Poll: Which is your preferred name for a Masters degree focused on Leadership?
This poll is closed.
MBA-Leadership (Masters in Business Administration - Leadership)
78.57%
11 78.57%
MAOL (Masters in Organizational Leadership)
21.43%
3 21.43%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Names of a Masters MBA-Leadership VS MBA
I've noticed a recent trend in a lot more universities now offering a "Master's in Organizational Leadership" but others are offering a "Masters in Business Administration - Leadership". The courses are often very similar. Both of them typically focus on an organization's leadership skills in a business environment. A lot of MBAs now days have specializations, including Leadership, Human Resources, Accounting, Project Management, IT, etc. 

If you had a choice, would you prefer this degree to be called the Masters in Organizational Leadership or a Masters in Business Administration - Leadership?
I don't know, but if all things are equal between candidates, an MBA is going to beat an MAOL just on familiarity alone.
The MBA will usually trump the MA with a similar concentration regardless of specialty.
Here is what WGU says about their offerings which are similar to what was mentioned above, an MBA vs MSML.
The MBA & MSML share courses, these can be considered core ones, the electives are the differences.
Newer Link: https://www.wgu.edu/blog/is-the-mba-or-t...e1903.html
Older Link: https://www.wgu.edu/blog/mba-vs-ms-manag...p1712.html
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
An MBA is a known quantity - and a useful one.  I'd choose it over an MAOL if I needed it for a promotion at work.

I consider the MAOL a check-the-box degree, just like a BALS.  It's not even an MBA-lite, because generally there aren't many MBA requirements (Econ, Finance, Accounting, etc.).  If a company is looking for an MBA for something, they are not going to accept your MAOL in place of it - you won't be in the same league with MBA's.

That said, I think an MBA sounds awful <blech>, and if I HAD to get a masters degree, it would certainly be an MAOL. Those actually look interesting to me.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Looking at WGU's MSL vs. MBA, there are only 3 courses in common.

The things in the MBA that are missing from the MSL:
Ops Management
Global Econ
Marketing
Accounting
Finance
Data-Driven Decision Making

Literally all of the "hard" classes are not in the MSL.  You would probably flounder in a conference room surrounded by the CEO, CFO, and UL Management, all of whom have MBA's.  I'm guessing only someone in HR would dream of having an MSL in this type of situation.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • collegechick, jsd
Completely agree with everything dfrecore said -- with the exception that there are actually 4 courses, not 3 courses that overlap at WGU, which I list below. But that's besides the point.

The MBA just has a more marketable "brand," and Org. Leadership isn't a substitute for it. They're two different skillsets. But MBAs are what the business world are accustomed to, and it's what they will generally be looking for.

But, like dfrecore, i find OL much more interesting of a prospect that an MBA program on a personal interest level. If it was just the knowledge I wanted and not a particular career outcome, I'd rather go with an OL. But if I wanted a leg up in the business world, 9 times out of 10 the MBA would be the better bet.

WGU's MBA/MSML overlapping courses:
-Managing Organizations and Leading People 
-Managing Human Capital 
-Management Communication
-Ethical Leadership
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jsd's post:
  • jch
(06-13-2021, 01:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote: An MBA is a known quantity - and a useful one.  I'd choose it over an MAOL if I needed it for a promotion at work.

I consider the MAOL a check-the-box degree, just like a BALS.  It's not even an MBA-lite, because generally there aren't many MBA requirements (Econ, Finance, Accounting, etc.).  If a company is looking for an MBA for something, they are not going to accept your MAOL in place of it - you won't be in the same league with MBA's.

That said, I think an MBA sounds awful <blech>, and if I HAD to get a masters degree, it would certainly be an MAOL. Those actually look interesting to me.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ops Management
Global Econ
Marketing
Accounting
Finance

Literally all of the "hard" classes are not in the MSL.  You would probably flounder in a conference room surrounded by the CEO, CFO, and UL Management, all of whom have MBA's.  I'm guessing only someone in HR would dream of having an MSL in this type of situation.

EDIT: How in the world did I confuse this with WGU's MSML? You see, this is what 3 hours of sleep will cause, LOL! I had to delete a lot, smh.

An HR person should consider a degree in HRM since it's a direct match to their chosen position.

Less than 1/3rd of CEOs even have MBAs (Forbes). So don't get too caught up in the MBA myth for CEOs. It will no doubt help, it can't hurt, but it's highly unlikely most people in that room will have an MBA... it is definitely likely they will have a Master's in something.
(06-13-2021, 01:31 PM)dfrecore Wrote: An MBA is a known quantity - and a useful one.  I'd choose it over an MAOL if I needed it for a promotion at work.

Ops Management
Global Econ
Marketing
Accounting
Finance

This is so funny and exactly how I feel.  I'm seriously contemplating WGU's MS in Management/Leadership just to have a Master's degree.  I worry that it might be too painful, dry, and boring.  Plus I don't really want a management position.  However, if I find a work at your pace Masters in PR/Advertising, hands down that would be my pick.  Gah, I just want to escape the executive assistant rut!
Universal Life Church- PhD Philosophy in Religion (This was a funny vanity degree)
WGU- MS Management and Leadership- 2021
TESU- BALS concentration Social Science & ASNSM Computer Science- 2021
Red Rocks CC- Associates of General Studies
U of California- Project Management - 2021
Texas A&M Extension Engineering Service- Death Investigation, Information Risk Management, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Incident Analysis & Response, Disaster Recovery for Information Systems, Cyber Ethics, Cyber Law &White Collar Crime, Information Security for Everyone- 2016
State of Nevada- TAM & Alcohol Awareness Certification- 2015 
Allegra Learning LLC- Food, Nutrition, and Health- 2015
Dept of Homeland Security- Continuity of Operation, Protecting Your Home or Small Business from Disaster, Decision Making & Problem Solving, Effective Communication, Leadership & Influence- 2008
FAA- certified Flight attendant

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 709 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 462 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 655 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 368 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,231 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,120 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,824 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 584 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Masters level credits from Sophia and others? jb111 24 1,794 02-09-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: Darknigh7
  New MA in Leadership from Kairos U NotJoeBiden 7 724 02-06-2024, 07:20 PM
Last Post: housecat