,055 01-22-2024, 06:42 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  School of Business and Trade evaluation bjcheung77 12 1,244 01-11-2024, 10:36 PM
Last Post: adrian052
  European Grad Studies Abroad: Cost of Living vs Low Tuition Fees bjcheung77 7 1,406 12-23-2023, 08:43 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  SUNY Buffalo State : 15 credits transfer Msc Multidisciplinary Studies durain 6 1,077 11-17-2023, 05:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Medical School, AMCAS, Prerequisites, Pass or fail, online college, etc... CanICode 22 3,347 10-18-2023, 08:38 AM
Last Post: CanICode
  Seeking a grad school OTmina 4 1,061 10-11-2023, 11:13 PM
Last Post: OTmina